Standard Guitar music going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah but nobody is on about selling out. I’m on about a really interesting new band that loads of kids and adults like that create a scene. We haven’t had that since the 90s. This isn’t comparable.
Hear what your saying but no one saw those bands coming so who knows what form they'll take .The Killers were pretty big at the outset and had a buzz about them,Kol too .Sex on fire and Mr Brightside are above any Oasis tunes murdered by pub bands every weekend to a deaf public

Allow me to point out the musical genius of a certain Scotsman by the name of Gerry Cinnamon. He's got the X factor

Well, maybe these guys are "sell-outs" in that they're very poppy, very mainstream and not in the slightest bit challenging to listen to, but surely the same could be said of Oasis, one of the three bands you mentioned originally?

Fair enough Nirvana were a bit new and different for us in the UK who weren't already familiar with the Grunge scene or the American alternative rock scene that had been evolving since the early 80's. They didn't create the scene, they were just mainstream enough while still just about being in the scene that they became popular icons of the scene to the rest of the world.

And Led Zep? You couldn't really say that they created a scene or were particularly "interesting and new" with what they did, they were just really bloody good at it. At the start they were pretty standard blues-rock with a lot of their songs. The sort of thing loads of bands were doing.

For me, a band "sells out" when they start off doing one thing, gain a bit of a following, then change their music to eliminate most of what made them famous in favour of a more poppy mainstream sound. (See Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Californication album for more details). Glay wouldn't fall into that category as they made no secret from the start of being a pop-rock band. Their name is the Japanisation of the word "grey", to indicate a cross between black (rock) and white (pop) [according to the bit of their wiki page I just read]. They're literally doing exactly what it says on the tin. :)
I read selling out as selling owt ,don't think the chilis did with Californication mind you .It didn't pander to something happening ,it was a mix of old them and a newer more mellow sound which came from Frusciante's harmonies and influences which he carried into solo stuff .

Not really my cup of tea either to be fair. All I was saying was, massive stadium-playing guitar-based bands are alive and well elsewhere in the world, it's just Britain that has a shite music industry that isn't producing (or sustaining) bands capable of gigs that size.
Fair comment....
Whether you like them or not, you've gotta be impressed by gigs the size of this?

Or this...?

...though I couldn't really give a shite about this.

They seem to go nuts for rock concerts in South America too.

Nee fan of Iron Maiden, but that film of their's where Bruce flies them all over the various arseholes of the earth to play massive rock concerts is class.

I read selling out as selling owt ,don't think the chilis did with Californication mind you .It didn't pander to something happening ,it was a mix of old them and a newer more mellow sound which came from Frusciante's harmonies and influences which he carried into solo stuff .
It's by far and away their best record I know that much.

Imagine thinking ripping off a Budgie riff is selling out. :lol:

This was the discerning point for me. If you see "old them" as Under The Bridge then it's not that much of a departure. If you see "old them" as Freaky Styley, Mothers Milk, Uplift Mofo Party Plan etc. then there really isn't that much of "old them" on Californication at all. Where were the kickass funk-rock songs with Keidis' rapping on them? "Their sound" that made them famous on the alternative scene long before Blood Sugar Sex Magic came along was pretty much gone. All that was left was this mellow guitar-pop vibe that I wasn't into personally.

I don't want to diss them too hard about the album though. They've been through some tough times and managed to stay alive. They deserve some proper money out of the industry they'd spent so long delivering great music to for not much gain up until that point. Fair play to them. The album's not my bag, but plenty of folks loved it.

It's by far and away their most mainstream poppy album. "Best"? Well, each to their own. I much prefer the very early stuff and to some extent the harder sound of certain tracks on One Hot Minute.

If "selling out" isn't "suddenly going way more mainstream, resulting in massively increased sales" then how do you define it?[/QUOTE]

Fair comment....

...though I couldn't really give a shite about this.

They seem to go nuts for rock concerts in South America too.

Nee fan of Iron Maiden, but that film of their's where Bruce flies them all over the various arseholes of the earth to play massive rock concerts is class.

