Spanish ex-pats

None have quite so many as the UK but yes the differences are very noticeable.

I know a lad who owns a bar in Palma Nova - speaks fluent Spanish but only ever used it in Mallorca - says he went to Tenerife and really struggled to understand the locals

I know a lad who owns a bar in Palma Nova - speaks fluent Spanish but only ever used it in Mallorca - says he went to Tenerife and really struggled to understand the locals
I was with a Paraguayan lass for a few years as long time posters on here will remember. So I quite like the Canaries accent as I find it similar.
If you want to get it done hassle free then I'd suggest an asessor who will probably be able to pull some strings faster than you can.
They are not touching TIE at the moment due to the almost impossible mission of getting an appointment. I will do eventually though when it all settled down.
Where we are in the Mojacar area they deffo say "grassy arse" , maybe they'er just taking the piss . :)
Murcianos. They have a very strong accent.

Last edited:
Well, you are expected to keep your relevant documents updated. If you don't, you encounter problems. If your TIE says one address but your Padrón another, it's understandable you can't exchange it because the addresses don't match.

Why didn't you change it when you moved?

It is a pain in the arse but I learnt pretty much right from the start of my time here that it's extremely important to have all of your documents etc up to date to avoid hassle.
How do you change it at the start of a pandemic when everything is closed and you're confined to the space of your flat and balcony (if you're lucky enough yo have one) and when things do open back up, any updates are supposed to be done as a TIE?

Additionally I did change the padron and attempted to update all the applicable areas within the AEAT app - which I found out recently, almost a year later was never accepted without notification. Bear in mind that the system only allows you to send an update if your padron is upto date and the system physically links to your padron to check.

Also, do tell me how now, after waiting more than 3 months for my padron to be updated to my new place (and seemingly still not done) how I am supposed to do anything. If you live here, you know how bad the system can be. Perhaps engage your brain before your meaningless retorts.

Although if you have the answers to the above, I'm all ears.
I think you can only judge the difficulty when you can properly speak the language mind.
Lol. It would be interesting to see him trying to understand a conversation in Andaluz or Valencian.

But he's mastered duolingo in the 3 months he's been learning. :lol:
He has form on this mind. No doubt he will be reporting you.
I didn't read half of the thread and the little bell is on ignore anyway but just read back to what you are referring to. All he does on this board is whine about people being targeted. He seems to have an issue particularly with those of us who live abroad too. Proper fruit loop.

Last edited:
I was with a Paraguayan lass for a few years as long time posters on here will remember. So I quite like the Canaries accent as I find it similar.

They are not touching TIE at the moment due to the almost impossible mission of getting an appointment. I will do eventually though when it all settled down.

Murcianos. They have a very strong accent.
I may be lucky in that respect, I live in a very tiny village with very easy access to the Ayuntamiento and the Extranjero policia is in the local town where the Maria I mentioned earlier knows them all. Hopefully she'll be able to sort out my grey area. I was waiting until the mad rush at the end of last year/beginning of this year was over, they actually closed the local office dealing with it for a month because the bloke dealing with residencia had not had a day off for over a year !. It seems to be pretty much back to normal around here now and appointments are easy to get, hopefully I'll not have to go into Granada (200km roundtrip). In my experience there's normally a way around Spanish bureaucracy...eventually.

My lad learned his Spanish at school here in Andalucia and speaks proper Andalus. A few years ago he was working in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam when a group of Peruvian lasses came in and he started speaking to them in Spanish. They cracked up at his accent and kept asking him to repeat his sentences then absolutely cracking up with laughter. They said his accent was very funny.

How do you change it at the start of a pandemic when everything is closed and you're confined to the space of your flat and balcony (if you're lucky enough yo have one) and when things do open back up, any updates are supposed to be done as a TIE?

Additionally I did change the padron and attempted to update all the applicable areas within the AEAT app - which I found out recently, almost a year later was never accepted without notification. Bear in mind that the system only allows you to send an update if your padron is upto date and the system physically links to your padron to check.

Also, do tell me how now, after waiting more than 3 months for my padron to be updated to my new place (and seemingly still not done) how I am supposed to do anything. If you live here, you know how bad the system can be. Perhaps engage your brain before your meaningless retorts.

Lol. It would be interesting to see him trying to understand a conversation in Andaluz or Valencian.

I didn't read half of the thread and the little bell is on ignore anyway but just read back to what you are referring to. All he does on this board is whine about people being targeted. He seems to have an issue particularly with those of us who live abroad too. Proper fruit loop.

Did you move house during the pandemic or before? Could/Should you have changed your address before the pandemic?

He has form on this mind. No doubt he will be reporting you.
He can report all he wants. I reckon most of the mods know who comes on here to troll and who comes on here to have reasonable discussions.
Did you move house during the pandemic or before? Could/Should you have changed your address before the pandemic?
I think his point as I alluded to is we need solutions.

Last edited:

It’s not those abroad, he gets offended at the questioning of his beliefs and reports the slightest slur immediately . Desperate for attention and validation

He can report all he wants. I reckon most of the mods know who comes on here to troll and who comes on here to have reasonable discussions.

