SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

And I thought we got on well :lol: got my account up by 15, so got plenty for weekend

Well, I'd literally want all your tennis picks to lose, so it would be very grim if it came in :lol:.

I see they are all underdogs as well, although I can see Wang Qiang winning. She and Giorgi are both around 11/8, so I might put them both on a double.

Well, I'd literally want all your tennis picks to lose, so it would be very grim if it came in :lol:.

I see they are all underdogs as well, although I can see Wang Qiang winning. She and Giorgi are both around 11/8, so I might put them both on a double.
Have you got bets on the others to be fair they are underdogs but not much between most of them

Have you got bets on the others to be fair they are underdogs but not much between most of them

Not yet. Free bets have now ran out so might put that aforementioned bet on at Hills with that £4 I won from the wheel spin. Zhang and Sousa are pretty big outsiders. I'll watch the two 12am matches tonight and catch up on the rest tomorrow. You seen much of the tournament overall?

Not yet. Free bets have now ran out so might put that aforementioned bet on at Hills with that £4 I won from the wheel spin. Zhang and Sousa are pretty big outsiders. I'll watch the two 12am matches tonight and catch up on the rest tomorrow. You seen much of the tournament overall?
Fair bit Yeh normally 2-3 games a night here then 1-2 daytime here mainly sticking to eurosport unless I have bets on haven't got much on outright even as coupons so I might invest, than animisova is 20/1 Suprised she isn't longer odds still.

Fair bit Yeh normally 2-3 games a night here then 1-2 daytime here mainly sticking to eurosport unless I have bets on haven't got much on outright even as coupons so I might invest, than animisova is 20/1 Suprised she isn't longer odds still.

Yeah, she ranges from 20-25/1, so Hills are on the short end of that. I guess there's been a lot of money going on her since that win earlier. There are still some very dangerous players in her half, but she is on the other half to Serena, thrashed the 24th seed 2 and 0 and has now just comfortably beaten the 3rd favourite who will have picked up as many ranking points as most these past 6-7 months. It'll be a hell of a story if she can pull it off, probably the most left field that I could think of for some time (even more than Ostapenko), but still a long long way to go.

She's up to 62 in the live rankings and will break the top 50 if she can beat Kvitova next.

Rafa looking very very good.
Small shock in kachanov getting beaten.
Federer v tsitipas & Nadal v berdych. Two tough 4th round matches

What do you make of it so far? As a Federer fan I trust your opinion more than mine. Only seen him against Fritz but he looks vv good in the heat.

knowing my luck it would go down to sunderland we will win and mcgeady score but not one of the ones I have, I got daft quid on zhang first set and sousa at 14/1 as well

Sousa first set or him to win?

I'd be a bit gutted if both Osaka and Svitolina went out, so I'm hopeful they can both turn it around. Osaka was 4-2 40-0 down there, but she broke back, so back on serve there. I'm not sure if Svitolina is a genuine threat to Serena, but she'd certainly be pleased if both of those went out here.

Sousa first set or him to win?

I'd be a bit gutted if both Osaka and Svitolina went out, so I'm hopeful they can both turn it around. Osaka was 4-2 40-0 down there, but she broke back, so back on serve there. I'm not sure if Svitolina is a genuine threat to Serena, but she'd certainly be pleased if both of those went out here.
separate bets got him on the one I mentioned for 1250 but also if he gets first set I win 13 which comes in handy.

Osaka serving for the 2nd set now. Hopefully she can see that out as she was in exactly the same position in set 1.

1 point away

separate bets got him on the one I mentioned for 1250 but also if he gets first set I win 13 which comes in handy.

Just stuck a double of Zhang (in play obviously) and Qiang. Can't really see Svitolina winning this, Zhang is holding comfortably and Elina going life and death just to hold.

One of those 'hedge' bets where I'd rather lose.

Gerrin.

Last edited:
This match is pretty much the perfect example of why Osaka is miles ahead of anyone else her age. She's 'a ball basher' as I would put it but she drops five yards off against a Sabalenka or someone of that ilk and is more than capable of counter punching and winning a match against someone that hits as powerful as her or even bigger. She's so uncomfortable against a Su-Wei Hsieh who gives her absolutely nothing in terms of pace and just everything in variety but she's capable of moving past how much it bothers her. She's a genuinely special talent IMO.

I'm also a few beers in so potentially talking absolute shite. 145 pages into this thread though, shout out to how great tennis is.

Osaka serving for the 2nd set now. Hopefully she can see that out as she was in exactly the same position in set 1.

1 point away

Just stuck a double of Zhang (in play obviously) and Qiang. Can't really see Svitolina winning this, Zhang is holding comfortably and Elina going life and death just to hold.

One of those 'hedge' bets where I'd rather lose.

Gerrin.
When is nishikori on

This match is pretty much the perfect example of why Osaka is miles ahead of anyone else her age. She's 'a ball basher' as I would put it but she drops five yards off against a Sabalenka or someone of that ilk and is more than capable of counter punching and winning a match against someone that hits as powerful as her or even bigger. She's so uncomfortable against a Su-Wei Hsieh who gives her absolutely nothing in terms of pace and just everything in variety but she's capable of moving past how much it bothers her. She's a genuinely special talent IMO.

I'm also a few beers in so potentially talking absolute shite. 145 pages into this thread though, shout out to how great tennis is.

No, you make some good points there and I think she does have more about her game than Sabalenka. Sabalenka was made to look poor and a bit limited today but I think she has the stronger mentality of the two and I do still think she'll go on to win more slams. Their US Open match was probably the best on the women's side of the whole tournament and I hope they can form a good rivalry going forward.

Great turnaround there from Osaka, 2-4 0-40 and it wasn't looking good, but was kind of one way traffic from that break onwards. Sabalenka never looked like getting back into that match today.

When is nishikori on

It'll be soon, if not already. He was due to follow the Osaka match.

Gerrin. An error filled last game by Zhang and Svitolina wins in 3, 7-5 in the third after being 0-3 down. Pleased there was no super tie break there.

Last edited:
What do you make of it so far? As a Federer fan I trust your opinion more than mine. Only seen him against Fritz but he looks vv good in the heat.

He's looked okay, but if he gets through Tsitipas he's got Cilic or bautista, then probably rafa then probably djokovic. Can't see fed getting through all them.

Rafa looks like the one who could stop Djokovic but he still has berdych, probs dimitrov, federer to get through.

Djokovic has medvedev , probs nishikori, zverev or raonic....
Anyone but Djokovic please!

Back