So, barn owls ....

All six eggs hatched? Sounds good. Hope they all do well.

Six laid so far but there may be more .... the first should hatch around the 3rd of March.

we're like expectant parents at the moment :lol:

Didn’t realise they nested so early in the year.

It's really warm here mate .... we have tulips and daffodils coming out, the trees are budding and we saw our first butterflies yesterday.

Six laid so far but there may be more .... the first should hatch around the 3rd of March.

we're like expectant parents at the moment :lol:
Ah, I get you. Thought that was a bit quick! Six eggs seems a lot, but more chance of some hatching/surviving I guess. Is this early for eggs or just seems that what due to wintry weather.

Ah, I get you. Thought that was a bit quick! Six eggs seems a lot, but more chance of some hatching/surviving I guess. Is this early for eggs or just seems that what due to wintry weather.

We're in Surrey and it's been about 10 degrees today.

The eggs are laid in sequence so they don't all hatch on the same day demanding food.

She may lay more but we hope that's it tbh.

Sadly, if the first 4 or 5 are strong and healthy she'll feed them and possibly neglect the others .....

.... if that happens Mrs Reiver will have them up here in a basket, hand feeding :lol:

..... does anyone have experience of keeping them?

We've just taken all the glass out of an old 30x20 metre greenhouse and were left with a wonderful steel frames structure that was too good to destroy. We decided to turn it into an aviary and see what turned up ....... so we were at the wildlife rescue centre, yesterday, picking up 21 rescued mallard ducklings. When we mentioned the aviary he took us to see a pair of rescued barn owls :eek:

Some lunatic, in Southampton, had bought them as a birthday present for his girlfriend and they were living in their house .... as they were bred in captivity he daren't release them as they won't be able to fend for themselves. So we've put a shed in the 'aviary' plus a couple of nestboxes and various perches etc.
We've also dragged a dead tree, from the forest and set that up in there and put a beautiful but knackered old stone fountain for water.

After that we're clueless as to how to look after them .... help?

I don’t sorry - hope that this helps ?

The eggs are laid in sequence so they don't all hatch on the same day demanding food.

Sadly, if the first 4 or 5 are strong and healthy she'll feed them and possibly neglect the others .....

.... if that happens Mrs Reiver will have them up here in a basket, hand feeding :lol:
Oh, wonderful. Sounds like you both might have a bit a a work ahead. I remember seeing the owls on Springwatch and how small the last one was. But it survived iirc. So, good luck with that.

We have a little owl near us. It's class.

What would help would be if you took your sparkling sense of humour to a thread that truly deserves it .... this is just for simple animal loving folk.

Ok, I am sorry, hope this apology helps you in your quest with an owl, pussy cat!

We have a little owl near us. It's class.

Owls are unlike other birds in our imagination aren't they ... they're even different to other birds of prey.

They're quite mysterious birds, our barn owls look us straight in the eye and it's a little unnerving.

I suppose their use in fairy stories and films has fixed them, as wise all seeing creatures, in our minds.

When our 1 year old granddaughter first went to see them she instantly said 'hoot hoot' :lol:

Last edited:
Owls are unlike other birds in our imagination aren't they ... they're even different to other birds of prey.

They're quite mysterious birds, our barn owls look us straight in the eye and it's a little unnerving.

I suppose their use in fairy stories and films has fixed them, as wise all seeing creatures, in our minds.

When our 1 year old granddaughter first went to see them she instantly said 'hoot hoot' :lol:
My allotment was in Cheam park inside what was walled gardens of an old manor house. I used to hear this screeching for ages before I sussed what it was. I always used to think owls were nocturnal which they are of course but this one I used to see regularly during the days just brazenly sitting in the tree branches on on the shed roofs. You could get quite close to it. You can often see it flying at twilight.

My allotment was in Cheam park inside what was walled gardens of an old manor house. I used to hear this screeching for ages before I sussed what it was. I always used to think owls were nocturnal which they are of course but this one I used to see regularly during the days just brazenly sitting in the tree branches on on the shed roofs. You could get quite close to it. You can often see it flying at twilight.

Which makes them a pretty poor choice of pet unless you're a shift worker ;)

I love those old Victorian walled gardens, there's something really special about them.

We're trying to create the same effect here and growing climbing pears, creating a vegetable garden and a huge fruit cage.

The head gardener is loving it, he's been here 30 years and was resigned to mowing, pruning and weeding before I arrived.

We now have all kinds of projects from growing masses of stuff from seed to having beehives .... the place is gradually becoming a little paradise.

Back