SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Djokovic is coasting here, looking at the draw he probably isn’t going to get tested at all until the semis, maybe even the final dependant on Zverev getting through to the semis.

Anybody know how to edit the above post?:eek:

Djokovic is coasting here, looking at the draw he probably isn’t going to get tested at all until the semis, maybe even the final dependant on Zverev getting through to the semis.

Last edited:

At least shapovalov took a set off him.

Shame about the 4th set.
So basically the final is Djokovic vs TBC

Last edited:
He will have to get past Raonic first, and he's looking pretty decent

Had played well but I reckon he will be found wanting against a top player, apart from his serve he Dosnt really have enough about his game to trouble the very best, if Zverev is going to be a real contender then he should be beating the Raonic’s of tennis.

Had played well but I reckon he will be found wanting against a top player, apart from his serve he Dosnt really have enough about his game to trouble the very best, if Zverev is going to be a real contender then he should be beating the Raonic’s of tennis.
semi finalist at oz, runner up at wimbledon. I think a fully fit Raonic has plenty to trouble zverev with. I do want zverev to win as I think he's the only one on that side with the game to beat djokovic....wouldn't mind medvedev proving me wrong

semi finalist at oz, runner up at wimbledon. I think a fully fit Raonic has plenty to trouble zverev with. I do want zverev to win as I think he's the only one on that side with the game to beat djokovic....wouldn't mind medvedev proving me wrong

He beat a half fit Federer then he was beaten easily in the final against Murray,that’s my point, he just falls short against the very best so if Zverev is going to trouble the big three then he should be beating Raonic without to much fuss.

Constantly smashes his raquet when things aren't going well, can't warm to the bloke. Respect him as a great player but he will never be loved like rafa and fed

Seems the players don’t like him much either, he seems genuinely bothered to that he will never get the love Federer and Nadal get from tennis fans. Like you say great player but hard to like.

So, into the second week now:

(1) Djokovic vs (15) Medvedev - went with seeding, no real surprise
(23) PCB v (8) Nishikori - quite surprised Busta has made it this far, but he did have slam pedigree in 2017. Fognini highest seed to miss out
(4) Zverev vs (16) Raonic - went with seeding
(11) Coric vs (28) Pouille - Thiem's early retirement made the next highest seed Pouille's journey a bit easier
(6) Cilic vs (22) RBA - Fully expected this to be Khachanov, but Bautista has been one of the stories of the first week
(14) Tsisipas vs (3) Federer - went with seeding and probably the L16 men's match that I'm most looking forward to
Tiafoe vs (20) Dimitrov - Projected would have been Anderson vs Isner, but I much prefer this one. He's had a fair draw so far, but good to see Dimitrov winning again
Berdych vs (2) Nadal - probably the expected outcome. Edmund the higher seed, but Berdych was favourite in their match, so effectively took over the seeding

Somewhat encouraging that 6 of the last 16 are 24 and under.

Similar story in the women's as well:

(1) Halep vs (16) Serena - went with seeding and Halep has successfully come through a few tough rounds
(18) Muguruza vs (7) Ka Pliskova - #10 Kasatkina out early, but given her credentials, if Mugu was in any kind of form then this does look a more expected outcome
(4) Osaka vs (13) Sevastova - went with seeding
(17) Keys vs (6) Svitolina - Mertens missed out, but she now drops out of the top 20 and Keys is much more of a contender (when fit) and comfortably dismissed her
(8) Kvitova vs Anisimova - AA has been one of the stories of the first week and shocked Sabalenka in the previous round
(15) Barty vs (30) Sharapova - Sharapova beat #3 Wozniacki in prior round. Wasn't expecting her to do much here, but quite similar to Muguruza
(5) Stephens vs Pavyluchenkova - Thought Bertens would have come through here, but Pavs was a dangerous non seed and has reached QF of every slam
Collins vs (2) Kerber - Collins is a surprise and she had to beat Goerges and Garcia to get this far.

The American's are doing well here with 5 of the last 16. Only Keys made it this far last year.