This.

If just here on this messageboard there are at least 5 (?) of us with a very similar problem then I'd think that nationally there's possibly thousands in a similar position.
It’s not those abroad, he gets offended at the questioning of his beliefs and reports the slightest slur immediately . Desperate for attention and validation
Who ?

They do but don’t always react in an equal manner. That’s the problem, lack of consistency.

that particular poster always take offence no matter what. Facts are treated with distain if they do not fit his view of the world.

he doesn’t swear but is clever to stay this side of a warning or ban. Have you been told of how horrible a person you are yet? That’s a standard response
This.

If just here on this messageboard there are at least 5 (?) of us with a very similar problem then I'd think that nationally there's possibly thousands in a similar position.

Who ?
The poster zinedine responding to Alicante mackem

This.

Who ?
The "we need solutions" is a side point. I don't really take too kindly to know it alls that don't account for the actual circumstances telling me how easy it all is - when in fact it's very close to impossible to do what he is saying I should have done.

As for a problem, I don't know if I will even have one yet because I need the idiots at the local ayuntamiento to put me on the empadronamiento in my current area before I can even think about proceeding. We're more than 3 months on now of me going in and requesting it (which they made difficult on the day). Other ayuntamientos issued the certificate on the same day in person and the last one the day after by email (during the pandemic).
They do but don’t always react in an equal manner. That’s the problem, lack of consistency.

that particular poster always take offence no matter what. Facts are treated with distain if they do not fit his view of the world.

he doesn’t swear but is clever to stay this side of a warning or ban. Have you been told of how horrible a person you are yet? That’s a standard response

All i see is him whining about how bad it is posters commenting or thinking contrary to his mates. Proper delicate victim.

Last edited:
The "we need solutions" is a side point. I don't really take too kindly to know it alls that don't account for the actual circumstances telling me how easy it all is - when in fact it's very close to impossible to do what he is saying I should have done.

As for a problem, I don't know if I will even have one yet because I need the idiots at the local ayuntamiento to put me on the empadronamiento in my current area before I can even think about proceeding. We're more than 3 months on now of me going in and requesting it (which they made difficult on the day). Other ayutamientos issued the certificate on the same day in person and the last one the day after by email (during the pandemic).

All i see is him whining about how bad it is posters commenting or thinking contrary to his mates. Proper delicate victim.
That’s the one exactly. I’ve noticed it on a regular basis his game. Permantly offended and aggrieved, that others do not immediately condescend to him.

he will probably be along shortly to confront me over this. Wasting his time though now, I’ve seen through it

Last edited:

Ah, that makes total sense.

He seems to see red mist when he responds to any of my posts no matter what the subject. It's almost as if he responds to the poster and not the content of the post. He doesn't seem to like me as I challenge his myopic views, if I say white he says black, always the contrary view. I can live with that but it gets tedious especially when he resorts to the Brits living abroad, hating the country, etc.

Ah, that makes total sense.

He seems to see red mist when he responds to any of my posts no matter what the subject. It's almost as if he responds to the poster and not the content of the post. He doesn't seem to like me as I challenge his myopic views, if I say white he says black, always the contrary view. I can live with that but it gets tedious especially when he resorts to the Brits living abroad, hating the country, etc.
It’s a standard way he posts, no matter what you say or present to him. A real troll, who brings nothing but upset

just be wary as he posts with the intent on reporting. That’s all he lives for

Last edited:
It’s a standard way he posts, no matter what you say or present to him. A real troll, who brings nothing but upset

just be wary as he posts with the intent on reporting. That’s all he lives for
Let him crack on. 20 plus years of posting on here without a warning or ban. He'll have to try harder. :lol:

I may be lucky in that respect, I live in a very tiny village with very easy access to the Ayuntamiento and the Extranjero policia is in the local town where the Maria I mentioned earlier knows them all. Hopefully she'll be able to sort out my grey area. I was waiting until the mad rush at the end of last year/beginning of this year was over, they actually closed the local office dealing with it for a month because the bloke dealing with residencia had not had a day off for over a year !. It seems to be pretty much back to normal around here now and appointments are easy to get, hopefully I'll not have to go into Granada (200km roundtrip). In my experience there's normally a way around Spanish bureaucracy...eventually.

My lad learned his Spanish at school here in Andalucia and speaks proper Andalus. A few years ago he was working in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam when a group of Peruvian lasses came in and he started speaking to them in Spanish. They cracked up at his accent and kept asking him to repeat his sentences then absolutely cracking up with laughter. They said his accent was very funny.
I thought Andalusian accent was closer to most South American accents than Castilian? The “s” in AndaluSia as opposed to AndaluTHia as an example.

I thought Andalusian accent was closer to most South American accents than Castilian? The “s” in AndaluSia as opposed to AndaluTHia as an example.
I think it was more the Andalus way of dropping the ends of words and even ends of sentences that they found amusing, as well as the "unclean" pronunciation.

Back