SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

As for the women:

Section 1 - You'd have to think Halep vs Mertens in the last 16. Mladenovic at home and on the clay could give Halep problems in the 3rd round but she hasn't really shown any consistent form since the last French Open. Watson could maybe beat Dodin, but that's about as good as it will get I reckon.

Section 2 - Think Bertens will beat Kerber and meet Gracia in the last 16. She is still currently playing Nuremberg and had a 3 setter today and any other surface I'd back Sabalenka to beat her, but not on clay. That's still probably one of the few better 1st round matches.

Section 3 - Muguruza vs Kuznetsova is the pick of the R1 matches for me. I didn't think Garbine would have a great tournament, but bar the first round which could have been easier, she'll be reasonably happy. Other half is wide open as seeds Vandeweghe and Rybarikova are pretty useless on clay and Bencic has hardly played since the Aussie, so maybe Siegemund can get to the L16.

Section 4 - Decent enough draw for Serena if she is at any sort of level. Goerges has gone off the boil a bit so she could well get to the last 16 although the lesser Pliskova is in decent form so that's a banana skin in itself. Can see Sharpova beating the better Pliskova and reaching the L16 (and then quarters).

Section 5 - Hopefully get to see Ostapenko vs Azarenka in the 2nd round and the winner should make the L16. Bottom section again pretty wide open as seeds Konta and Williams aren't too competent on clay. Can see Martic taking that mini section and playing Ostapenko in the L16. Not too bad a draw for Konta, but I reckon her first round match is pretty much 50/50.

Section 6 - Lots of Qs here (4) but should be decent enough for Svitolina. Good chance for Osaka to meet her in the L16.

Section 7 - Really hope to see Kvitova vs Kontaveit face off in the L32 and with Stephens so inconsistent, the winner of that should get to the L16 and IMO probably reach the SF. 5 Qs in here.

Section 8 - Kastatkina vs Kanepi is another stand out R1 match. Sakkari and Suarez-Navarro will also be dangerous, nice enough draw for Wozniack who should reach at least the L16 no problem, but a potential 4th round match Kasatkina would be interesting.

Halep vs Bertens
Muguruza vs Sharapova
Ostapenko vs Svitolina
Kvitova vs Wozniacki

I've played that pretty safe picking 6 of the top 8, there'll no doubt be a shock run or two from somewhere.

I don’t see much tennis action but really looking forward to the French, gonna watch a lot more than usual!

It's my worst slam, but I like how if you wanted to, you could watch a full days play on the first Sunday and Monday, middle Saturday and Sunday and then the finals the following Saturday and Sunday, that's 6 of the 15 days, whereas at Wimbledon, it's just 3 of the 13 days play (and just 1 match on 2 of them) unless you take days off, can work from home or follow at work.

All I care about from that draw is that the WHY YOU SAY VAMOS?! derby gets an evening slot on a big court. Hopefully Schiavone comes through qualies and gets Sharapova or Pliskova and gets her last match on Chatrier like she deserves.

oh and lol @ Nicolas Kicker. Hopefully gets banned for life. Wanker.

Nadal's half of the draw for the last 3 grand slams have been suspiciously easy comparatively speaking to the opposite half.
Zverev .thiem .wawrinka. Djokovic. Kyriagos. Dimitrov. Nishikori. Goffin. All in the bottom half...
Norris has a chance to make 4th round imo

The women Q's have now also been placed. Not too many names of note/ interest bar Schiavone, with the two Brits, Bouchard and promising youngsters like Kostyuk, Lapko and Aiava all crashing out relatively early. Most qualifiers seem to be middle of the road 100-200 type journeywomen halfway through their careers. Dolehide has big potential and Peterson is on a great run and well in the top 100 now (and thus now qualifies directly for Wimbledon), but other than that, not much to write home about.

Schiavone takes on Kuzmova which is now one of the 1st round matches I'm more looking forward to. Sharapova has a bit of a gift with drawing Hogenkamp.

It's my worst slam, but I like how if you wanted to, you could watch a full days play on the first Sunday and Monday, middle Saturday and Sunday and then the finals the following Saturday and Sunday, that's 6 of the 15 days, whereas at Wimbledon, it's just 3 of the 13 days play (and just 1 match on 2 of them) unless you take days off, can work from home or follow at work.

Strange (but good) how this starts on the Sunday. How many matches are tomorrow?

Strange (but good) how this starts on the Sunday. How many matches are tomorrow?

