Standard Guitar music going forward.

Might have already had them, who knows. Sex On Fire and Mr Brightside have legs. They're both about 15 year old now and the popularity hasn't really waned except maybe for overplay. Both bands have a few more crowd pleasers up their sleeves. They're nee cultural phenomenon, but they're big bands in their own right.
As it goes I really rate the KoL, like a lot of their tunes. New stuff has gone terribly MOR like, they were much better when you couldn't understand what the fuck Caleb was saying. Killers are a bit too soft for me, although again they have a good few crowd pleasers as you said

Aye but There’s a fair few more than that man. There was always some thing from late sixties till early 2000s. There’s been absolutely fuck all since. Arctic Monkeys have come close like.
There's plenty just not hitting the scale of the people mentioned ,
The Arctics weren't that big for a good while ,well liked and good following but playing normal venues,Oasis the same .It's still there just not on a crest at the moment .
Radio 1 yesterday playing Stormzy and stuff during the day , I thought the builders and painters of the country can't sing along to this while grafting :lol:

The Arctics weren't that big for a good while ,well liked and good following but playing normal venues,Oasis the same .It's still there just not on a crest at the moment .
Radio 1 yesterday playing Stormzy and stuff during the day , I thought the builders and painters of the country can't sing along to this while grafting :lol:
Think you're wrong about Oasis - in this country at least. They were filling stadiums from 1995 'til they disbanded, and Liam and Noel are still playing massive venues on their own.

Longevity seems key these days.

Think you're wrong about Oasis - in this country at least. They were filling stadiums from 1995 'til they disbanded, and Liam and Noel are still playing massive venues on their own.

Yep, Oasis headlined Glastonbury in 1995 and, obviously, did their two nights at Knebworth in 1996 (125k plus there both nights), as well as other big venues in both years. In May 94, they were playing places like Northampton Roadmenders, Bath Moles, Cambridge Boat Race, had moved up to the big old school provincial venues by late 94 and kept playing bigger places.

Aye probably right,i knew of them what seems like well before Morning glory,my mate saw them twice on the back of the first album ,local.I think even into Morning glory it took a while then kapow . Don't know about them filling stadiums til the end (less stadiums perhaps),they certainly weren't selling the records they had been.These bands mentioned though arctics,nirvana ,oasis they are always quoted as a "breath of fresh air " because stuff was pretty dull just before they happened .I don't mind bands turning up with a bang and going away me.Far too many hang around for too long

Last edited:
Aye probably right,i knew of them what seems like well before Morning glory,my mate saw them twice on the back of the first album ,local.I think even into Morning glory it took a while then kapow . Don't know about them filling stadiums til the end (less stadiums perhaps),they certainly weren't selling the records they had been.These bands mentioned though arctics,nirvana ,oasis they are always quoted as a "breath of fresh air " because stuff was pretty dull just before they happened .I don't mind bands turning up with a bang and going away me.Far too many hang around for too long
The last album underperformed by their standards, but the played Wembley, the Millenium Stadium, the SoL, Murrayfield, Slane, and 3 nights in Heaton Park on the last tour. IF they reformed, it'd be a huge tour.

Keyboards-geek. Guitar-cool. That's the way it's always been in music Chris. It's a undeniable golden rule of music.
Bass - gimpy losers.

The next big thing could be just around the corner, the bands you all have held up as examples of 'huge impact bands that make a lasting impression on people' seem to come along once a generation
When would you say we last had a band that had a lasting impact?

The last album underperformed by their standards, but the played Wembley, the Millenium Stadium, the SoL, Murrayfield, Slane, and 3 nights in Heaton Park on the last tour. IF they reformed, it'd be a huge tour.

Bass - gimpy losers.
Havent checked numbers but I thought all the later output bombed in comparison to the Glory days ? even Noel claims most of it was shit or does he not .All I heard was the occasional crap single and headlines about fights

Yeah but that’s why I started the thread. There isn’t plenty there’s none. Hence asking the question

When would you say we last had a band that had a lasting impact?
Well it cant be a new band
Its good when you hear people like Royal blood citing Muse as an influence ,nothing to do with either bands more one modern successful act influenced by another .That's how it works .The industry is different now ,bands aren't allowed the time to find themselves or make a risky album

Well it cant be a new band
Its good when you hear people like Royal blood citing Muse as an influence ,nothing to do with either bands more one modern successful act influenced by another .That's how it works .The industry is different now ,bands aren't allowed the time to find themselves or make a risky album
They could like. If they sign for an indie label that will give them a chance. Oasis did actually. Say if they’d have been picked up by Sony or summat who knows what they may have been.

Yeah but that’s why I started the thread. There isn’t plenty there’s none. Hence asking the question
Your saying it has no future because Oasis 2 haven't arrived ,theres loads of guitar stuff on the go regardless of how you want it to appear and on what scale .Grime was played in small London clubs a few years back now its flavour of the month ,its just cycles

Havent checked numbers but I thought all the later output bombed in comparison to the Glory days ? even Noel claims most of it was shit or does he not .All I heard was the occasional crap single and headlines about fights
People lapped them up - the last album still debuted at number 1, and they still shifted over 1.6m copies (though it is their lowest selling album).

And no, I don't think he does.

Your saying it has no future because Oasis 2 haven't arrived ,theres loads of guitar stuff on the go regardless of how you want it to appear and on what scale .Grime was played in small London clubs a few years back now its flavour of the month ,its just cycles
I didn’t say it has no future I was asking if people thought it would ever see a band the ilk of the ones in my op.

They could like. If they sign for an indie label that will give them a chance. Oasis did actually. Say if they’d have been picked up by Sony or summat who knows what they may have been.
Yeah indie labels are happy with slow burning more long plan stuff to a point ,the new bands I listen too seem to be in that camp .Those who want to find it will find it but its away from the Big players ,just how it is now

Back