Spanish ex-pats

The irony is, many of the expats who, since 2016, have confidently proclaimed 'I voted Leave', didn't vote at all. Their beloved home country didn't give them the right to vote in that referendum.

I discovered it was a sore spot whenever I had an argument with one of the 'I-voted-Leave' Brigade. How did you vote? Where did you vote? Only a hundred thousand of the five million UK expats in 2016 were on the electoral roll. The vast majority didn't qualify to take part even by proxy or post. But they still loved to tell you how they 'voted'.

And I bet they said, "I voted leave" with their arms folded?

It's the cocky belligerence that does my nut in, often I'm sure it's just attention-seeking or trying to look 'hard' in some way.

As with many other aspects of life, British culture is divided here in Spain.
When I say "divided", I mean polarised.

I work PT in an office that deals with residencia application, pensions, wills etc for Brits in the Alicante province.

Although we've had dozens of Brits walking in from December onwards asking for residencia that would never qualify, there are thousands more that are legitimately living here.

Despite what is reported in the media, the VAST majority of Brits here are EU supporters, paying taxes, doing the right thing and living very much "above the radar".

As usual, it's the mouthy ones that make the headlines, especially if some hack can introduce some irony or shoe-horn their editor's agenda into an article.

Most of our friends when we lived there were pro-EU, but in our experience it wasn't just the mouthy ones hanging out at the British pubs that were strongly Brexit. Our landlord and his wife, expats in their 80s who'd lived there for 40 years above the radar, were vehemently anti-EU. They'd often rant about all the immigrants 'coming over here', and you'd seriously wonder if they realised that they'd left the UK in the Seventies.
And I bet they said, "I voted leave" with their arms folded?

Exactly, like it was a badge of honour.

As with many other aspects of life, British culture is divided here in Spain.
When I say "divided", I mean polarised.

I work PT in an office that deals with residencia application, pensions, wills etc for Brits in the Alicante province.

Although we've had dozens of Brits walking in from December onwards asking for residencia that would never qualify, there are thousands more that are legitimately living here.

Despite what is reported in the media, the VAST majority of Brits here are EU supporters, paying taxes, doing the right thing and living very much "above the radar".

As usual, it's the mouthy ones that make the headlines, especially if some hack can introduce some irony or shoe-horn their editor's agenda into an article.
I still haven't been able to get an appointment to change my green card to the tie. In fact none of us at work have been able to.

I still haven't been able to get an appointment to change my green card to the tie. In fact none of us at work have been able to.

Yeah, that's a bit of a 'mare. I'm aware that Alicante Foreigners Office announce the availability on very sporadic occasions.
I'll PM you the number for the girl that deals with it here if you like?

The irony is, many of the expats who, since 2016, have confidently proclaimed 'I voted Leave', didn't vote at all. Their beloved home country didn't give them the right to vote in that referendum.

I discovered it was a sore spot whenever I had an argument with one of the 'I-voted-Leave' Brigade. How did you vote? Where did you vote? Only a hundred thousand of the five million UK expats in 2016 were on the electoral roll. The vast majority didn't qualify to take part even by proxy or post. But they still loved to tell you how they 'voted'.
Ha! Great stat!

A mate of mine sells stuff on the internet, with probably a third going to the EU. He now hardly sells any to the EU, it costs him more and the paperwork for each item (beauty products) is horrendous.

He voted leave and knew he would have more paprework, but thought it would be one lot and that’s it, not lots of ongoing forms for every sale. We don’t talk about brexit anymore.

There was some response to a bloke from a government minister the other day who was facing this problem with "sell more stuff to the USA then" (without realising selling £30 items to the USA is equally as difficult).

It shows how dumb these ministers are and are in these positions not because of any discernable talent but because they are a parrot for Brexit.

Shaun Cromber you absolute f***ing moron. :lol:

My Dad split his time between the UK and Tenerife and, as he’s not a complete moron, voted to remain. He’s now got Spanish residency and is probably going to sell up here and move there full time because of the brexit deal.
Residency or a visa ll you need to stay as long as you like . Tens of thousands don't bother with either and they get away with it as long as they don't claim benefits .
still didn't have an NIE
Ours was in early 2018, and yes, most of the questions couldn't be answered. But the one certainty was that it would no longer be viable to live under the radar. We knew people who'd been there 30 years and still didn't have an NIE number. So many basic aspects of daily life require one - including receiving a signed-for parcel from Amazon.
You need one if you want to take a piss .

