Standard Guitar music going forward.

I didn’t say it has no future I was asking if people thought it would ever see a band the ilk of the ones in my op.
The listeners decide
I put a thread on here saying if no more music was recorded we have enough to last us forever .Its all been done ,people hang onto the "they were the best" for bands like Zep or Oasis so they are off the map with regards looking for other stuff etc ,its new young fans that drive stuff like the Nirvana breakthrough or Oasis ,its just timing and a bit luck.It will happen again .

Havent checked numbers but I thought all the later output bombed in comparison to the Glory days ? even Noel claims most of it was shit or does he not .All I heard was the occasional crap single and headlines about fights
Was pretty much patchy, half arsed shite, with a few gems. Andy Bell ruins EVERYTHING he touches. Don’t believe the truth was a great English pop album though, and the singers last great performance.

Was pretty much patchy, half arsed shite, with a few gems. Andy Bell ruins EVERYTHING he touches. Don’t believe the truth was a great English pop album though, and the singers last great performance.
One of my mates kept buying and enjoying them ,happens a lot with bands,the masses go away and they crack on .I gave up sticking with bands ,too much choice around

Rival Sons anyone????
I like the local band Demob Happy..........
Great band ,deserve to be way bigger

The last few new guitar bands I got excited about were Fat White Family (debut album 2013), Savages (debut album 2013), Sacred Paws (debut album 2017) and Drahla (debut album 2019). I grew up an indie kid but did get a bit bored with many of the new guitar bands emerging. You just have to look a bit harder now that there's so much easily available with youtube, spotify etc. Not sure when we'll see another scene as the printed weekly music press seemed largely responsible for creating the names to go with the scene and they aren't around now.

People lapped them up - the last album still debuted at number 1, and they still shifted over 1.6m copies (though it is their lowest selling album).

And no, I don't think he does.
Saw an interview and he said one album was awful,they were stoned out of their brains and full of themselves etc ,cant listen to it etc

The last few new guitar bands I got excited about were Fat White Family (debut album 2013), Savages (debut album 2013), Sacred Paws (debut album 2017) and Drahla (debut album 2019). I grew up an indie kid but did get a bit bored with many of the new guitar bands emerging. You just have to look a bit harder now that there's so much easily available with youtube, spotify etc. Not sure when we'll see another scene as the printed weekly music press seemed largely responsible for creating the names to go with the scene and they aren't around now.
The labels aren't driving it anymore ,smaller bands doing it for the right reasons making modest livings.Youtube on smart tv's is the job ,one find to another ,great stuff

Old school rock and roll ,great singer,good musicians ,plenty of that space you wanted .Do the back to basics stuff way better than Wolfmother and GVF Etc .Way better than later Oasis Chris haway,if only because they know what a bassline is
He doesn't do much for me like. Sounds like he needs smoke more tabs. Bit of a cross between Kermit and that Bonamassa dullard.

Oasis have good songs marra. A lot of rock bands fall flat when it comes to writing actual songs.

Last edited:
I had a listen but they’re like a tribute band. The polar opposite of what I was on about. I’m on about something brand new and fresh coming out.

In my 61 years I can remember few occasions when I heard something and was struck by how refreshing and different it was. Some examples are

David Bowie's "Starman"
Pink Floyd "Meddle" (the track, not the album)
Adam And The Ants "Antmusic"
Dire Straits "Sultans Of Swing"
Brian Eno "Music For Airports"
Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Faith No More "Epic"

A few more which will occur to me later.

When would you say we last had a band that had a lasting impact?
Last generation. Obviously I can't say this generation, because then they won't have been around long enough to have a lasting impact
But SMB faves the Courteeners have been around for over a decade, still draw huge crowds at gigs and sell loads of albums. Not a fan of all their stuff like, a lot of it is pish
Arctics are the same, loved by many even if they have only had 3/6 good albums imho obvs.
Kasabian, same- appeared around 2005, regularly put on huge shows and continue to sell records.
Stereophonics, been around over 20 years- still massive

All subjective, i can feel the hate already for the 4 I mentioned, but beauty is in the ear of the beholder

Add Biffy Clyro to the list anarl, been around years and are one of the best live bands I've seen

Last edited:
Add Biffy Clyro to the list anarl, been around years and are one of the best live bands I've seen
They're a good band like. Not massively to my taste but some decent songs there, excellent musicians, and they're definitely worth a watch live - saw them 2nd on the bill at Download and they blew Metallica's black album set off the stage.

They're a good band like. Not massively to my taste but some decent songs there, excellent musicians, and they're definitely worth a watch live - saw them 2nd on the bill at Download and they blew Metallica's black album set off the stage.
Their good songs are really really good. Their chaff is bizarre and doesn't sound right

The listeners decide
I put a thread on here saying if no more music was recorded we have enough to last us forever .Its all been done ,people hang onto the "they were the best" for bands like Zep or Oasis so they are off the map with regards looking for other stuff etc ,its new young fans that drive stuff like the Nirvana breakthrough or Oasis ,its just timing and a bit luck.It will happen again .
Aye but you need new music. That’s exactly my point, you want new stuff to make you think differently.

Back