So, barn owls ....

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Reiver, May 19, 2017.

1. Reiver

Reiver Winger

I live in one of the outbuildings mate ;)

Seriously, the boss is a great bloke and lets us do anything that involves nature ... one of the gardeners is going on a beekeeping course soon.

The boss forks out for all the food, bedding, vets bills etc, but he is very very rich :lol:

errant and kossoff like this.
  2. Manuel

Manuel Winger

I can put you in touch with some one from Walworth Castle birds of prey I am sure he will be willing to help.

Reiver likes this.
  3. Reiver

Reiver Winger

That's very kind mate, I'd appreciate that.

4. Son of Stan

Son of Stan Winger

I get the woodpigeons sitting on my fence and my strange neighbour complained about me feeding the birds as, she says, the pigeons sit facing the food so end up shitting in her garden. I say garden, it's all concrete with a brutally pruned tree. Mad. :lol:

Reiver likes this.
  5. Manuel

Manuel Winger

I thought you'd say you were past it now and well clued up, having read the rest of the thread, Love barn owls, actually all natural birds of prey. We have owl boxes up, and barn owl boxes in the sheds, they are great at controlling vermin and more environmentally friendly than poisons. I will contact him tomorrow and ask f I can give you his number. He exercises his birds on our fields, great for frightening the pigeons away.

Flared Hicks likes this.
  6. Reiver

Reiver Winger

I'm not that arrogant mate, we're always happy to take advice from anyone.

We also have a programme of putting up all kinds of boxes around the place .... hopefully, if we release any of our they'll use them.

We're even giving over parts of the garden to create hedgehog villages ;)

7. raindog

raindog Winger

Well reading through this thread its good to see all your efforts come to fruition. I might see if i can attract some round our Bowling clubs green. Lovely creatures ....can you comment if any of these boxes below will work ?

Barn Owl Nest Box Pole Model – Barn Owl Box Company

Barn Owl Fact Sheet

Building a Bird House? Make the Right Size Hole

We get frequent Kestrels, Sparrowhawks overhead would it be a concern?

I want to tap into some local funding to plant more wild flowers in our surrounding area to encourage bees etc I was actually thinking of maybe a beehive as the school my youngest daughter attends have a couple on their fields and make their own honey and sell it to parents Thought it might sell to opponents and visitors to our Bowling club...anyway

The land the club has at its disposal that we maintain... Allotments bottom right 3rd

[​IMG]

Reiver likes this.
  8. Charlestonian

Charlestonian Midfield

Aye puts into perspective, closest I get to owt like this is watching my other half’s folks gan leet about moles running a mock!
    I did see a weasel knack a rabbit last year at their kip as well like, bad little sods weasels!

Reiver likes this.
  9. Reiver

Reiver Winger

It's quite tricky mate.

The 3rd link you put on is good, the height the box goes is important and it would ideally be as high as possible and out of all draughts .... they don't like wind.

Inside building, or under eaves is good but they're less keen on trees where crows etc, can mob up on them.

Quiet, dark and private is best ... crows, magpies, etc don't like going into dark buildings etc.

That's my advice but I'm sure other people, on here, can help as well .... good luck with it all, it's quite humbling to help creatures like this.

raindog likes this.
  10. Son of Stan

Son of Stan Winger

I love hedgehogs. I live next to a dene and in previous years I used to feed them and get about 8 in the garden which was great to watch. However, I got absolutely none last year. Completely gone. I found one frozen and a couple were run over. It's just so sad.

Reiver likes this.
  11. Barboza dh9

Barboza dh9 Winger

@Barnacle Boy Is class at looking after hedgehogs marra

12. Jambezz

Jambezz Midfield

Bloody hell, any chance of a fiver?

kossoff and Reiver like this.
  13. Wouldn't have guessed that mind. :lol:

Reiver likes this.
  14. Manuel

Manuel Winger

I would say the same, I was told a barn owl box is completely different to a normal owl box. I was told you want a standard box with a shelf on the top so they can perch then drop in. Inside of course.

raindog likes this.
  15. Dmac1969

Dmac1969 Winger

Love owL like this me! Great stuff.

kossoff likes this.
  16. Scotsmackem

Scotsmackem Striker

Sounds class, puts me fish tank to shame. Got any pictures?

Reiver likes this.
  17. Hue Jorgan

Hue Jorgan Midfield

Two hits too who?

18. Chesterladmackem

Chesterladmackem Goalkeeper

Give Billy Clasper a ring, sure he could sort you out a free book from the library.

Reiver likes this.
  19. Reiver

Reiver Winger

[​IMG]

Chesterladmackem likes this.
  20. rocky

rocky Striker

Lies

Reiver and PhilSAFC like this.