Have a like for the Maiden bit anyway. :)

Last edited:
This was the discerning point for me. If you see "old them" as Under The Bridge then it's not that much of a departure. If you see "old them" as Freaky Styley, Mothers Milk, Uplift Mofo Party Plan etc. then there really isn't that much of "old them" on Californication at all. Where were the kickass funk-rock songs with Keidis' rapping on them? "Their sound" that made them famous on the alternative scene long before Blood Sugar Sex Magic came along was pretty much gone. All that was left was this mellow guitar-pop vibe that I wasn't into personally.
Have a like for the Maiden bit anyway. :)
That always happens though,how many frantic slapping mad songs can you release ? which musician worth his salt wants to stay still musically? .If early fans can't deal with it ,tough .Like people saying The Jam and The Poilce shouldn't have split up etc etc or the ones who are jealous when others start liking "their" band . To most Blood sex is where it all came together ,conceived in a very natural way .Its 100% them as is Californication for me

That always happens though,how many frantic slapping mad songs can you release ? which musician worth his salt wants to stay still musically? .If early fans can't deal with it ,tough .Like people saying The Jam and The Poilce shouldn't have split up etc etc or the ones who are jealous when others start liking "their" band . To most Blood sex is where it all came together ,conceived in a very natural way .Its 100% them as is Californication for me

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with a band's sound evolving. Take The Beatles for an example. Their early albums were teeny-bop pop to the core then they did the opposite of selling out; they went anti-pop with the likes of Revolver, even more so with the LSD phase and then went on to a much more mature and accomplished sound towards the end. Fantastic career and fully deserve to be lauded as one of the greatest bands ever.

Something will come out of nowhere and snowball.
I still have faith in the teenagers! I remember the 1st time a mate gave me a tape of never mind and the 1st time I heard oasis on the evening session.

They can't all be into love Island and selfies.

Also, greta van fleet are class live.

The ginger kid strumming a guitar hasn’t done too badly.

Depends what you mean. If you mean he’s made a killing peddling bland run of the mill pap to simpletons and kids then you’re right. The OP is correct of course, the future is electronic and it always has been since the seventies really. It’s the only genre that pushes forward as opposed to looking backwards for inspiration.

Allow me to point out the musical genius of a certain Scotsman by the name of Gerry Cinnamon. He's got the X factor

:lol:

Looka man, We All have different viewpoints, but I think we can all agree red hot chilli peppers are f***ing dogshit, and the arsehole on the bass should either take up jazz guitar, or be eradicated from the earth.

I don't want to diss them too hard about the album though. They've been through some tough times and managed to stay alive. They deserve some proper money out of the industry they'd spent so long delivering great music to for not much gain up until that point. Fair play to them. The album's not my bag, but plenty of folks loved it.

It's by far and away their most mainstream poppy album. "Best"? Well, each to their own. I much prefer the very early stuff and to some extent the harder sound of certain tracks on One Hot Minute.

If "selling out" isn't "suddenly going way more mainstream, resulting in massively increased sales" then how do you define it?

Have a like for the Maiden bit anyway. :)[/QUOTE]
I love Californication like think it's a great album. Although you're right it's not like the earlier stuff but it's my most listened to RHCP album anyway.

Looka man, We All have different viewpoints, but I think we can all agree red hot chilli peppers are f***ing dogshit, and the arsehole on the bass should either take up jazz guitar, or be eradicated from the earth.
Not agreeing with ya so ner

Depends what you mean. If you mean he’s made a killing peddling bland run of the mill pap to simpletons and kids then you’re right. The OP is correct of course, the future is electronic and it always has been since the seventies really. It’s the only genre that pushes forward as opposed to looking backwards for inspiration.

Your reply was going so well until I read that.:evil:

I love Californication like think it's a great album. Although you're right it's not like the earlier stuff but it's my most listened to RHCP album anyway.

It was a mischievous example because I know it's a very popular album. I guess the point I was trying to make is, one man's scene is another man's sell-out. While that Japanese band Gley might be very mainstream in their sound, to say they don't count for this thread because they haven't created a "scene" or because they're "sell-outs" is nonsense. I'm sure their millions of fans feel a part of a scene and don't think of them as sell-outs.

It’s the only genre that pushes forward as opposed to looking backwards for inspiration.

So you're saying that no electronic artist has ever been inspired by one that came before it, and no other genre has ever broken the boundaries of what came before?

I think you're seeing things through electronic specs, mate. :lol:

Last edited:

I thought Californication was class, a breath of fresh air but By The Way and everything they’ve done since is horrendously dull!

I honestly do think the wheels have fallen off and it’s over. There’s been no new groundbreaking bands for donkeys now. 90s was 30 years ago nearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back