Sri Lanka (Galle) November 2018

In Bahrain. Fell asleep when they were dishing the grub out on the last flight so got nowt. Had to sprint from last flight to connection so nowt in the terminal. Praying me luggage is coming to Colombo with me.

In Bahrain. Fell asleep when they were dishing the grub out on the last flight so got nowt. Had to sprint from last flight to connection so nowt in the terminal. Praying me luggage is coming to Colombo with me.
It all turned up for loads of us on our flight. Services club is decent for a beer, through the fort entrance directly on your right.

It all turned up for loads of us on our flight. Services club is decent for a beer, through the fort entrance directly on your right.

Just got message. Missed that one. Fort looked quaint but very dull. Was knackered today so has a couple of hours kip at the cricket.

In the harbour stand tomorrow from about 9am.

Went in Sydney Hotel @NorthCountryBoy, seemed OK apart from getting served through a security grill. Went in Joe's next door too.

Last edited:
I saw a glimpse of a flag with mackems on.

Must up the positioning of the flag please.

What were your overall opinions on Galle then lads?

Must be up there in the top 5 test venues imo. (Lords, Cape Town, Kandy and some of the NZ ones would be the other contenders).

Great location, facilities a bit basic though. Not fussed on Sri Lankans either tbh. Galle outside of the fort and cricket ground was an utter shit tip that stunk of fish and stale piss.

Still think Bridgetown is an iconic venue. Would like to do Port of Spain too. Doing Kandy next week, Cape Town in 2020. Wouldn't mind a visit to Basin Reserve.

Safe journey home to the two lads off here.

Great location, facilities a bit basic though. Not fussed on Sri Lankans either tbh. Galle outside of the fort and cricket ground was an utter shit tip that stunk of fish and stale piss.

Still think Bridgetown is an iconic venue. Would like to do Port of Spain too. Doing Kandy next week, Cape Town in 2020. Wouldn't mind a visit to Basin Reserve.

Safe journey home to the two lads off here.

Interesting. I think it's better than Bridgetown cos half of that has basically no one in it. Can't disagree with the rest of your list tho.

We never really tried Galle tbf, we were in Unawatuna which we really liked. Still think it'd be a big loss if they move to a plastic palace instead.

Went to Columbo and gave our Day 4.tickets away. Happy as a pig in in Columbo.

I thought it'd be dead grimy there, interesting. Youse up in Negumbo or in the city?

Last edited:
Interesting. I think it's better than Bridgetown cos half of that has basically no one in it. Can't disagree with the rest of your list tho.

We never really tried Galle tbf, we were in Unawatuna which we really liked. Still think it'd be a big loss if they move to a plastic palace instead.

I thought it'd be dead grimy there, interesting. Youse up in Negumbo or in the city?

Don't think Bridgetown could be totally enclosed now due to lack of space near the scoreboard. The "party stand" they put up for England games is an embarrassment to such an iconic venue.

In the city, booked into the mandarina hotel for a bit of luxury and had a good night last night in a pub called In on the green behind the Galle face Hotel.

In Kandy now. Hot and humid. Overcast.
Sat in the In on the Green in Columbo and loads of English just walked in and one shouted, bloody hell a bar. All on Gin and tonics at 6,000 rupees a bottle for the Gin. Great atmosphere. Looking forward to our new hotel tomorrow Marino Beach still in Columbo.

Sat in the In on the Green in Columbo and loads of English just walked in and one shouted, bloody hell a bar. All on Gin and tonics at 6,000 rupees a bottle for the Gin. Great atmosphere. Looking forward to our new hotel tomorrow Marino Beach still in Columbo.

I think that's the bar we used in 2012. Got a glass partition in the middle of the bar? Also try The Cricket Club Cafe if you haven't already. Its owned by a convict but its a cracking bar with loads of cricketing memorabilia.

Back