So, barn owls ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well yeah, that's the reason for adding a ;) to Source?

For anyone who's interested we have bee hives arriving in June.

A local woman is bringing them and will be looking after them, she has all the knowledge and experience but no suitable land.

We've just planted out a lavender field, in the meadow, and will be putting in whatever plants & flowers she wants.

The gardens will go berserk in a season or two, with the resident bees doing their thing. Make your own Mead (Riv's Waggledance) rather than flogging the honey - you know you want to!!

The gardens will go berserk in a season or two, with the resident bees doing their thing. Make your own Mead (Riv's Waggledance) rather than flogging the honey - you know you want to!!

I'm lucky that the gardeners, Mrs Reiver and the boss all love these mad schemes.

The shame is that we have several huge greenhouses that are mainly unused.

Perfect for a still or growing cannabis ..... sadly we back onto the common where the Paras train :confused:

Class this @Reiver, I’d completely forgotten to check on the thread, is the little one still going well?

I saw my first wild owl last week at my other half’s Ma’s at Coxhoe, magnificent beast it was.

Class this @Reiver, I’d completely forgotten to check on the thread, is the little one still going well?

I saw my first wild owl last week at my other half’s Ma’s at Coxhoe, magnificent beast it was.

Cheers mate, nice to hear from you.

I'll be putting up some more photos when I'm home from the match on Tuesday.

He's doing well an will be 6 weeks old on Sunday .... he's just starting to move his wings so he'll be flapping them soon.

He's moving around the nest box and having a great time screeching, hissing at us and clicking his beak.

The new large aviary is virtually ready so we'll move them in a couple of weeks, that'll need some heavy duty gloves and nerves of steel :lol:

We've been asked, by a bird of prey rescue centre if we can take an American Kestrel, 2 Tawny Owls and some more barn owls.

They're coming down, next week, to check out the accomodation we have an advise us .... if we take them they'll give us ongoing support.

The kestrel has been trained to fly free to the glove so, with time & patience, we might get it back to that state, fingers crossed.

Off to kip now mate, see you next week ;)

Cheers mate, nice to hear from you.

I'll be putting up some more photos when I'm home from the match on Tuesday.

He's doing well an will be 6 weeks old on Sunday .... he's just starting to move his wings so he'll be flapping them soon.

He's moving around the nest box and having a great time screeching, hissing at us and clicking his beak.

The new large aviary is virtually ready so we'll move them in a couple of weeks, that'll need some heavy duty gloves and nerves of steel :lol:

We've been asked, by a bird of prey rescue centre if we can take an American Kestrel, 2 Tawny Owls and some more barn owls.

They're coming down, next week, to check out the accomodation we have an advise us .... if we take them they'll give us ongoing support.

The kestrel has been trained to fly free to the glove so, with time & patience, we might get it back to that state, fingers crossed.

Off to kip now mate, see you next week ;)
Really sorry to veer slightly but we can’t have mention of a kestrel and football in the same post without at least a little sneak peek at the classic scene ...

Monkey faced owl? That's a strange name, I like the sound of hobby owl, though.
I think “hobby owl” may be named subbuteo in Latin. It’s where the kids football game got its name from as the inventor was also a keen birdwatcher iirc.

Crackin thread btw.

Last edited:
Where do you live reiver?

GU10 2ED mate, Google Maps

Not my place obviously but we run the estate and have a free hand to do whatever we choose.

The head gardener is bringing his kids to stay, for the weekend, while we go off to the match .... we're lucky that the staff all enjoy looking after all the critters.

We haven't seen the boss, or had any visits, since October .... it's all a bit mad.

Last edited:
I think “hobby owl” may be named subbuteo in Latin. It’s where the kids football game got its name from as the inventor was also a keen birdwatcher iirc.

Crackin thread btw.
I looked that up in Wikipedia apparently it is a bird of prey known as the Eurasian Hobby which is a small slim falcon - I love stuff like This, utterly useless stuff that I will remember now

GU10 2ED mate, Google Maps

Not my place obviously but we run the estate and have a free hand to do whatever we choose.

The head gardener is bringing his kids to stay, for the weekend, while we go off to the match .... we're lucky that the staff all enjoy looking after all the critters.

We haven't seen the boss, or had any visits, since October .... it's all a bit mad.

Imagine having so much cash that you can have a place like this and not even go there for 6 months, must be one hell of a life your boss has. I haven’t been to my 3 bed semi in yarm for 10 years now not quite and impressive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back