So, barn owls ....

@Reiver how are the owls doing fella?

Cheers for asking mate, I didn't want to post stuff unless people were really interested.

They're doing great and things couldn't be better. It's bitterly cold and, despite the shed already being heated, we went out and bought a posh oil-filled heater.

Bonnie stopped laying at 6 eggs, which was a relief, so we now know what we have on our hands. The first egg is due to hatch on Monday, when our little 2 year old granddaughter arrives, so we're taking that as a good omen. I had a long phone call, with the Sheikh, yesterday and he's happy to provide whatever food, vet care, accomodation they need so we're quite lucky in that respect. He's agreed to us sending the under gardener, Lubo, on a bee-keeping course so we can have hives. As you'll know bees are in trouble so we're currently growing thousands of flower seeds to plant out for them .... fingers crossed as always.

We're in the process of enlarging the owl flights, putting up extra nest boxes etc, and had people here from the Barn Owl Trust to advise. I'm allowing them to have their privacy until the owlets appear but I'll post some more photos asap. In the meantime I'll put up some of the geese and ducks who are mating away so we'll be seeing some babies this spring.
The mallard ducklings, we rescued last spring, have returned as adults and still allow us to feed them by hand .... incredible! They sleep in the stable during the day but won't allow us to close them in at night despite the cold.

The foxes have started to appear outside our window, asking for food, so we suspect they might have cubs to feed .... delicate balance tbh. All we can do is our best and trust our instincts. We reckon we keep them away from the chickens, ducks and geese by feeding them up here and so far it seems to work.
The badgers have stopped coming so we think there's some mini-hibernating going on.

I'll stick the photos up tonight or tomorrow mate ;)

Last edited:
Cheers for asking mate, I didn't want to post stuff unless people were really interested.

They're doing great and things couldn't be better. It's bitterly cold and, despite the shed already being heated, we went out and bought a posh oil-filled heater.

Bonnie stopped laying at 6 eggs, which was a relief, so we now know what we have on our hands. The first egg is due to hatch on Monday, when our little 2 year old granddaughter arrives, so we're taking that as a good omen. I had a long phone call, with the Sheikh, yesterday and he's happy to provide whatever food, vet care, accomodation they need so we're quite lucky in that respect. He's agreed to us sending the under gardener, Lubo, on a bee-keeping course so we can have hives. As you'll know bees are in trouble so we're currently growing thousands of flower seeds to plant out for them .... fingers crossed as always.

We're in the process of enlarging the owl flights, putting up extra nest boxes etc, and had people here from the Barn Owl Trust to advise. I'm allowing them to have their privacy until the owlets appear but I'll post some more photos asap. In the meantime I'll put up some of the geese and ducks who are mating away so we'll be seeing some babies this spring.
The mallard ducklings, we rescued last spring, have returned as adults and still allow us to feed them by hand .... incredible! They sleep in the stable during the day but won't allow us to close them in at night despite the cold.

The foxes have started to appear outside our window, asking for food, so we suspect they might have cubs to feed .... delicate balance tbh. All we can do is our best and trust our instincts. We reckon we keep them away from the chickens, ducks and geese by feeding them up here and so far it seems to work.
The badgers have stopped coming so we think there's some mini-hibernating going on.

I'll stick the photos up tonight or tomorrow mate ;)

Glad all is well, was thinking about them the other day with the cold snap, sounds rather busy but the good kind mate!

The majority of us on here are genuinely interested in their progress. I can't understand the point of anyone coming on here and being negative. For whatever reason. A lot more interesting and rewarding than some of the stuff that gets posted.

Keep the news coming brother, it's fascinating and I don't mind admitting I'm envious of what you are doing. The news of the fox is intriguing and thought provoking. Anyhow, keep the updates coming, we'll let you know when you can stop;)

I’m starting to understand why you don’t like posting so much!

There's always some pompous bellend who can take offence at absolutely anything I post.