So, into the second week now:

(1) Djokovic vs (15) Medvedev - went with seeding, no real surprise
(23) PCB v (8) Nishikori - quite surprised Busta has made it this far, but he did have slam pedigree in 2017. Fognini highest seed to miss out
(4) Zverev vs (16) Raonic - went with seeding
(11) Coric vs (28) Pouille - Thiem's early retirement made the next highest seed Pouille's journey a bit easier
(6) Cilic vs (22) RBA - Fully expected this to be Khachanov, but Bautista has been one of the stories of the first week
(14) Tsisipas vs (3) Federer - went with seeding and probably the L16 men's match that I'm most looking forward to
Tiafoe vs (20) Dimitrov - Projected would have been Anderson vs Isner, but I much prefer this one. He's had a fair draw so far, but good to see Dimitrov winning again
Berdych vs (2) Nadal - probably the expected outcome. Edmund the higher seed, but Berdych was favourite in their match, so effectively took over the seeding

Somewhat encouraging that 6 of the last 16 are 24 and under.

I think most higher ranked players will go through but I can see Zverev losing to Milos, probably giving up after losing a couple of tie breaks. Some good matches there though.

Matches are few and far between now.

Rod Laver Arena, from 12am

P. Kvitova (8) versus A. Anisimova
A. Barty (15) versus M. Sharapova (30)
T. Berdych versus R. Nadal (2)
From 8am
S. Tsitsipas (14) versus R. Federer (3)
S. Stephens (5) versus A. Pavlyuchenkova

Margaret Court Arena, from 12am
Men's Legends Doubles
Women's Doubles

D. Collins versus A. Kerber (2)
Not before 6am
M. Cilic (6) versus R. Bautista Agut (22)

Melbourne Arena, from 12am
Women's Doubles
F. Tiafoe versus G. Dimitrov (20)
Men's Doubles
Mixed Doubles

Promising GB junior Emma Raducanu get's her AO girl's campaign underway later on. She's 3rd on Court 10 (so around 4am) and will be on the Eurosport Player.

Matches are few and far between now.

Rod Laver Arena, from 12am

P. Kvitova (8) versus A. Anisimova
A. Barty (15) versus M. Sharapova (30)
T. Berdych versus R. Nadal (2)
From 8am
S. Tsitsipas (14) versus R. Federer (3)
S. Stephens (5) versus A. Pavlyuchenkova

Margaret Court Arena, from 12am
Men's Legends Doubles
Women's Doubles

D. Collins versus A. Kerber (2)
Not before 6am
M. Cilic (6) versus R. Bautista Agut (22)

Melbourne Arena, from 12am
Women's Doubles
F. Tiafoe versus G. Dimitrov (20)
Men's Doubles
Mixed Doubles

Promising GB junior Emma Raducanu get's her AO girl's campaign underway later on. She's 3rd on Court 10 (so around 4am) and will be on the Eurosport Player.
You enjoying the tournament

You enjoying the tournament

I am indeed Chopper. The time difference obviously isn't ideal, but I have managed to see the vast majority of it and there's been some very good matches in the first week and there's some good looking latter stage matches, on both sides.

I think it's probably the best last 16 I can remember (on paper) for quite some time on the women's side. There's a great mix - 7 of the top 8 seeds still remain (and 13/16 seeds), 2 of the biggest names in the sport also there in Serena and Maria, 8 Grand slam champions, a proper breakthrough for a young talent and 7 are still in contention to end the tournament as world #1.

What about you mate? You watching Anisimova-Kvitova later?

I am indeed Chopper. The time difference obviously isn't ideal, but I have managed to see the vast majority of it and there's been some very good matches in the first week and there's some good looking latter stage matches, on both sides.

I think it's probably the best last 16 I can remember (on paper) for quite some time on the women's side. There's a great mix - 7 of the top 8 seeds still remain (and 13/16 seeds), 2 of the biggest names in the sport also there in Serena and Maria, 8 Grand slam champions, a proper breakthrough for a young talent and 7 are still in contention to end the tournament as world #1.

What about you mate? You watching Anisimova-Kvitova later?
Might do had a couple Pints and my meds make me shattered so il see, yes I'm enjoying it and the line up for the women's looks good only thing is we need williams to lose.

Might do had a couple Pints and my meds make me shattered so il see, yes I'm enjoying it and the line up for the women's looks good only thing is we need williams to lose.

Yeah, I'm not a huge Serena fan. That said, I wouldn't mind her getting 1 more slam within the next couple of years as I hope she sticks around for a bit longer as she is generally good for the game, but it won't be great if she wins this, so 3 slam finals in a row coming back from a complicated childbirth. Mind, her path from here does get really tough, she'll potentially have to beat Halep-Pliskova(or Muguruza)-Osaka and Kerber to take it. She's down to around 9/4 though.

Back