Speed limiters in all new cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m in total agreement, far too many people are breaking the law and putting everyone elese at risk, driving is at wreckless standards and there are not enough police to stop it.

I’m in total agreement, far too many people are breaking the law and putting everyone elese at risk, driving is at wreckless standards and there are not enough police to stop it.
Seen an idiot on a motorbike yesterday, turning right into a junction, where a van was waiting to pull out, the sod turned right, between the vans passenger door and the pavement, the van driver just shook his head in disbelief.

Last edited:
Love some of this technology, my first new motor last year and it loses its shit if the traffic ahead has breaked quickly and I get too near......

As someone who loves driving I hate the idea of speed limiters but lets be honest it probably is a good idea in terms of safety.

Glad it wont be applied for this weekend though, imagine Sunderland to London at 60/70 mph when there are naturally points where you are stuck in jams and going much slower.

I do agree that in urban areas it is a no brainer.

My old mans volvo tells you what the speed limit is wherever you’re driving, starts flashing anarl when you gan over it

Cheeky fucker
My Tom Tom GPS does the same and beeps when I'm over the limit by a certain percentage. I find it very useful. Surely this would be sufficient if this technology was fitted to every new car. It would have the advantage of keeping the speed camera revenue intact from those determined to go over the limit.

My Tom Tom GPS does the same and beeps when I'm over the limit by a certain percentage. I find it very useful. Surely this would be sufficient if this technology was fitted to every new car. It would have the advantage of keeping the speed camera revenue intact from those determined to go over the limit.

Yep, that would have stopped me getting my one and only speeding fine a few years back....Travelling into Hartlepool, road constantly changing speed limits despite the conditions not changing.....Doing 37 in a 30 zone (having just left a 40 zone).....My car now would have told me that I was at the wrong speed (assuming I had up to date software which reminds me that the Northern Spire is still not on my sat nav)

“Could be to all vehicles in the eu”

Pointless as we’re not.

Also says that UK is likely to adopt it no matter what happens with Brexit.

Yep, that would have stopped me getting my one and only speeding fine a few years back....Travelling into Hartlepool, road constantly changing speed limits despite the conditions not changing.....Doing 37 in a 30 zone (having just left a 40 zone).....My car now would have told me that I was at the wrong speed (assuming I had up to date software which reminds me that the Northern Spire is still not on my sat nav)

The current lack of speed with map updates is an issue, I admit, but that could be easily addressed if it was a legal requirement and not just Tom Tom being lazy arsed greedy bastards!

It already happens. Your ECU tells you / the manufacturer / police they need to know.

I don't think an ECU will show the police if you were speeding, breaking suddenly etc. The airbag module will show those details if you crash and the airbags are deployed but an ECU won't just record those details for the sake of it.

Add the GPS requirement into this and they'd be able to tell where everyone (ok, drivers of the vehicles) are at any point in time. It's just another creeping move towards mass surveillance.

Last edited:

No way will it happen. It’s a pointless discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back