Spain changing their mind on vaccine strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

From El Pais newspaper.

"Studies indicate that just one dose of the vaccine can provide a high level of protection from Covid-19. This means that every second dose administered could be seen as a jab that didn’t go toward protecting another person".

There are the unknowns, which I guess is why every country bar the UK is adhering to the manufacturers guidelines.

This is from your El Pais link.
Although the Canadian scientists admit that there are doubts about how long the protection from one dose lasts,

It will be a while before we know if the 12 weeks between jabs that Johnsons government made a political decision about is an effective strategy.

There are the unknowns, which I guess is why every country bar the UK is adhering to the manufacturers guidelines.

It will be a while before we know if the 12 weeks between jabs that Johnsons government made a political decision about is an effective strategy.

:lol:

It was the JCVI's decision, man

Johnson did not make a political decision, he accepted the scientific recommendation of the JCVI
Members of JCVI who made the 12 week decision, all scientists, not one politician amongst them

Last edited:

They start getting their second dose on Tuesday anyway so it's been proven to work. Cases have dropped like a stone.
EU hesitation has proven to be unfounded but they had already gone the long way round. Can they change it now? I don't know

Last edited:
It was a political decision based on what he was told. That is still a political decision. Let's hope it was the correct one. As I said, it will be a while before we know for sure.

No it wasn’t it wasn’t his decision to make it was the JCVI’s, that’s what they are for

They start getting their second dose on Tuesday anyway so it's been proven to work. Cases have dropped like a stone.
EU hesitation has proven to be unfounded but they had already gone the long way round. Can they change it now? I don't know
It will be a long while before the data is in and analysed as to whether the 4 week gap between doses resulted in less deaths after the initial dose than the 12 week gap.

EU "hesitation" as you put it was based on the recommendations of the manufacturers of the vaccines.
No it wasn’t it wasn’t his decision to make it was the JCVI’s, that’s what they are for
They advise. Government makes decisions.

Last edited:
It will be a long while before the data is in and analysed as to whether the 4 week gap between doses resulted in less deaths after the initial dose than the 12 week gap.

EU "hesitation" as you put it was based on the recommendations of the manufacturers of the vaccines.

They advise. Government makes decisions.

It wouldve been Boris' decision in as much he signed it off. But let's face it, Boris isnt a decision maker & the civil service have a lot more sway on decisions than you're giving them credit for. He would have been told that the 12 week delay was best by the scientists, then accepted it & signed it off.

It's as much a political decision as the EU's hesitation

Last edited:

It's already in man. The 12 week wait, which is over next week, has not resulted in any undue deaths. The vaccine efficacy has exceeded expectations, the WHO have even confirmed it. What more do you want.

"The World Health Organisation has recommended the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine for Covid-19 for all age groups, including the over-65s.
They also gave the UK government’s vaccine strategy a boost after backing increasing the time between first and second doses to 12 weeks".

Have you seen the latest findings? Vaccines save lives. The more you give the more you save.

That's one of the bitter ex pats. The last thing he would do is give the UK any credit.
Bitter ex pats? Please stick your head up your arse even further. Why do you have to take relish in different countries and very different cultures having different responses? We, that is all of us, are facing a pandemic. Some have done better with vaccine roll-outs, some don't have the death toll other countries have. It's not an invitation to flag wave. But as always you can't resist. Sad.

Bitter ex pats? Please stick your head up your arse even further. Why do you have to take relish in different countries and very different cultures having different responses? We, that is all of us, are facing a pandemic. Some have done better with vaccine roll-outs, some don't have the death toll other countries have. It's not an invitation to flag wave. But as always you can't resist. Sad.
Not all ex pat's are bitter. However, you must have your head up your arse if you don't recognise the three or four on here that are.

