Speed limiters in all new cars

I don’t think they’ll be implemented properly, speed cameras make too much money from fines for them to limit all cars to the speed limit.

My guess would be that the limiting will be introduced, but to so much over the speed limit. That would solve the “burst of speed to get you out of trouble” argument and it would mean there’s still an income from speeding.

Speak to your local NPT. Highways at the council also. Ask them to pop out and do a speed trap. They will look at average speeders. Cant remember the % it has to hit before its classed as a speed issue and they take some form of action. Signage or road markings may be a start

Police cars wont be limited or will have to have this taken off their cars. Will add more work to kitting it out as they are all currently factory issue other than lights, black box and livery

85th percentile iirc

My Tom Tom GPS does the same and beeps when I'm over the limit by a certain percentage. I find it very useful. Surely this would be sufficient if this technology was fitted to every new car. It would have the advantage of keeping the speed camera revenue intact from those determined to go over the limit.

I use Waze which does this, it’s handy, but this new initiative is going to mean some old **** doing 50 in a 60 is going to hold everyone up.

Last edited:
Reading this - UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters - it says that the limiter can be overridden.
However, the new system as it's currently envisaged will not force drivers to slow down. It is there to encourage them to do so, and to make them aware of what the limit is, but it can be overridden. Much like the cruise control in many current cars will hold a particular speed, or prevent you exceeding it, until you stamp on the accelerator.

It might stop some people getting caught out when they think the limit is higher than it is, and it might stop people drifting over the limit, but there's nothing there to stop anyone driving 50 in a 30. People who speed know they shouldn't do it, yet do it anyway. They'll know they shouldn't override the limiter, but they'll do it anyway.

Yet our roads are the safest they’ve ever been.
Limiters on cars isn’t the answer IMO, education is along with harsher punishments. People driving like tits in built up areas should get more than 3 points.
At least if they do put limiters on cars they’ll be able to increase the motorway speed limit.
We had education before the brexit vote, too far beyond their intelligence. It isn’t down to one thing though, selfish, thoughtless, who shouldn’t be on the roads, many with high perfirmance cars.

As if your car could get to 85.
I tend to drive little cars which are great for zipping around the city but not so good for the speed racing. Managed to get my VW Up to 110mph before I bottled it, mind. 2am on the way back from Download, nothing around me, but I've had my eyes opened to the dangers so wouldn't so that again. Bloody stupid, really.

Depends who holds and can access the data. Can imagine insurance companies will try to find a way to abuse the data.

Who's going to pay for this?
As currently to get inbuilt sat nav in a car as an extra, you're looking at about £500. So the price of cars will probably increase by a minimum of £500. As the EU/government are to insist its built as standard, will they be subsidising it or are they just going to let the car industry take the hit for loss of sales?

I tend to drive little cars which are great for zipping around the city but not so good for the speed racing. Managed to get my VW Up to 110mph before I bottled it, mind. 2am on the way back from Download, nothing around me, but I've had my eyes opened to the dangers so wouldn't so that again. Bloody stupid, really.
Tried to get our lass's i10 into treble figures but it wouldn't have it. Knew she should've got an Up!

I would be a bit heavy footed but I think there was a period with a few bad crashes on the news and I read a story about some lass getting banned for doing 105 on the A19. Made me think it's not worth it for the sake of it.

Who's going to pay for this?
As currently to get inbuilt sat nav in a car as an extra, you're looking at about £500. So the price of cars will probably increase by a minimum of £500. As the EU/government are to insist its built as standard, will they be subsidising it or are they just going to let the car industry take the hit for loss of sales?
Who pays for airbags and seatbelts? Surely it would be a safety feature rather than an extra.

Last edited:
As an ex plod ,Most collisions are down to driver error.

personally I think you should be made to do advanced driver lessons,

I became a much better driver after completing an advanced driver course in the police ,
All about looking further ahead in the road and reacting to potential problems before they happen ,
Too many people just follow the bumper in front and do what they do

The last fatality I had in an rtc was basically cut in half. There was a few strings keeping the bottom half together and his foot came off in my hand.

It's not a good way to go....

The last fatality I had in an rtc was basically cut in half. There was a few strings keeping the bottom half together and his foot came off in my hand.

awful that mate !
Seen some horrendous shit in my time and all of it was due to shit driving!

my eyes have been opened since I left the polis and became hgv driver,

Not kidding here but a foreign waggon driver drov all the way over here ( Nissan ish )
Said he couldn’t reverseve so I had to do it !!

They never publish these details. Should be part of road safety training in schooos etc.

I got the wake up call (certainly around mobile phone usage) when my friends daughter, step mam and step sister we’re all decapitated as the result of a lorry driver on his phone.

Back