Speed limiters in all new cars

As an ex plod ,Most collisions are down to driver error.

personally I think you should be made to do advanced driver lessons,

I became a much better driver after completing an advanced driver course in the police ,
All about looking further ahead in the road and reacting to potential problems before they happen ,
Too many people just follow the bumper in front and do what they do

spot on mate, I'm the same... turned into a MUCH better driver becasue of them courses. it makes you way more sensitive to what's ahead, also more aware of impending dangers. plus because of it, I know how to use my indicators...... :D (and I drive a BM)

I became a much better driver after completing an advanced driver course in the police ,
All about looking further ahead in the road and reacting to potential problems before they happen ,
I’m sick to death of people blaming roads for accidents. The a19 gets some hammer yet every time i’m on it I see people driving so far up someone’s arse it looks like they’re getting towed. The standard of driving these days is f***ing shocking. I’d love to see mandatory braking distance enforcers introduced that kick in over, I dunno say 30 or 40mph as well as speed limiters. Our golf had that intelligent cruise control thing that automatically kept its distance from the car in front so the technology exists.

I’m sick to death of people blaming roads for accidents. The a19 gets some hammer yet every time i’m on it I see people driving so far up someone’s arse it looks like they’re getting towed. The standard of driving these days is f***ing shocking. I’d love to see mandatory braking distance enforcers introduced that kick in over, I dunno say 30 or 40mph as well as speed limiters. Our golf had that intelligent cruise control thing that automatically kept its distance from the car in front so the technology exists.

Good rant and I entirely agree. I'm willing to bet 95% of A19 fuckwittery/carnage/death is caused by arsehole driving up each others chuff.

This simply wouldn't work as you've got to know that people out there don't give a fuck about most others on the road about themselves in their own little self important world when inside the bubble of their car.

If I was able to, I'd go with removing all warning for speeds cameras so drivers can be caught anywhere at any time. It's beyond baffling why the law is we have to warn people to drive to speed but only within a certain few 100 yards? What is most baffling is the twats who moan about them but would they be moaning if someone knocked ower their bairn in the same spot they'd been speeding or just after the speed camera?

I'd also have undercover cop cars just driving about in well known areas for speeders/tailgaters/dangerous and twat drivers and catch them on camera. Even these cop cars could record the numerous parking violations, especially around school pick up time. This would be more than self financing as everyone on here who is a driver spots numerous offences when driving.

Just these two changes would soon have a sharp affect on the attitudes of people knowing they could be caught out as there would be no warning, just a brown envelope a few weeks down the line. At the moment, how many actually do get caught and punished for speeding, driving like a twat, tailgating, roadrage, parking like a twat etc. It's probably less than 0.1% given what you see on the roads everytime you go out in the car. An advanced driving course wouldn't solve that, nor would everyone taking a speed awareness course.

Finances permitting, I'd also have cameras on places like the A19 Wear crossing that simply recorded traffic and it could be reviewed or even viewed live and fines etc hoyed out. The rather lame excuse of the A19 isn't built for traffic is bullshit. When it's busy people should slow down but they don't, they just sit closer to the car infront trying to do 70mph (or faster) and 'defend' their space due to arseholes who'll pull into a 1.5 car length gap. The sooner they bring in the 50mph limit (average speed) on the A19 in the section from Doxy to Testos (for peak times only) the better as people simply drive selfishly and dangerously. Over the 8 mile distance between Doxy and Testo's it would take 7 minutes at 70mph and 10 mins at 50mph. Now given everyone trying to do 70mph means bunching up and braking then average speed is probably less and there's more chance of an accident and delays. This is probably why places with average speed cameras have better flow of traffic as most shift along at 50mph and lane discipline is noticeably better.

Also, so what if the police, insurance companies know where, what, when and how fast you drive. What do people have to hide apart from driving like a twat? I'd gladly sacrifice my driving habits if it meants that twat drivers got caught out for their piss poor driving mentality and abuse of traffic laws and made the roads a more pleasant place to drive. You see this when a cop car/van in on the roads as all of a sudden the driving behaviour changes. At the moment, driving on the roads is like having a class full of kids without the teacher but when a speed camera/cop vehicle appears it's as if the teacher is back in the room!

The same goes for CCTV as people crying about privacy shite as again. I'd have it everywhere financially possible so that cases of people getting murdered, going missing or crimes being commited can then be better assisted. Would I really give a fuck about some camera operator seeing me scratch my knackers (or even knocking one out cos I'm a handsome bastard) if that same camera then helped catch someone later that same day? Again I'll point out, what if your kid went missing but then thanks to CCTV the cops could be straight on the trail and then potentially get the kid within hours? Now imagine what that would be like for other parents, would you still not sacrifice your privacy in the hope it may help those parents (any many more people for other crime related reasons) and still bitch on about privacy?