Last edited:

its a tragedy of sorts... many voted to destroy their own lives through a combination of ignorance, trickery and exceptionalism. i wouldn't laugh at these people because we are all in the same sinking boat

its a tragedy of sorts... many voted to destroy their own lives through a combination of ignorance, trickery and exceptionalism. i wouldn't laugh at these people because we are all in the same sinking boat
Everybody loves a bit of schadenfreude . For what it's worth I think this whole story is made up bollox as it fits nicely with the views of both people who read the not independent clap trap . Next week it will be some leaver whose multi million pound whelk empire has collapsed .

One man doesn’t fill in one piece of paper :lol:
I know a good few people, old friends and relatives, who have moved to places like Portugal and Spain. They either didn't vote in the referendum or voted to remain. Chatting to them on WhatsApp groups none of them will have to come back home. They love this country but hate the weather and are staying where they are. The BBC finds somebody, or creates somebody, that hasn't done what's necessary and it is used to slag off and laugh at all ex pat's. Jealousy I think covers it.
Where's Mr Cromber? Have the UK media failed to locate him and his tearful wife? Forced expulsions from Spain and he's nowhere to be found? No doubt he'll surface soon looking to cop a few bob to facilitate his relocation.
:lol:

I know a good few people, old friends and relatives, who have moved to places like Portugal and Spain. They either didn't vote in the referendum or voted to remain. Chatting to them on WhatsApp groups none of them will have to come back home. They love this country but hate the weather and are staying where they are. The BBC finds somebody, or creates somebody, that hasn't done what's necessary and it is used to slag off and laugh at all ex pat's. Jealousy I think covers it.

Talking of agendas, there's not a single BBC link on this thread.

Tens of thousands don't bother with either and they get away with it as long as they don't claim benefits .

It's amazing how tolerant Brits are of illegal immigrants when it is us who are immigrating illegallly....

This just shows the craziness and gullibility of Brexiters

I pointed out 5 years ago that access to health care and health insurance would be a problem for Brits living in the EU if we left the EU. I was told under no circumstances that this wasn't true, there would be no impact and everything would be fine. Project fear.

This was based on DH modelling that I did which showed that HMG had no idea how many Brits living abroad were dependent on UKs EU membership for access to healthcare

Now it turns out that all of this is true. Brits will be forced back to the UK because they don't earn enough, and can't afford private healthcare.

And yet the Brexiters are still insisting that it will all be fine.

It won't.

Last edited:
Talking of agendas, there's not a single BBC link on this thread.
Why would getting the source wrong be an agenda. I thought the BBC had been mentioned on the thread. I'll take your word for it that it hasn't. It doesn't change a thing I said. If you want to belittle and laugh at people based on a dubious source, fill your boots. I choose not to.
It's amazing how tolerant Brits are of illegal immigrants when it is us who are immigrating illegallly....

This just shows the craziness and gullibility of Brexiters

I pointed out 5 years ago that access to health care and health insurance would be a problem for Brits living in the EU if we left the EU. I was told under no circumstances that this wasn't true, there would be no impact and everything would be fine. Project fear.

This was based on DH modelling that I did which showed that HMG had no idea how many Brits living abroad were dependent on UKs EU membership for access to healthcare

Now it turns out that all of this is true. Brits will be forced back to the UK because they don't earn enough, and can't afford private healthcare.

And yet the Brexiters are still insisting that it will all be fine.

It won't.
If only every ex pat had read your post five years ago. Poor old Shaun wouldn't be in the shit now. Nothing like your own sense of self importance there mate.

Last edited:
Why would getting the source wrong be an agenda. I thought the BBC had been mentioned on the thread. I'll take your word for it that it hasn't. It doesn't change a thing I said. If you want to belittle and laugh at people based on a dubious source, fill your boots. I choose not to.
I have already stated that I don't believe this person exists as I believe it to be a dubious source. I do however believe the similar one in The Times and I would believe the BBC if they ever reported on it. I wouldn't assume they had 'created' them as you claimed.
I haven't belittled or laughed at anyone on this thread, you seem to be making things up based on your own preconceived opinions. A dangerous game to play, I'm sure you would agree.

If only every ex pat had read your post five years ago. Poor old Shaun wouldn't be in the shit now. Nothing like your own sense of self importance there mate.
Poor old Shaun eh?

I don’t feel sorry for him.

Back