Sri Lanka (Galle) November 2018

I'm there from 8 -15. Hoping to take in a day or two of the Galle test then heading to Ella via train/bus for a couple of days, then onto Kandy for a couple of days. Sunderland v Wycombe on 17th knackered my plans to stay longer, all my in laws are Wycombe fans and expect me to be a tour guide for that weekend. :rolleyes:

You staying in Galle for the duration?
Just booked a hotel near to the airport for 2 nights initially to have a gander at Columbo and that area, thinking about 8 nights in or around Galle, or open to suggestions from people who have been there.

Unawatuna was the place to be during 2012. It's nicer than Hikkaduwa if you get the choice.
was looking at this about 1 hour ago.

Was also looking for Visas today and noted a price variation, rang the Sri Lankan embassy in London who informed me that the one I was looking at was a fake website. Just a word of warning.

Last edited:
Just booked a hotel near to the airport for 2 nights initially to have a gander at Columbo and that area, thinking about 8 nights in or around Galle, or open to suggestions from people who have been there.

I'm doing two nights in Unawatuna for the Galle test, (8th & 9th) then heading up to the hill country doing a bit of backpacking. I think the airport is a fair hike from Colombo.

Was also looking for Visas today and noted a price variation, rang the Sri Lankan embassy in London who informed me that the one I was looking at was a fake website. Just a word of warning.

I think Negombo (sp) is where a lot of the independents stay when doing a Colombo test.

We stayed in the Mount Lavinia area of Colombo. Nothing much to write home about but getting a tuk tuk along the Galle Road was an experience.

I'd recommend the Hotel Hill Top in Kandy if anyone's still looking for digs. The food was top notch and, as the name suggests, its at the top of a hill with fantastic views of Kandy and its surrounds.

We stayed in the Mount Lavinia area of Colombo. Nothing much to write home about but getting a tuk tuk along the Galle Road was an experience.

I'd recommend the Hotel Hill Top in Kandy if anyone's still looking for digs. The food was top notch and, as the name suggests, its at the top of a hill with fantastic views of Kandy and its surrounds.

That was sold out a while ago.

All booked

Get there really early 8th Nov, staying in Unawatuna for 2 nights.

Backpacking up to Ella on the train & bus from Matara and staying there for two nights.

Train to Kandy for the last two nights then back to Colombo

If you see a git handsome bloke with a Pompey PO Club England flag please feel free to say hello.

Anyone know how much a tuk tuk from Kandy to the Airport will cost approximately? Want to watch the first day at Pallekele but that means the train back to Colombo is no-goer.

The line up for the first test in Sri Lanka IMO should be....

Jennings
Burns
Ali
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Curran
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

You could literally take a flamethrower to our top order whoever is put in there, so might as well attack a bit, lots of bowling options.....

It'll be sort when you're there mate. Be warned that the 'grass Bank' in Galle basically means sitting on baked dust in 35 degree heat though :lol:

Once in the ground you'll be able to shift around as you please though.

I wouldn't mind paying £15-£20 (£25 at a push) over there tbh, I'm only gonna watch 3 days cricket. Still much cheaper than here and a fair bit cheaper than the Caribbean.

It'll be sort when you're there mate. Be warned that the 'grass Bank' in Galle basically means sitting on baked dust in 35 degree heat though :lol:

Once in the ground you'll be able to shift around as you please though.

Canny. Is there plenty accommodation still available? I had a look but couldn’t quite work out close it was.

I guess you’ve been before? Is there much to do after the cricket? People just out for food n drinks?

Just waiting to see about my new job if I can swindle it

Canny. Is there plenty accommodation still available? I had a look but couldn’t quite work out close it was.

I guess you’ve been before? Is there much to do after the cricket? People just out for food n drinks?

Just waiting to see about my new job if I can swindle it

No idea on digs mate but I'd be surprised if there isn't plenty. Unawatuna got most of the British last time.

There's loads of good touristy/ cultural stuff there. Otherwise it's generally fellas congregating in bars on the night watching PL games. Dead easy to get to know people that way.

The BA normally have a do in on the 3rd or 4th night of the game which is canny. If England have won the players might turn up for a drink, Agnew and Chris Broad are two I can remember speaking at others.

Sri Lanka and WI are the best trips (I've never done NZ mind) so I'd urge you to go. Watching England away is absolutely mint.

Last edited:

Back