There's no doubt that speeders and twat drivers won't bother reading this long post, probably because they don't have the time as they're in a rush in their own self important world driving at 90mph while on SMB :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in total agreement, far too many people are breaking the law and putting everyone elese at risk, driving is at wreckless standards and there are not enough police to stop it.
Perhaps there would be enough police if they didn't spend most of their time hidden on bends or behind bushes etc. trying to catch people speeding on roads which have never seen an accident occur in years

I am not one for exceeding the speed limit but IMHO this is dangerous. It will not save lives, it could cost lives. There are situations where a burst of speed can get you out of trouble.
I genuinely can’t think of a single situation a sudden burst of speed would get me out of trouble. To be fair I drive a Citroen berlingo van so I don’t really have that luxury anyway. Surely increasing your speed in any situation would make matters worse if you ended up losing control?

Just put it on trucks! They never stick to 50 in the roadworks and it is bloody dangerous. Also - set it up so the drivers of said trucks get zapped if they fanny about reaching for fags and food or phones etc. so they don't swerve all over the place in narrow lanes :evil:

I genuinely can’t think of a single situation a sudden burst of speed would get me out of trouble. To be fair I drive a Citroen berlingo van so I don’t really have that luxury anyway. Surely increasing your speed in any situation would make matters worse if you ended up losing control?

I find it helps me get around people in Berlingo Vans who hog the middle lane and won't move over and cause chaos.

This simply wouldn't work as you've got to know that people out there don't give a fuck about most others on the road about themselves in their own little self important world when inside the bubble of their car.

If I was able to, I'd go with removing all warning for speeds cameras so drivers can be caught anywhere at any time. It's beyond baffling why the law is we have to warn people to drive to speed but only within a certain few 100 yards? What is most baffling is the twats who moan about them but would they be moaning if someone knocked ower their bairn in the same spot they'd been speeding or just after the speed camera?

I'd also have undercover cop cars just driving about in well known areas for speeders/tailgaters/dangerous and twat drivers and catch them on camera. Even these cop cars could record the numerous parking violations, especially around school pick up time. This would be more than self financing as everyone on here who is a driver spots numerous offences when driving.

Just these two changes would soon have a sharp affect on the attitudes of people knowing they could be caught out as there would be no warning, just a brown envelope a few weeks down the line. At the moment, how many actually do get caught and punished for speeding, driving like a twat, tailgating, roadrage, parking like a twat etc. It's probably less than 0.1% given what you see on the roads everytime you go out in the car. An advanced driving course wouldn't solve that, nor would everyone taking a speed awareness course.

Finances permitting, I'd also have cameras on places like the A19 Wear crossing that simply recorded traffic and it could be reviewed or even viewed live and fines etc hoyed out. The rather lame excuse of the A19 isn't built for traffic is bullshit. When it's busy people should slow down but they don't, they just sit closer to the car infront trying to do 70mph (or faster) and 'defend' their space due to arseholes who'll pull into a 1.5 car length gap. The sooner they bring in the 50mph limit (average speed) on the A19 in the section from Doxy to Testos (for peak times only) the better as people simply drive selfishly and dangerously. Over the 8 mile distance between Doxy and Testo's it would take 7 minutes at 70mph and 10 mins at 50mph. Now given everyone trying to do 70mph means bunching up and braking then average speed is probably less and there's more chance of an accident and delays. This is probably why places with average speed cameras have better flow of traffic as most shift along at 50mph and lane discipline is noticeably better.

Also, so what if the police, insurance companies know where, what, when and how fast you drive. What do people have to hide apart from driving like a twat? I'd gladly sacrifice my driving habits if it meants that twat drivers got caught out for their piss poor driving mentality and abuse of traffic laws and made the roads a more pleasant place to drive. You see this when a cop car/van in on the roads as all of a sudden the driving behaviour changes. At the moment, driving on the roads is like having a class full of kids without the teacher but when a speed camera/cop vehicle appears it's as if the teacher is back in the room!

The same goes for CCTV as people crying about privacy shite as again. I'd have it everywhere financially possible so that cases of people getting murdered, going missing or crimes being commited can then be better assisted. Would I really give a fuck about some camera operator seeing me scratch my knackers (or even knocking one out cos I'm a handsome bastard) if that same camera then helped catch someone later that same day? Again I'll point out, what if your kid went missing but then thanks to CCTV the cops could be straight on the trail and then potentially get the kid within hours? Now imagine what that would be like for other parents, would you still not sacrifice your privacy in the hope it may help those parents (any many more people for other crime related reasons) and still bitch on about privacy?

There's no doubt that speeders and twat drivers won't bother reading this long post, probably because they don't have the time as they're in a rush in their own self important world driving at 90mph while on SMB :lol:

Kim Jong-un likes this :eek::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

What car do you drive?

Same here. Some elements and the physics of roadcraft should be a part of the theory test and the practical

Back