SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

I've still got Eurosport Player which covers all the matches and is pretty decent, but aye those 2 channels will generally just show the main court matches unless there's a Brit involved, like Konta tomorrow. Strange how they've done it, there's 128 1st round matches overall and it's spread over 3 days, but only 32 tomorrow, so 96 over Monday and Tuesday.

I'm mostly interested in the Konta, Williams and Schiavone matches tomorrow, but will be keeping an eye on Ostapenko and some of the other bigger names in the men's (Zverev, Dimitrov etc.)

Thought the all French wildcard clash would have been on a bigger court.

I had a look the other day and it was about £40 a year for Eurosport Player, :eek:

I'm watching svitolina shame I haven't got Eurosport player so im limited in what I can see might look for streams tomorrow when I start my betting.

It'll be good for those without the player if ITV4 and Eurosport 1 keep showing alternative matches so that you get a choice of match rather than just the same on both channels.

Poor start here for Svitolina.

Wow. Still early on, but looking like the Grand Slam curse may continue for Svitolina. Double break down already, still favourite in-play, but looks like the set is almost gone, 1-4.

I love the first day of a grand slam. You can feel the tension.

So true. It's crazy, at 5-1 down and fending off a couple set points, Svitolina could have easily lost that first set and obviously in the women's if you lose the fist set, there isn't as much room to manoeuvre so could have been looking at a very early exit (still might, but unlikely) after all the talk about can she finally transform her tour form to the biggest stages and being joint favourite to win it. She looked so edgy and nervous early on, but has now gone on to win 8 games in a row and should be fine from here.

I love the first day of a grand slam. You can feel the tension.

I didn't realise Svitolina boyfriend is English cricketer, Reece Topley.

Yeah, I hadn't hard of Topley, but knew she was dating him. She's lived in London for a while now and has a heavily dominant English team behind her. She may as well switch nationalities :D

Last edited:
So true. It's crazy, at 5-1 down and fending off a couple set points, Svitolina could have easily lost that first set and obviously in the women's if you lose the fist set, there isn't as much room to manoeuvre so could have been looking at a very early exit (still might, but unlikely) after all the talk about can she finally transform her tour form to the biggest stages and being joint favourite to win it. She looked so edgy and nervous early on, but has now gone on to win 8 games in a row and should be fine from here.

Yeah, I hadn't hard of Topley, but knew she was dating him. She's lived in London for a while now and has a heavily dominant English team behind her. She may as well switch nationalities :D
Maybe she will be a future British superstar. They are actually married now. Not sure how big cricket is in Ukraine.

Skybet have boosted Nadal not to drop a set to 7/1, good price that especially given the draw he has, certainly shouldn’t be dropping a set to anyone before the final.

Kyrgios has pulled out. Won a dubs title with Jack Sock last week in Lyon so can't be far away, best off saving himself for grass season I guess if he's not 100%.

Kyrgios has pulled out. Won a dubs title with Jack Sock last week in Lyon so can't be far away, best off saving himself for grass season I guess if he's not 100%.

A shame, but not a massive shock, looks like he thinks he will be ready for the grass season

Logon or register to see this image

Must be a bit annoying for RG, the likes of NK and Rionic may well have skipped it anyway even if Wimbledon was played say in October, but with another Grand Slam just 5 weeks later and still generally considered one of the best to win, they will likely lose more players than if they were more evenly spread out. Nick obviously made his big breakthrough at Wimbledon and Raonic is a former finalist much more suited to grass (they both are), but with Federer snubbing it, it must be irritating.

8 lucky losers from qualifying :eek:

Last edited:
What the story behind the lucky losers? They've just been talking about it on ITV but I missed the beginning of the conversation.

Back