SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

The good thing about the French is that if your favourites do go out early, there's not long at all to wait until the next slam. Same for Wimbledon I guess.

Our third annual ranking of the biggest names in sports

That's a good point, I saw this list the other day of the most famous active sports people and there were 6 women tennis players in there, 7 including Murza. That's more than the men (5) and there were only 5 other women on the list. 3 of those you mention were in there and you do get the impression that she could be added in the coming years, but she does need to keep winning.

That's an interesting list, plenty of footballers in there, but I've said for ages that if you asked random general sports fans to name 10 active tennis players then half of those would be women and that just wouldn't happen in many other mainstream sports. Whether that's an indication of where the men's game has been these past few years or more the star power of those women I'm not sure, but it's definitely one of the few sports where the women are just as credible and the endorsements and prize money potential are enormous if you do well. There are a few other candidates but hopefully they truly emerge before these current legends hang up their boots.

Oh and I've literally not left the house today and likely won't tomorrow either :lol:.

That's an interesting list, plenty of footballers in there, but I've said for ages that if you asked random general sports fans to name 10 active tennis players then half of those would be women and that just wouldn't happen in many other mainstream sports. Whether that's an indication of where the men's game has been these past few years or more the star power of those women I'm not sure, but it's definitely one of the few sports where the women are just as credible and the endorsements and prize money potential are enormous if you do well. There are a few other candidates but hopefully they truly emerge before these current legends hang up their boots.

Oh and I've literally not left the house today and likely won't tomorrow either :lol:.

Class :lol:

Tomorrow's order of play:

Court Philippe-Chatrier
From 10am:

Petra KVITOVA (CZE) [8] v Veronica CEPEDE ROYG (PAR)
Rogerio DUTRA SILVA (BRA) v Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB) [20]
Danielle COLLINS (USA) v Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN) [2]
Rafael NADAL (ESP) [1] v Simone BOLELLI (ITA)

Court Suzanne-Lenglen
Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ (ESP) v Stan WAWRINKA (SUI) [23]
Andrea PETKOVIC (GER) v Kristina MLADENOVIC (FRA)[29]
Andreas SEPPI (ITA) v Richard GASQUET (FRA)[27]
Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS) [28] v Richel HOGENKAMP (NED)

Court 1
Benoit PAIRE (FRA) v Roberto CARBALLES BAENA (ESP)
Dominic THIEM (AUT) [7] v Ilya IVASHKA (BLR)
Laura SIEGEMUND (GER) v Coco VANDEWEGHE (USA)[15]
Barbora KREJCIKOVA (CZE) v Karolina PLISKOVA (CZE) [6]

Court 3
Sofia KENIN (USA) v Naomi OSAKA (JPN) [21]
Roberto BAUTISTA AGUT (ESP) [13] v Denis ISTOMIN (UZB)
Diego SCHWARTZMAN (ARG) [11] v Calvin HEMERY (FRA)

Heather WATSON (GBR) v Oceane DODIN (FRA)

Court 4
Caroline DOLEHIDE (USA) v Viktorija GOLUBIC (SUI)
Rebecca PETERSON (SWE) v Su-Wei HSIEH (TPE)
Mirza BASIC (BIH) v Adam PAVLASEK (CZE)

Court 5
Camila GIORGI (ITA) v Grace MIN (USA)
Jiri VESELY (CZE) v Dusan LAJOVIC (SRB)
Jordan THOMPSON (AUS) v Casper RUUD (NOR)

Court 6
Ana KONJUH (CRO) v Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO (ESP) [23]

Peter GOJOWCZYK (GER) v Cameron NORRIE (GBR)
Borna CORIC (CRO) v Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER (GER) [22]
Varvara LEPCHENKO (USA) v Elise MERTENS (BEL) [16]

Court 7
Stefanos TSITSIPAS (GRE) v Carlos TABERNER (ESP)
Frances TIAFOE (USA) v Sam QUERREY (USA)[12]
Magdalena RYBARIKOVA (SVK) [19] v Luksika KUMKHUM (THA)
Lucie SAFAROVA (CZE) v Jessika PONCHET (FRA)

Court 8
Ernests GULBIS (LAT) v Gilles MULLER (LUX)[29]
Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP) v Santiago GIRALDO (COL)
Belinda BENCIC (SUI) v Deborah CHIESA (ITA)
Bernarda PERA (USA) v Elena VESNINA (RUS)

Court 9
Lucky Loser v Bernard TOMIC (AUS)
Daria KASATKINA (RUS) [14] v Kaia KANEPI (EST)
Tatjana MARIA (GER) v Kirsten FLIPKENS (BEL)
Horacio ZEBALLOS (ARG) v Yuichi SUGITA (JPN)

