Sri Lanka (Galle) November 2018

Sat in the In on the Green in Columbo and loads of English just walked in and one shouted, bloody hell a bar. All on Gin and tonics at 6,000 rupees a bottle for the Gin. Great atmosphere. Looking forward to our new hotel tomorrow Marino Beach still in Columbo.

Only one bar in Kandy, and it's dreadful. Food was grim, staff slovenly and slow. Two beers and I fucked off. My "chicken" sandwich consisted of summat akin to Shippams paste thinly spread. :lol:

Last edited:

Only one bar in Kandy, and it's dreadful. Food was grim, staff slovenly and slow. Two beers and I fucked off. My "chicken" sandwich consisted of summat akin to Shippams paste thinly spread. :lol:

You in The Pub by any chance? :D

The Last Drop is the place you want, plus the aforementioned Ozo Hotel has a roof bar that's pretty good but it's out of the middle of Kandy.

Slightly Chilled Lounge Bar in Kandy is canny. Great views of the Buddha and it's owned by Sangakara's family. Its about a 15min tuk tuk ride from the centre of Kandy.

Still in bed in Unawatuna, off home th’day.

Ha don’t a great time and met some great blokes

Cricket was brilliant
Just about to move move into our new and last hotel the Marino Beach for 3 nights, off to Kandy for a day trip on the train tomorrow, Elephant sanctuary on Thursday and then thinking about going home, enjoyed the cricket and met some good people too.

@Paddy O'Dors any updates on Kandy appreciated, is it worth the effort?.

Last edited:
Had a walk up to Asgiriya on the other side of Kandy to visit another test match ground.

Just so happened a Barmy Army XI (or XII at times) were playing (I think) a local side of 9 ex-pat players in a T20. They got mullered. 67/8 off 9 overs, the locals ended up 68/2 off 10.

Logon or register to see this image

Also had a dodge up the Garrison cemetery. Very tranquil place.

Is there a test ground anywhere in the world which sells out bar in England and Australia when they play each other. That's probably only for the first 3 or 4 days.

All four days in Galle were sold out according to the notice on the "ticket office"

Just about to move move into our new and last hotel the Marino Beach for 3 nights, off to Kandy for a day trip on the train tomorrow, Elephant sanctuary on Thursday and then thinking about going home, enjoyed the cricket and met some good people too.

@Paddy O'Dors any updates on Kandy appreciated, is it worth the effort?.

Kandy is OK but a bit of a Buddhist pilgrimage centre so night life low key. Very colonial British. Area around bus/train station absolutely manic during rush hour, never seen owt like it. Prefer the place over Galle if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Had a walk up to Asgiriya on the other side of Kandy to visit another test match ground.

Just so happened a Barmy Army XI (or XII at times) were playing (I think) a local side of 9 ex-pat players in a T20. They got mullered. 67/8 off 9 overs, the locals ended up 68/2 off 10.

Also had a dodge up the Garrison cemetery. Very tranquil place.

All four days in Galle were sold out according to the notice on the "ticket office"

Kandy is OK but a bit of a Buddhist pilgrimage centre so night life low key. Very colonial British. Area around bus/train station absolutely manic during rush hour, never seen owt like it. Prefer the place over Galle if I'm honest.

Watched the BA blog of it earlier. That old test ground looks class. New 'un looks great as well mind.

Presumably a lot less English will be at this one?

Enjoy, very jealous.

Watched the BA blog of it earlier. That old test ground looks class. New 'un looks great as well mind.

Presumably a lot less English will be at this one?

Enjoy, very jealous.

They're hopeful of staging international games there again in the future. Will need a lot of work done on it for that to happen. Ground is owned by the local secondary school apparently. There was a decent one next door too owned by the police force.

Not as many English as in Galle. Lots of white youths but guessing they're on a gap year or similar. Some Septic asked if I was Scotch last neet! :eek::mad:

"Errr, no mate. Are you Canadian"?

They're hopeful of staging international games there again in the future. Will need a lot of work done on it for that to happen. Ground is owned by the local secondary school apparently. There was a decent one next door too owned by the police force.

Not as many English as in Galle. Lots of white youths but guessing they're on a gap year or similar. Some Septic asked if I was Scotch last neet! :eek::mad:

"Errr, no mate. Are you Canadian"?

Last edited:
You in The Pub by any chance? :D

The Last Drop is the place you want, plus the aforementioned Ozo Hotel has a roof bar that's pretty good but it's out of the middle of Kandy.

Service in The Last Drop is an utter shambles mind. Beer arrives 30 minutes after you order it. And I'm sat at the bar!

Back in Kandy after a day at the cricket, cracking day it was too.

Pallekele is a nice ground but doesn't have a lot of charm. Bizarrely they had 15 policemen on the Eastern Grassy Bank to keep law order amongst those few hundred well known cricket hooligans. They also had a water cannon back up behind the media centre in case the boys in green were out of their depth. :lol:

Back home tomorrow, had a great journey round southern and mid Sri Lanka taking in one of the most spectacular train journeys ever. I'm jotting everything down including bus numbers, trains and taxi costs to give helpful advice on here in the future.

Apparently we're playing two tests here in 2020, Kandy & Colombo (just been telt in a pub so might not be true)

Back