Sri Lanka (Galle) November 2018

No idea on digs mate but I'd be surprised if there isn't plenty. Unawatuna got most of the British last time.

There's loads of good touristy/ cultural stuff there. Otherwise it's generally fellas congregating in bars on the night watching PL games. Dead easy to get to know people that way.

The BA normally have a do in on the 3rd or 4th night of the game which is canny. If England have won the players might turn up for a drink, Agnew and Chris Broad are two I can remember speaking at others.

Sri Lanka and WI are the best trips (I've never done NZ mind) so I'd urge you to go. Watching England away is absolutely mint.

Brilliant cheers mate

That was the name of the place I was trying to find next to beach

It’s 50/50 with work!

Are any of the other ones worth going to?

Brilliant cheers mate

That was the name of the place I was trying to find next to beach

It’s 50/50 with work!

Are any of the other ones worth going to?

Mirissa and Hikkaduwa are other resorts. Both are miles away from Galle (10-15 miles) compared to Unawatuna. Bear in mind the days play finishes at 5pm and it's dark by 6pm anarl so you'll be in a tuk tuk in the dark.

They're all great for me, except the UAE which everyone reckons is shite!

I've only done eight tests abroad so I'm not the biggest expert on it but they're all superb in their own way. I'd put SL and WI top and Australia (expensive, shite grounds, not that culturally different) at the bottom - excluding UAE which is meant to be terrible as I say. Many of the Away regulars I've talked to and have done a lot more would say similar.

They're all great for me, except the UAE which everyone reckons is shite!

I've only done eight tests abroad so I'm not the biggest expert on it but they're all great in their own way. I'd put SL and WI top and Australia (expensive, shite grounds, not that culturally different) at the bottom - excluding UAE which is meant to be terrible as I say. Many of the Away regulars I've talked to and done a lot more would say similar.

Have you done Cape Town? Hoping to get there next year.

Aye mate, Graham Onions blocking the final over from Morkel for a draw. We loved it but it's pretty edgy and you have to plan stuff a bit more.

Poledancer off here (RIP) got seven of us staying with a Millwall fan who had a gated house out there. That meant there was always a few of us together which felt safer, if you're doing it in a group like you did the WI I'd say that'd be a good plan.

Newlands is stunning mind, it must be a toss of a coin job between that and Lords for the best ground in the world.

Gulf Air cancelled my connecting flight on my return journey in Bahrain and put me on an earlier one. The only drawback the onward flight to LHR took off 5 hours before I would have got there!

Anyhow, rang them up and they gave me the option of waiting 18 hours for a connection in Bahrain or just move both legs back a day. An extra night in Kandy it is and now deffo watching the first day at Pallekele, possibly the second too.

Will see you there.
I hope to do all 4.
I was there in the 80s when a rebel tour led by Kepler Wessels played there.
Fantastic scenic ground.
Also saw Graham Dilley playing for Natal in PE.

L
Aye mate, Graham Onions blocking the final over from Morkel for a draw. We loved it but it's pretty edgy and you have to plan stuff a bit more.

Poledancer off here (RIP) got seven of us staying with a Millwall fan who had a gated house out there. That meant there was always a few of us together which felt safer, if you're doing it in a group like you did the WI I'd say that'd be a good plan.

Newlands is stunning mind, it must be a toss of a coin job between that and Lords for the best ground in the world.
Lords is the home of cricket, but the setting in Cape Town with Table Mountain in the background means there is no comparison.

That was sold out a while ago.

All booked

Get there really early 8th Nov, staying in Unawatuna for 2 nights.

Backpacking up to Ella on the train & bus from Matara and staying there for two nights.

Train to Kandy for the last two nights then back to Colombo

If you see a git handsome bloke with a Pompey PO Club England flag please feel free to say hello.

Anyone know how much a tuk tuk from Kandy to the Airport will cost approximately? Want to watch the first day at Pallekele but that means the train back to Colombo is no-goer.

Tuk tuk too slow/small/windy for a longer trip.
Dunno from Kandy, but took a taxi from the airport to Hikkaduwa on the old road at night, took about 5 hours, a friend who is married to a Sri Lankan arranged it for me.

On the way back vaguely remember paying about the same from Mirissa to Negombo.
It was 6 years ago, but a longer distance, so possibly the same for you from Kandy.

I haven't looked at the map so am just guessing the distances from memory.

Also took a bus from Mirissa to Colombo, loads of them ply the coastal route, you shouldn't have to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes.
They stop everywhere including Unawatuna and Hikkaduwa.
Cost next to nowt, driven by maniacs.

Silly me, forgot to mention that the taxi from the airport to Hikkaduwa cost around £50

Last edited:
Done for 4 days, £5.74 each including handling fees.
Mint, we've lashed out on the seats hoping for a bit shade.

Three of us so the Son in Law could only book 9 for the first three days (limit of 10 tickets for the test eg. 2 per day x 5 days) so I'm gonna book day 4 th'day

Done for 4 days, £5.74 each including handling fees.
Day 4 sorted !!!!

Last edited:
Mint, we've lashed out on the seats hoping for a bit shade.

Three of us so the Son in Law could only book 9 for the first three days (limit of 10 tickets for the test eg. 2 per day x 5 days) so I'm gonna book day 4 th'day

Day 4 sorted !!!!
Might see you there, flying out Thursday morning. Gulf air from Heathrow.

Last edited:

Back