Speed limiters in all new cars

This is an EU suggestion but headlines today suggest the UK govt will introduce this regardless of whether or not we leave.

Here’s an RAC article on it from last month.

Will doubtless save lives. Not sure it’s a good idea though.

Speed limiters could be mandatory in just 3 years | RAC Drive
I am not one for exceeding the speed limit but IMHO this is dangerous. It will not save lives, it could cost lives. There are situations where a burst of speed can get you out of trouble.

I am not one for exceeding the speed limit but IMHO this is dangerous. It will not save lives, it could cost lives. There are situations where a burst of speed can get you out of trouble.
The article says that you’ll be able to override it in emergencies. However, I don’t even think you’d need a limiter. A seatbelt style ping would be so annoying you’d drop your speed just to shut it up.

I’ve never understood why we can’t have smart limiters these days.

You’re going through roadworks with a 50mph limit, or going past a school where it’s 20mph, the technology surely exists to automatically limit speed

I get the argument about a burst of speed getting you out of trouble, but motorway limits should be 80 anyway

You’re going through roadworks with a 50mph limit, or going past a school where it’s 20mph, the technology surely exists to automatically limit speed

I get the argument about a burst of speed getting you out of trouble, but motorway limits should be 80 anyway
Seems reasonable to me. Especially in roadworks or school areas.

Seems reasonable to me. Especially in roadworks or school areas.

Problem is for roadworks (and a lesser extent, schools) the technology has to be very good and totally standardised.

If it reads a temporary speed limit sign wrong you’ll be stuck doing 30 in a 50, which then causes its own problems.

I think there’s certainly a strong argument for a top limit but a limiter that reads the speed signs will be interesting.

Someone could put a 20mph sign up on a country road for a laugh and you’d be stuck doing it, or facing an alarm going off for ages

Problem is for roadworks (and a lesser extent, schools) the technology has to be very good and totally standardised.

If it reads a temporary speed limit sign wrong you’ll be stuck doing 30 in a 50, which then causes its own problems.

I think there’s certainly a strong argument for a top limit but a limiter that reads the speed signs will be interesting.

Someone could put a 20mph sign up on a country road for a laugh and you’d be stuck doing it, or facing an alarm going off for ages
I’m sure the technology exists. It can be done with electronic communication, not some twat with a marker pen :lol:

Waze and other such technologies already track speed limits on roads and you can set alarms to sound if you exceed them. i think it relies on feedback from editors/users for roadworks and other instances where the usual speed is reduced and not reliant on reading sign iirc.

This is an EU suggestion but headlines today suggest the UK govt will introduce this regardless of whether or not we leave.

Here’s an RAC article on it from last month.

Will doubtless save lives. Not sure it’s a good idea though.

Speed limiters could be mandatory in just 3 years | RAC Drive
don`t like them at all. Our works vans have them and we are limited to 62. Ok in theory but it seems to be done on revs rather than speed so once you hit 2 and a half thousand it goes flat as fuck. Feels dangerous when your pulling away into traffic or up a hill and its never hit 60 yet usually around 58 it dies....mind it is a shitroen so that could just be natural rather than a limiter:lol:

don't limit speeds but just hook the system up to the dvla or whatever it's called now and issue immediate fines. no more speed cameras or speed traps on the roads, your own car will fine you on behalf of the local constabulary, you could even see the fines racking up on your in car ent. system. it will be a hoot.

This won't happen imo as it would kill the new car market. Everyone would buy older cars. Imagine being stuck at 30 mph or 70 mph how would you overtake slower vehicles?
You mean cars doing 70 ? You don't
Speed worsens a crash situation but being dumb is the main cause of accidents
Just more people alive to over eat and worry about Muslims etc
Could do with a Any speed exception on white vans for a few years just to have a clear out

Since I got the new motor with head up display and live speed limits displayed everywhere on the car I find myself rigidly sticking to limits tbh. Less so motorways but around town and through roadworks etc I'm pretty much bang on all the time.

Back