SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Told you about konta wish I'd had a bet on

Aye you said you thought she might lose and I was saying 5/2 was decent value. I had her in my 4 fold, but Nara lost earlier in the day after winning the first set 6-1 to someone who had lost 8 matches in a row. The other 3 came in and the 5/2 really helped boost the odds, just had a couple of quid on though.

Hope Ostapenko can turn this set around as it's a long way back if not.

Nishioka up 4-1 in the final set against Verdasco, started cramping really badly, Verdasco got it back on serve to be 4-3 but Nishioka's just broke again. He can barely move, can't even push off his front foot to get in the air for his serve.

Some effort this.

Ostapenko out :(. Her serve has been shocking for a while now and it was probably the worst I've seen it today - soo many double faults and the usual UFs.

Big shame for the tournament losing the defending champ who has started to develop a good fan base, whereas Kozlova is just really a basic journeywoman. I guess I can hope Azarenka does well now as she was due to face the winner if she can get past her tricky R1 opponent.

Goffin in big trouble.

Big big trouble now. Still just 11/8 to turn it around though.

Last edited:
She's a big character though and genuinely adds interest and has largely had a good 12 months after winning her slam - getting to the Miami final and semi's of both Beijing and Wuham which are Masters 1000 equivalents on the women's side, plus winning her first WTA tour title in that period.

She should remain in the top 10 when those points come off, unless some of those directly below her get to the latter stages here. I think she's good for the game.

Wimbledon QF as well.

Is there a bigger choker in tennis than Robin Haase? Flawless once again.

Little bit disappointed his head hasn't exploded when they made him the play the fifth set tonight but you can't always get everything you want.

You're probably right. I don't like big hitters. @The Bridge Lad knows my feelings towards them.

I do know what you mean and many don't like it including @alexander .

It is kind of similar in boxing to an all out brawler with limited defense, it can be very exciting to watch, but not necessarily for the 'purists'. I do quite like the big, all on your racket type game with numerous winners though as long as it's not just pure servebotting. I love her on court facial expressions :lol: and she's apparently huge in Latvia and if she does keep winning then she could definitely be the next crossover star to keep the sport (particularly the women's side) in the mainstream as the Williams and Sharapova's aren't going to last forever - straight set defeats to the likes of Kozlova aren't going to help this.

The good thing about the French is that if your favourites do go out early, there's not long at all to wait until the next slam. Same for Wimbledon I guess.

I do know what you mean and many don't like it including @alexander .

It is kind of similar in boxing to an all out brawler with limited defense, it can be very exciting to watch, but not necessarily for the 'purists'. I do quite like the big, all on your racket type game with numerous winners though as long as it's not just pure servebotting. I love her on court facial expressions :lol: and she's apparently huge in Latvia and if she does keep winning then she could definitely be the next crossover star to keep the sport (particularly the women's side) in the mainstream as the Williams and Sharapova's aren't going to last forever - straight set defeats to the likes of Kozlova aren't going to help this.

Our third annual ranking of the biggest names in sports

That's a good point, I saw this list the other day of the most famous active sports people and there were 6 women tennis players in there, 7 including Murza. That's more than the men (5) and there were only 5 other women on the list. 3 of those you mention were in there and you do get the impression that she could be added in the coming years, but she does need to keep winning.

Last edited:

Back