Not all ex pat's are bitter. However, you must have your head up your arse if you don't recognise the three or four on here that are.
Ok the virus was first encountered on Spanish shores within Europe. Dreadful stories of staff stricken and unable to get into work. Old peoples homes with residents dying because the staff were too ill to go in.Whilst that blond tousled wanker who you no doubt think is a bit of a lad was going around shaking hands. The scoreboard, for want of a phrase that is I'm sure you secretly count, months later is Spain around 68,000 excess deaths and the UK despite a 5 week start 120,000 excess deaths.
And these are people, human beings, and you, you, I can't type the words to express my absolute disgust at you trying to make a Little Englander point scoring exercise at the thought of the carnage this virus has caused.
I am so glad I'm not you-

Ok the virus was first encountered on Spanish shores within Europe. Dreadful stories of staff stricken and unable to get into work. Old peoples homes with residents dying because the staff were too ill to go in.Whilst that blond tousled wanker who you no doubt think is a bit of a lad was going around shaking hands. The scoreboard, for want of a phrase that is I'm sure you secretly count, months later is Spain around 68,000 excess deaths and the UK despite a 5 week start 120,000 excess deaths.
And these are people, human beings, and you, you, I can't type the words to express my absolute disgust at you trying to make a Little Englander point scoring exercise at the thought of the carnage this virus has caused.
I am so glad I'm not you-
None of the above is relevant to what I have been saying.
You seem to have list the plot.

It's already in man. The 12 week wait, which is over next week, has not resulted in any undue deaths. The vaccine efficacy has exceeded expectations, the WHO have even confirmed it. What more do you want.

"The World Health Organisation has recommended the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine for Covid-19 for all age groups, including the over-65s.
They also gave the UK government’s vaccine strategy a boost after backing increasing the time between first and second doses to 12 weeks".
Why have many health authorities around the world chosen to ignore the WHO advise on administering the Astra/Zeneca vaccine to over 65's ?
Why have vaccine producers not recommended lengthening the gap between doses to 12 weeks ?
It appears to me that HerdnMulhall has more grasp on the "plot" and worldwide situation than you could ever hope to have in your myopic worldview.

Last edited:
Why have many health authorities around the world chosen to ignore the WHO advise on administering the Astra/Zeneca vaccine to over 65's ?
Why have vaccine producers not recommended lengthening the gap between doses to 12 weeks ?
They do now.

From Astra Zeneca web site.
The primary analysis of the Phase III clinical trials from the UK, Brazil and South Africa, published as a preprint in The Lancet confirmed COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is safe and effective at preventing COVID-19, with no severe cases and no hospitalisations, more than 22 days after the first dose.

Results demonstrated vaccine efficacy of 76% (CI: 59% to 86%) after a first dose, with protection maintained to the second dose. With an inter-dose interval of 12 weeks or more, vaccine efficacy increased to 82% (CI: 63%, 92%).

Besides independent analysis, which is just as important.

List the plot? Listing to the right? Listing to Farage? Listing to a vision of England as a new super power? I've read your posts for months now- It is people like you who are the irrelevance. The future is you will be swept away on the tides of history. As a non bitter ex-pat I mourn for the country that I deeply love but am deeply, deeply sorrowful for. A Govt corrupt, imbecilic, sound bites whilst institutions are dismantled and all, and I apologise if my projection of you is incorrect, whilst people like you wave the flag. You and your ilk have lost it. I hope if you have children that they will one day forgive you.

List the plot? Listing to the right? Listing to Farage? Listing to a vision of England as a new super power? I've read your posts for months now- It is people like you who are the irrelevance. The future is you will be swept away on the tides of history. As a non bitter ex-pat I mourn for the country that I deeply love but am deeply, deeply sorrowful for. A Govt corrupt, imbecilic, sound bites whilst institutions are dismantled and all, and I apologise if my projection of you is incorrect, whilst people like you wave the flag. You and your ilk have lost it. I hope if you have children that they will one day forgive you.
You were not one of the bitter ex pat's I was referring to. Glad you are not bitter......ish

They do now.

From Astra Zeneca web site.
The primary analysis of the Phase III clinical trials from the UK, Brazil and South Africa, published as a preprint in The Lancet confirmed COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is safe and effective at preventing COVID-19, with no severe cases and no hospitalisations, more than 22 days after the first dose.

Results demonstrated vaccine efficacy of 76% (CI: 59% to 86%) after a first dose, with protection maintained to the second dose. With an inter-dose interval of 12 weeks or more, vaccine efficacy increased to 82% (CI: 63%, 92%).

Besides independent analysis, which is just as important.
Isn't 22 days well within the 4 week gap recommended ? Also no mention of the over 65's in that report.
That was published on 3rd of February. I don't see countries lining up to give it to their over 65's and extend the gap to 12 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back