South Africa v England 1st test - Centurion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasonable in the second innings, and they get some leeway because of the illnesses etc

Decision to bowl was baffling
111/5 and they let them off was frustrating
Picking Bairstow was a disgrace, 2 failures (inc 1 minging shot), hardly a surprise
Poor with the bat first up (For the Gazillionth time putting us behind the 8 ball again and again )
Gave up with the ball second time round
Credit to Burns and Denly for application.
Tidied

We lost this game because of our bowling like. That’s the reality

Even on the batting people blame number 6 n 7, whoever they are, far not getting big scores

people still not getting it

flying out tomorrow and can’t wait

Last edited:
As daft as this may seem, still think we have a really good chance in this series, mainly because think South Africa are a poor side imo, Markham out for the rest of the series you would think Archer,Anderson and Broad really should be too good for their batting line up.

I agree. They’re also gonna have to try and get Bavuma back in because of their diversity target, which they failed to meet for this test

We lost this game because of our bowling like. That’s the reality

Even on the batting people blame number 6 n 7, whoever they are, far not getting big scores

people still not getting it

flying out tomorrow and can’t wait
Scoring less than 200 on a day 2 pitch was the biggest issue for me like.

No doubt the bowling was particularly bad second innings, but the first innings batting performance put us completely out of the game.

So. What changes for the 2nd test? Surely Bairstow can't be retained? Assuming Pope and Buttler are fit and well....
Do we vary the bowing attack? Sounds like Leach is on his way home and I'm not sure Parkinson or Bess are the answer. Sibley worth another go or is it Crawley's turn now?

Scoring less than 200 on a day 2 pitch was the biggest issue for me like.

No doubt the bowling was particularly bad second innings, but the first innings batting performance put us completely out of the game.
Thr bowling cost us like

wasted the first few hoursday one and yesterday was a nightmare

We only gave like 2 wickets away first they bowled class like you should on this wicket

bowling for me can’t blame 80% of the dismissals on the batsman 1st innings

Last edited:
So. What changes for the 2nd test? Surely Bairstow can't be retained? Assuming Pope and Buttler are fit and well....
Do we vary the bowing attack? Sounds like Leach is on his way home and I'm not sure Parkinson or Bess are the answer. Sibley worth another go or is it Crawley's turn now?
Parkinson was getting carted around in both the NZ and SA tour matches, he’s completely unselectable. Personally think we should just go with the same bowling attack, doubt Bess would get much of a look in if he was picked.

Bairstow out, Pope in on the batting front. Can’t really ditch Sibley after only a few tests on foreign shores, if anyone is ill Crawley can come in. The ginger wizard needs to be on the next plane home.

Parkinson was getting carted around in both the NZ and SA tour matches, he’s completely unselectable. Personally think we should just go with the same bowling attack, doubt Bess would get much of a look in if he was picked.

Bairstow out, Pope in on the batting front. Can’t really ditch Sibley after only a few tests on foreign shores, if anyone is ill Crawley can come in. The ginger wizard needs to be on the next plane home.
Wouldn't disagree with any of that. We miss Ali - he may not be a world beater but he's the best we've got. Batting him at 8 would also give us depth

Thr bowling cost us like

wasted the first few hoursday one and yesterday was a nightmare

We only gave like 2 wickets away first they bowled class like you should on this wicket

bowling for me can’t blame 80% of the dismissals on the batsman 1st innings
Sibley, Root, Bairstow and Stokes all from the top 7 were out from ordinary shots. The bowling was fairly sub standard throughout, but the batting first innings was worse.

I really don't understand this trend the current team seem to have with winning the toss and bowling - it's not like we have a young, fearsome bowling attack like, say, the Aussies.

Is it because of the perceived weakness of our batting line-up and the belief they won't post a decent total first up? I really don't know.

Anyway, to quote W G Grace - "When you win the toss - bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague then bat."

I really don't understand this trend the current team seem to have with winning the toss and bowling - it's not like we have a young, fearsome bowling attack like, say, the Aussies.

Is it because of the perceived weakness of our batting line-up and the belief they won't post a decent total first up? I really don't know.

Anyway, to quote W G Grace - "When you win the toss - bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague then bat."

I think they overthought it

as not won away much, 5 Seamers bowl them out

we bowled really poorly

we need to bat first like, scoreboard pressure big. Can’t believe NZ out in at Melbourne
Same here. Going to try and get a beer arranged at CT if you fancy it

Yes mate, few other safc going I know too
Sibley, Root, Bairstow and Stokes all from the top 7 were out from ordinary shots. The bowling was fairly sub standard throughout, but the batting first innings was worse.

sorry but SA bowled really well first innings especially with new ball

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this, but I suppose it finishes this thread.

Me and the wifey went into the Thai restaurant overlooking the Nelson Mandela square in Sandton.

Players hotel is here.

I saw a couple near our table strategically located next to the table where Buttler and his Mrs and baby were.

When the Buttlers left, they said goodbye to the English couple and told them they hoped they'd enjoy Cape Town.

10 minutes later 5 more England players walked in.

As I was eating, I said as we leave, we should wish them all the best for the tour.
Wifey said leave them alone, don't bother them.

The English couple, when they left, went over and chatted to them for at least 2 or 3 minutes, not too long, TBF, the England players were polite.

I said again, I'll just wish them all the best, nothing more.
Wifey grumbled grudgingly, if you must.

Several bottles of wine, and several beers later, our time to go.

I walked past and just said " All the best for the rest of the tour".
A few " thanks" or "cheers" from the team.

The reticent Mrs El Oso chirped in:-

"Enjoy yourself, relax, I feel quite pissed!"

I walked out doubled up laughing, some astonished players, but especially Curran's eyes were on stalks!

Its utterly ridiculous, beyond stupid. There are some very rare occasions where you should put the opposition in - perhaps if it is very cloudy and overcast on day 1 with a fantastic forecast for the remaining 4 days (Headingly was a fair enough call). Even then you need to think hard about it weighing it up against batting last, scoreboard pressure, deteriorating pitch. The last couple of times we have done it have been absolutely insane. Test match cricket is hard enough without giving the impetus to the opposition by rank stupidity

Wouldn’t be too disheartened, we were 100 runs short despite a lot going against us - think it’s a definite improvement from the summer and previous under Bayliss.

Think Root needs to start kicking on. When a player of his quality makes 45+ twice in a game one of them needs to be a big hundred. That would have gone a long way to us winning. Likewise Burns, Stokes and Denly - all out pretty stupidly in one or both innings after getting starts. The lack of making big scores is what sets us apart from the best teams at present.

Don’t underestimate the illness though - absolutely decimated our squad and can’t have been easy for many of them.

We also need to see our innings. Had them 111/5 and 70/4 in the two innings yet both made around 300 - if we get them cheaply once, we win.

Wouldn’t be too disheartened, we were 100 runs short despite a lot going against us - think it’s a definite improvement from the summer and previous under Bayliss.

Think Root needs to start kicking on. When a player of his quality makes 45+ twice in a game one of them needs to be a big hundred. That would have gone a long way to us winning. Likewise Burns, Stokes and Denly - all out pretty stupidly in one or both innings after getting starts. The lack of making big scores is what sets us apart from the best teams at present.

Don’t underestimate the illness though - absolutely decimated our squad and can’t have been easy for many of them.

We also need to see our innings. Had them 111/5 and 70/4 in the two innings yet both made around 300 - if we get them cheaply once, we win.

Your first sentence is all relative as we playing a side a lot worse than we were in the summer so we should be doing better than the summer as the Aussies miles better than this South Africa side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back