Speed limiters in all new cars

Posted this one Politics thread, probably more applicable to this thread though..

Two cars, travelling at 30 and 31 mph respectively, both forced to brake - the car doing 31mph would still be travelling at 8mph at the point at which the 30mph stops. 1mph difference..

Guess who has just been on a speed awareness course, (caught speeding on the A690 on the way to the match of all the fecking things!)

Definitely helped reset ones mentality about excessive speed.

I don't think an ECU will show the police if you were speeding, breaking suddenly etc. The airbag module will show those details if you crash and the airbags are deployed but an ECU won't just record those details for the sake of it.

Add the GPS requirement into this and they'd be able to tell where everyone (ok, drivers of the vehicles) are at any point in time. It's just another creeping move towards mass surveillance.
You’re right, the airbag module will show speed and rate of deceleration at impact.

You get driving statistics on most modern car which will show average speed etc.

If you’re a company car driver the chances are a fleet management system will track your speed on any given road and they can pull you up on this at any time.

But you’re also correct, the ECU doesn’t just record your complete driving history for the sake of it. It can but doesn’t.

You’re right, the airbag module will show speed and rate of deceleration at impact.

You get driving statistics on most modern car which will show average speed etc.

If you’re a company car driver the chances are a fleet management system will track your speed on any given road and they can pull you up on this at any time.

But you’re also correct, the ECU doesn’t just record your complete driving history for the sake of it. It can but doesn’t.

Gulp.

Mine don’t monitor me but my mate worked for a company where they did and you’d get fined for poor driving (breaking speed limits, poor fuel economy) and rewarded if you drove well.

Haven't had anyone say anything for the last two years so I'm going to choose to assume I'm not being monitored and / or drive like an old biddy.

I expect a huge push back from the motoring industry against this. Especially the big german players. Pretty much gonna kill the big engine and sports car market.
Wouldnt change acceleration, just limit max speed which people are meant to do anyway from a legal standpoint

I’m not against the idea as such although it isn’t a massive stretch to see it used as a cash cow for govt regarding fines and points

Seen an idiot on a motorbike yesterday, turning right into a junction, where a van was waiting to pull out, the sod turned right, between the vans passenger door and the pavement, the van driver just shook his head in disbelief.

I see the same stupid things on a daily basis. You take your life in your hands driving in an evening, they must have some debt in balloon payments looking at the cars some of them drive.

The only thing it has that it tells people how fast they are going. Think some twats see it as a f***ing challenge.

Speak to your local NPT. Highways at the council also. Ask them to pop out and do a speed trap. They will look at average speeders. Cant remember the % it has to hit before its classed as a speed issue and they take some form of action. Signage or road markings may be a start

Haven't read the article, Will cop cars be limited to 71, what about motorbikes?

Police cars wont be limited or will have to have this taken off their cars. Will add more work to kitting it out as they are all currently factory issue other than lights, black box and livery

Last edited:
I’m in total agreement, far too many people are breaking the law and putting everyone elese at risk, driving is at wreckless standards and there are not enough police to stop it.
Yet our roads are the safest they’ve ever been.
Limiters on cars isn’t the answer IMO, education is along with harsher punishments. People driving like tits in built up areas should get more than 3 points.
At least if they do put limiters on cars they’ll be able to increase the motorway speed limit.

Back