Standard Guitar music going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

He doesn't do much for me like. Sounds like he needs smoke more tabs. Bit of a cross between Kermit and that Bonamassa dullard.

Oasis have good songs marra. A lot of rock bands fall flat when it comes to writing actual songs.
You on the right band ? he's proper old school

Not a fan of most rock but the songs are strong from this lot

That’s just a pleasant song that. Nowhere near what we’re on about here.

Check out Glay, a Japanese band who have fairly recently played to crowds of 200,000+ at their "Glay EXPO" stadium special one-off gigs inbetween their regular tours.

Soz but nah. Awful.

Might not be your cup of tea, but they're probably one of the biggest bands in the world of the past 20 or 30 years and are guitar-based. We just never hear about Japanese stuff over here in the UK unless it has women dressed as schoolgirls or men dressed as women dressed as schoolgirls in the band.

It's Muse innit.

And anyway, I think they're more like a cross between Aerosmith and Wet Wet Wet...

:)

Last edited:
Might not be your cup of tea, but they're probably one of the biggest bands in the world of the past 20 or 30 years and are guitar-based. We just never hear about Japanese stuff over here in the UK unless it has women dressed as schoolgirls or men dressed as women dressed as schoolgirls in the band.

And anyway, I think they're more like a cross between Aerosmith and Wet Wet Wet...

:)
What about that Korean band that sold out Wembley the other week? You do. BTS or some shite.

That’s just a pleasant song that. Nowhere near what we’re on about here.
Just responding to Chris's criticism of the singer ,not suggesting they're the new messiahs .They are relatively new ,successful and have guitars though

Aye but you need new music. That’s exactly my point, you want new stuff to make you think differently.
Non of the bands mentioned do or did that mind they just landed with a fresh take on an old formula and it caught peoples attention . Sleaford mods or Slaves or something make you think differently ,even Royal blood ,making all that noise with one bass

Last edited:
Royal Blood
Catfish
Miles Kane
DMAs
The Amazons
Blossoms
The Sherlocks
Gang of Youths
Foals

All have decent tunes kicking about. As for starting a revolution via music- I can't see any of them doing that, don't think any of them are particularly political

Blossoms sound like the Pet Shop Boys.

Check out Glay, a Japanese band who have fairly recently played to crowds of 200,000+ at their "Glay EXPO" stadium special one-off gigs inbetween their regular tours.

Fuckin' hell.

Yay just like to hear some noise to fill that void between ya lugs I reckon.

Fuckin' hell.

Yay just like to hear some noise to fill that void between ya lugs I reckon.

Not really my cup of tea either to be fair. All I was saying was, massive stadium-playing guitar-based bands are alive and well elsewhere in the world, it's just Britain that has a shite music industry that isn't producing (or sustaining) bands capable of gigs that size.

Not really my cup of tea either to be fair. All I was saying was, massive stadium-playing guitar-based bands are alive and well elsewhere in the world, it's just Britain that has a shite music industry that isn't producing (or sustaining) bands capable of gigs that size.
Yeah but nobody is on about selling out. I’m on about a really interesting new band that loads of kids and adults like that create a scene. We haven’t had that since the 90s. This isn’t comparable.

Yeah but nobody is on about selling out. I’m on about a really interesting new band that loads of kids and adults like that create a scene. We haven’t had that since the 90s. This isn’t comparable.

Well, maybe these guys are "sell-outs" in that they're very poppy, very mainstream and not in the slightest bit challenging to listen to, but surely the same could be said of Oasis, one of the three bands you mentioned originally?

Fair enough Nirvana were a bit new and different for us in the UK who weren't already familiar with the Grunge scene or the American alternative rock scene that had been evolving since the early 80's. They didn't create the scene, they were just mainstream enough while still just about being in the scene that they became popular icons of the scene to the rest of the world.

And Led Zep? You couldn't really say that they created a scene or were particularly "interesting and new" with what they did, they were just really bloody good at it. At the start they were pretty standard blues-rock with a lot of their songs. The sort of thing loads of bands were doing.

For me, a band "sells out" when they start off doing one thing, gain a bit of a following, then change their music to eliminate most of what made them famous in favour of a more poppy mainstream sound. (See Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Californication album for more details). Glay wouldn't fall into that category as they made no secret from the start of being a pop-rock band. Their name is the Japanisation of the word "grey", to indicate a cross between black (rock) and white (pop) [according to the bit of their wiki page I just read]. They're literally doing exactly what it says on the tin. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back