Order of play released a couple of hours ago. Looks like their are 16 of each tomorrow:

Court Philippe Chatrier
10:00:
Viktor Troicki (Ser) v (4) Grigor Dimitrov (Bul)
(32) Alize Cornet (Fra) v Sara Errani (Ita)
(15) Lucas Pouille (Fra) v Daniil Medvedev (Rus)
(5) Jelena Ostapenko (Lat) v Kateryna Kozlova (Ukr)

Court Suzanne Lenglen
10:00: Ajla Tomljanovic (Aus) v (4) Elina Svitolina (Ukr)
Elliot Benchetrit (Fra) v (32) Gael Monfils (Fra)
Qiang Wang (Chn) v (9) Venus Williams (USA)
Ricardas Berankis (Lit) v (2) Alexander Zverev (Ger)

Court 1
10:00: Kurumi Nara (Jpn) v (26) Barbora Strycova (Cze)
(19) Kei Nishikori (Jpn) v Maxime Janvier (Fra)
(22) Johanna Konta (Gbr) v Yulia Putintseva (Kaz)
(8) David Goffin (Bel) v Robin Haase (Ned)

Court 3
10:00: Madison Brengle (USA) v (25) Anett Kontaveit (Est)
Jozef Kovalik (Svk) v (10) Pablo Carreno-Busta (Spa)
Francesca Schiavone (Ita) v Viktoria Kuzmova (Svk)
Federico Del Bonis (Arg) v Thomaz Bellucci (Bra)

Court 6
10:00: Saisai Zheng (Chn) v Ekaterina Makarova (Rus)
Nicolas Jarry (Chi) v Jared Donaldson (USA)
Oscar Otte (Ger) v Matteo Berrettini (Ita)
Magdalena Frech (Pol) v Ekaterina Alexandrova (Rus)

Court 7
10:00: (26) Damir Dzumhur (Bih) v Denis Kudla (USA)
Jennifer Brady (USA) v Amandine Hesse (Fra)
Ivo Karlovic (Cro) v Corentin Moutet (Fra)
Magda Linette (Pol) v Zarina Diyas (Kaz)

Court 9
10:00: Petra Martic (Cro) v Yafan Wang (Chn)
Martin Klizan (Svk) v Laslo Djere (Ser)
Guido Andreozzi (Arg) v Taylor Harry Fritz (USA)
Alexandra Dulgheru (Rom) v Christina McHale (USA)

Court 18
10:00: Gregoire Barrere (Fra) v Radu Albot (Mol)
Arantxa Rus (Ned) v (10) Sloane Stephens (USA)
(30) Fernando Verdasco (Spa) v Yoshihito Nishioka (Jpn)
Chloe Paquet (Fra) v Pauline Parmentier (Fra)

Order of play released a couple of hours ago. Looks like their are 16 of each tomorrow:

Court Philippe Chatrier

Court Suzanne Lenglen

Court 1

Court 3

Court 6

Court 7

Court 9

Court 18
Reckon konta might lose

Reckon konta might lose

Yeah, it's a banana skin and I can see that too. Bookies have her 3/10 reasonably big favourite, but a lot of that could be down to her beating British and also a seed. Konta has won their 2 H2H matches, both on clay, coincidentally, but the it's still by far her worst surface and Poots must be one the most inconsistent players on tour and you never know which one will show up - a very fiery character and 5/2 could be decent value.

Hope Konta does it, she went out in the first round last year so isn't defending any points, but the more points she gets the better ahead of the grass season.

Court Philippe Chatrier

Court Suzanne Lenglen

Court 1

Court 3

Court 6

Court 7

Court 9

Court 18

Cheers. Probably mainly stick to the main court tomorrow I reckon, well I suppose just whatever ITV or Eurosport are showing. Would be nice if they were in cahoots and showed different matches, but guess they will just show the main show court matches.

Cheers. Probably mainly stick to the main court tomorrow I reckon, well I suppose just whatever ITV or Eurosport are showing. Would be nice if they were in cahoots and showed different matches, but guess they will just show the main show court matches.

I've still got Eurosport Player which covers all the matches and is pretty decent, but aye those 2 channels will generally just show the main court matches unless there's a Brit involved, like Konta tomorrow. Strange how they've done it, there's 128 1st round matches overall and it's spread over 3 days, but only 32 tomorrow, so 96 over Monday and Tuesday.

I'm mostly interested in the Konta, Williams and Schiavone matches tomorrow, but will be keeping an eye on Ostapenko and some of the other bigger names in the men's (Zverev, Dimitrov etc.)

Thought the all French wildcard clash would have been on a bigger court.

Back