When I call them out they vanish, whinge to the Mods and I get a warning or a thread ban.

Logon or register to see this image

https://postimg.org/image/qnm2me2rn/

https://postimg.org/image/e8zam9dw3/

Keep the news coming brother, it's fascinating and I don't mind admitting I'm envious of what you are doing. The news of the fox is intriguing and thought provoking. Anyhow, keep the updates coming, we'll let you know when you can stop;)

Anyone who's interested is always welcome to pop in if they're passing, there's always a warm welcome.

The Sheikh has a saying, "My house is your house," and we carry that invitation on to our guests.

There's a dozen bedrooms so all are welcome if they're capable of appreciating what we're doing.

We're not experts but our hearts are in the right place and we'll always listen to advice.

The gardeners, housekeepers and other staff are all in this together so the animals and birds have the best f care.

Post code is GU10 2ED btw.

Last edited:
Awesome thread. The photos and stories have put massive smiles on the faces of the missus and I.

I missed it the first time around and just saw it for the first time tonight.

Great work @Reiver !

Please keep us updated! Worrying about them all in this bitter weather!

Awesome thread. The photos and stories have put massive smiles on the faces of the missus and I.

I missed it the first time around and just saw it for the first time tonight.

Great work @Reiver !

Please keep us updated! Worrying about them all in this bitter weather!

Your post has brought tears to my eyes mate, thank you.

Me and our lass were out, in a blizzard this morning, feeding all kinds of domestic and wild birds and animals.

My fingers were freezing and, to my shame, I wondered if it was all worth the bother.

Your post, from you and your missus, make me think I can't wait to get down there tomorrow to keep it all going .... please tell her that.

Thanks to the posts on here tonight I'll just keep hoying up photos as they arrive ... thanks again ;)

Your post has brought tears to my eyes mate, thank you.

Me and our lass were out, in a blizzard this morning, feeding all kinds of domestic and wild birds and animals.

My fingers were freezing and, to my shame, I wondered if it was all worth the bother.

Your post, from you and your missus, make me think I can't wait to get down there tomorrow to keep it all going .... please tell her that.

Thanks to the posts on here tonight I'll just keep hoying up photos as they arrive ... thanks again ;)

You've inspired us. For ages I've wanted to do something to help animals and after reading your thread the missus and I have been chatting. Turns out a friend of hers used to look after bats from the bat protection people.

We're going to have a look into it and see if there's anything we can do.

You've inspired us. For ages I've wanted to do something to help animals and after reading your thread the missus and I have been chatting. Turns out a friend of hers used to look after bats from the bat protection people.

We're going to have a look into it and see if there's anything we can do.

That's wonderful mate .... whatever you can do is good for yourself as well as any creature you help.

There's always someone local, or on the internet, who can advise.

Good luck and keep in touch ;)

Rehome them to people who know what they are doing?
That’s no expert either but just a reasonable expectation

Do you have any idea how impossible that is .... I'd bet you don't have a clue tbh.

Because of wankers, like the people who had these two, there are hundreds of unwanted barn owls and the rescue centres can't cope with any more.

So what usually happens is that they're passed around until they're eventually turfed out into the wild where they usually starve to death.

Any imbecile can buy owls, off the internet, but they don't want mature owls like ours.

They can live for 15 plus years which is a lot of food & care but they can never be released or even trained.

Our owls are housed in a purpose built shed with a huge flight, fed a balanced diet and looked after by people who really care for their welfare.

The rescue centre use us as a release centre for all kinds of creatures and we care for them before and after they're put back into the wild.

We have ducks, geese and chickens of our own so are used to caring for birds and have 20 acres of Surrey countryside for them to enjoy.

If you'd bothered to read the thread you'd know that we're advised by the best experts available.

But, no, you just jump in and decide to have a pop despite obviously not having a clue .... tbh I don't give two hoots for your opinion :cool:

Last edited:

Back