Court 12
Karen KHACHANOV (RUS) v Andreas HAIDER-MAURER (AUT)
Mihaela BUZARNESCU (ROU) [31] v Vania KING (USA)
Albert RAMOS-VINOLAS (ESP) [31] v Mikhail KUKUSHKIN (KAZ)
Kateryna BONDARENKO (UKR) v Donna VEKIC (CRO)

Court 14
Lara ARRUABARRENA (ESP) v Timea BABOS (HUN)
Jaume MUNAR (ESP) v David FERRER (ESP)
Lesia TSURENKO (UKR) v Stefanie VOEGELE (SUI)
Joao SOUSA (POR) v Guido PELLA (ARG)

Court 15
Mandy MINELLA (LUX) v Maria SAKKARI (GRE)
Anastasija SEVASTOVA (LAT)[20] v Mariana DUQUE-MARINO (COL)
Malek JAZIRI (TUN) v Mikhail YOUZHNY (RUS)

Court 16
Marco CECCHINATO (ITA) v Marius COPIL (ROU)
Dalila JAKUPOVIC (SLO) v Georgina GARCIA PEREZ (ESP)
Matthew EBDEN (AUS) v Thomas FABBIANO (ITA)

Court 18
Katerina SINIAKOVA (CZE) v Victoria AZARENKA (BLR)
Madison KEYS (USA)[13] v Sachia VICKERY (USA)
Nikoloz BASILASHVILI (GEO) v Gilles SIMON (FRA)
John ISNER (USA)[9] v Noah RUBIN (USA)

56 matches there, 28 of each, so there must be 40 remaining 1st round matches on Tuesday.

It's on both Eurosport channels pretty much all day today so with that and ITV4, you should get to see all the better looking games, or bigger names at least, without the need for the Player.

Tomorrow's order of play:

Court Philippe-Chatrier
From 10am:

Petra KVITOVA (CZE) [8] v Veronica CEPEDE ROYG (PAR)
Rogerio DUTRA SILVA (BRA) v Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB) [20]
Danielle COLLINS (USA) v Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN) [2]
Rafael NADAL (ESP) [1] v Simone BOLELLI (ITA)

I'm there now, watching Kvitova. Buzzing.

Had tickets for the outside courts but when they put Djokovic and Nadal on together I couldn't resist!

Last edited:
I'm there now, watching Kvitova. Buzzing.

Had tickets for the outside courts but when they put Djokovic and Nadal on together I couldn't resist!

Nice one mate. I'd like to get there one year as well.

Really good line up on Chatrier today, the one not mentioned is also a good looking match, real banana skin for Wozniacki that, Collins has exploded up the rankings this year after coming through the college system.

Hope Petra can turn this one around but VCR is playing really well and her serve is looking very convincing.

Nice one mate. I'd like to get there one year as well.

Really good line up on Chatrier today, the one not mentioned is also a good looking match, real banana skin for Wozniacki that, Collins has exploded up the rankings this year after coming through the college system.

Hope Petra can turn this one around but VCR is playing really well and her serve is looking very convincing.
Azarenka in trouble as well

Azarenka in trouble as well

Aye, been following the live scores for that one. Azarenka is the only remaining 'name' in that section after Ostapenko, Venus and Konta crashed out yesterday, so if she goes out then there'll be a less familiar name guaranteed to make the QF. I hope Vika turns in around, but I'd like whoever wins that match to make the QFs as at least Siniakova is young and already has a couple of WTA titles, very annoying reactions to point wins though, especially if she is playing one of your favourites :lol:

Norrie made a decent start to his match as well.

Norrie through via retirements. Those on Court 6 will have been a bit short changed so far, they've seen Suarez Navarro winning 6-0 6-1 in no time vs a just returning and more than likely, still not ready, Ana Konjuh and then Norrie 6-1 2-0 vs a visibly injured player. 2 matches complete in just over an hour and a half and pretty much no competition.

Pouille vs Norrie next, very tough, but that's a good tournament points and prize money wise whatever happens for Cam.

Anyone know who had a injury break in the Tsitispas v Taberner match? I'm stuck at work and only have limited coverage on my phone.

Azarenka out?

Aye,

So there'll be one of the following in the QFs:

Siniakova/Kozlova (not quite Ostapenko vs Azarenko)
Makarovs/Strycova - capable players but Strycova was on an 8 game losing streak coming into this and Makarova seemed on the decline and pulled out of a recent tournament injured so was doubts over her fitness
Putintseva/Brady
Wang/Martic

Martic will be favourite I reckon.

Back