Spanish ex-pats

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.

Boris Johnson, Daily Telegraph, 2016
His lips were moving.

Now is the time to buy another place over there.
Too early.
It will take a long time for people to come to terms with the extent of the deceit.

Right now lots of Brexiters have been immune from the negative consequences of their own decision. They will only change their mind of those consequences rebound on themselves

Will probably take a massive house price crash or black wednesday fall in the pound
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them they’ve been fooled.

Last edited:
Where's Mr Cromber? Have the UK media failed to locate him and his tearful wife? Forced expulsions from Spain and he's nowhere to be found? No doubt he'll surface soon looking to cop a few bob to facilitate his relocation.
I'm fairly confident he doesn't exist as the source for this story is questionable, but there was a similar story in The Times yesterday with Brexit voting Brits fearing they had to leave. I suspect they were genuine.

I can’t believe these people can be that monumentally thick.

And we’ve got actual footage of Gove and Johnson saying this wouldn’t impact British immigrants (fuck off with your ex pat shite). But will they be held to account for this? Will they bollocks.

We left in 2018 because we knew the crunch was coming. Had countless arguments with leave supporters there, with their 'they need us more than we need them' mantra. We urged everyone we knew there to get residency, but only a few did. Reality has now dawned for the rest.

There are some horror stories. Cancer patients relying on charitable help in Spain who've got notice to leave and won't automatically qualify for NHS healthcare when they come back to UK. People who've invested everything they own over there, and stand to lose thousands in taxes and other duty as they attempt to sell up and leave.

A couple we know thought we were being ridiculously over-cautious when we left. Now we're using our contacts in Turkey to try to set them up with something over there. They haven't had the knock on the door yet, but they'll be illegal immigrants in Spain at the end of the month.
Bloody hell! I remember being in Spain around the time of the referendum and having one or to interesting chats about brexit with some ex pats, majority very much in favour of leaving.

Turkeys voting for Christmas I remember thinking.
It amazes me that people like that exist. What did they think they were gaining?
A magic blue passport that would unleash the power of the British empire on any foreigners.

It’s quite funny that they’ll all be coming back to Britain cos a lot of them were convinced that Britain was ‘full’ :D
Too early.

It’s easier to fool people than to convince them they’ve been fooled.
This, the drop, when it comes, will be mega

Last edited:
As with many other aspects of life, British culture is divided here in Spain.
When I say "divided", I mean polarised.

I work PT in an office that deals with residencia application, pensions, wills etc for Brits in the Alicante province.

Although we've had dozens of Brits walking in from December onwards asking for residencia that would never qualify, there are thousands more that are legitimately living here.

Despite what is reported in the media, the VAST majority of Brits here are EU supporters, paying taxes, doing the right thing and living very much "above the radar".

As usual, it's the mouthy ones that make the headlines, especially if some hack can introduce some irony or shoe-horn their editor's agenda into an article.

Bloody hell! I remember being in Spain around the time of the referendum and having one or to interesting chats about brexit with some ex pats, majority very much in favour of leaving.

Turkeys voting for Christmas I remember thinking.

The irony is, many of the expats who, since 2016, have confidently proclaimed 'I voted Leave', didn't vote at all. Their beloved home country didn't give them the right to vote in that referendum.

I discovered it was a sore spot whenever I had an argument with one of the 'I-voted-Leave' Brigade. How did you vote? Where did you vote? Only a hundred thousand of the five million UK expats in 2016 were on the electoral roll. The vast majority didn't qualify to take part even by proxy or post. But they still loved to tell you how they 'voted'.

The irony is, many of the expats who, since 2016, have confidently proclaimed 'I voted Leave', didn't vote at all. Their beloved home country didn't give them the right to vote in that referendum.

I discovered it was a sore spot whenever I had an argument with one of the 'I-voted-Leave' Brigade. How did you vote? Where did you vote? Only a hundred thousand of the five million UK expats in 2016 were on the electoral roll. The vast majority didn't qualify to take part even by proxy or post. But they still loved to tell you how they 'voted'.
I applied to vote by post. My form arrived the day after the vote.

Back