SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Yeah, I'm not a huge Serena fan. That said, I wouldn't mind her getting 1 more slam within the next couple of years as I hope she sticks around for a bit longer as she is generally good for the game, but it won't be great if she wins this, so 3 slam finals in a row coming back from a complicated childbirth. Mind, her path from here does get really tough, she'll potentially have to beat Halep-Pliskova(or Muguruza)-Osaka and Kerber to take it. She's down to around 9/4 though.
Which 2willbe on tv first

Which 2willbe on tv first

There's only one single's match at 12am - Kvitova-Anisimova. Eurosport 2 start with a women's doubles match.

Eurosport 1:
Kvitova v Anisimova
Barty v Sharapova
Nadal v Berdych
Tsitsipas v Federer
Stephens v Pavlyuchenkova

Eurosport 2:
Christian/Muhammad v Klepac/Martinez Sanchez
Tiafoe v Dimitrov
Collins v Kerber
Cilic v Bautista Agut

All the Europort 1 matches are on Rod Laver Arena, so they should all just follow on from each other.

There's only one single's match at 12am - Kvitova-Anisimova. Eurosport 2 start with a women's doubles match.

Eurosport 1:
Kvitova v Anisimova
Barty v Sharapova
Nadal v Berdych
Tsitsipas v Federer
Stephens v Pavlyuchenkova

Eurosport 2:
Christian/Muhammad v Klepac/Martinez Sanchez
Tiafoe v Dimitrov
Collins v Kerber
Cilic v Bautista Agut

All the Europort 1 matches are on Rod Laver Arena, so they should all just follow on from each other.

Anisimova nowhere near the level she was the other day. Maybe a good thing in a long run so the hype dies down a bit and not too much too soon, but there's no real composure and the second serve has been a problem. Bit disappointing really.

Petra is playing really well mind.

6-2 6-1 Kvitova.

Last edited:
So nadal, playing pretty decent to say the least. Can't see anyone stopping him getting to the final

Nadal v tiafoe Quarter final :lol:

Last edited:
He looks a player Tsitsipas mind.
He's better on clay

One of the matches of the tournament. High quality tennis. Shame for Federer but age catches up to us all. As a massive Federer fan it's going to be sad seeing these early edits becoming the norm rather than the exception over the next year or two :( Federer will do well to qualify for the atp finals i fear.
Tsitipas has the potential in future to be a grand slam winner imo.
Only rafa can stop the Serb now...

Last edited:
He's better on clay

One of the matches of the tournament. High quality tennis. Shame for Federer but age catches up to us all. As a massive Federer fan it's going to be sad seeing these early edits becoming the norm rather than the exception over the next year or two :( Federer will do well to qualify for the atp finals i fear.

Yeah that’s three slams in a row he’s now been knocked out early , he won’t win another one now. I never expected him to be able to beat Djokovic anyway but just have to hope Nadal’s body Dosnt fail him again so we can have a decent final.

The 4 women I was wanting to win in the bottom half matches, all lost. Kerber losing 0-6 2-6 to Collins :eek:.

He's better on clay

Roland-Garros on Twitter

Looks like he'll be playing clay this year which will make that part of the season more interesting. Not expecting him to do too much at RG, but you don't know how many slams he has left, so the more appearances the better, and looking to the future, these sort of wins could be the making of the likes of Tsitsipas. Depending on his schedule and what he choices to play, it will give him a(n outside) chance to win Monte Carlo and Rome and complete the Masters 1000 set. QF, L16, L16 exits in his last 3 slams.

Wouldn’t read anything into that match, Berdych is a joke against the big 3/4.

I do think Nadal will make the final and really think Medvedev will get there too.

I still think Novak will get there, but I reckon this is his best chance to lose before the final. I'd favour Medvedev over both Nishikori and Zverev, his most likely QF and SF opponents.

Unbelievable start to the year for RBA mind, 9-0 in 2019 and has wins over Novak, Berdych, Wawrinka, Murray*, Khachanov and Cilic. Probably a 50/50 chance of reaching the semi finals as well, although the constant 5 setters may catch up with him.

Last edited:
The 4 women I was wanting to win in the bottom half matches, all lost. Kerber losing 0-6 2-6 to Collins :eek:.

Roland-Garros on Twitter

Looks like he'll be playing clay this year which will make that part of the season more interesting. Not expecting him to do too much at RG, but you don't know how many slams he has left, so the more appearances the better, and looking to the future, these sort of wins could be the making of the likes of Tsitsipas. Depending on his schedule and what he choices to play, it will give him a(n outside) chance to win Monte Carlo and Rome and complete the Masters 1000 set. QF, L16, L16 exits in his last 3 slams.

I still think Novak will get there, but I reckon this is his best chance to lose before the final. I'd favour Medvedev over both Nishikori and Zverev, his most likely QF and SF opponents.

Unbelievable start to the year for RBA mind, 9-0 in 2019 and has wins over Novak, Berdych, Wawrinka, Murray*, Khachanov and Cilic. Probably a 50/50 chance of reaching the semi finals as well, although the constant 5 setters may catch up with him.
You staying up for tonight's tennis

Here's the order of play:

Rod Laver Arena, from 12am
Men's Legends Doubles
N. Osaka (4) versus A. Sevastova (13)
A. Zverev (4) versus M. Raonic (16)
From 8am
S. Halep (1) versus S. Williams (16)
N. Djokovic (1) versus D. Medvedev (15)

Margaret Court Arena, from 12am
M. Keys (17) versus E. Svitolina (6)
Women's Doubles 3rd Round
Not before 5am
G. Muguruza (18) versus Ka. Pliskova (7)
P. Carreno Busta (23) versus K. Nishikori (8)

Melbourne Arena, from 12am
Mixed Doubles 2nd Round

Not before 6am
B. Coric (11) versus L. Pouille (28)

Collins hadn't won at a slam I think before this event she's been as good as anyone.

Aye, she's a college graduate, so last year was her first proper year on the tour. She had a breakthrough at Indian Wills / Miami last March which boosted her ranking and got her into the slam main draws, but she's done very little outside of those 2 events, so I assumed this March she'd just slip back down the rankings when the those points came off, but this run will keep her safe for another year at least and it's a very winnable quarter final against Pavs. Beat some strong players to get her - Goerges-Garcia-Kerber, mind, Pavs' run has been equally as impressive.

I was wanting Sharapova, Anisimova, Kerber and Stephens to come through yesterday. I would like Svitolina, Osaka, Halep and Muguruza to come through tonight, so naturally, it'll be Keys, Sevastova, Williams, Pliskova :lol:. Mind, 3 of those are favourites to win. But strong chance it'll go from potentially one of my favourite ever QF line up, to a bit 'meh'.

Good start from Svitolina.

Huge turnaround here. Almost 2 sets gone and not even 50 mins on the clock.

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoyed the Serena-Halep match. Thought Halep had her when 3-2 up in the final set with break point chances, but Serena did really well to recover. Pliskova absolutely destroyed Muguruza. Zverev was abysmal in those first 2 sets, he broke Milos in the first game and then went on to lose 12 of the next 13 games. Medvedev caused Novak a lot of problems, but ultimately not enough and I don't really fancy Kei's chances either given his H2H with Novak and that he's had to come through 3 five setters to get this far.

There's no more 12am (single's) starts from now on, so I'll go to bed at a normal time and catch up tomorrow - Tsitsipas vs RBA kicks things off, but that's not before 1.30am our time:

Rod Rod Laver Arena, from 12am
Men's Legends Doubles
Not before 1.30am
R. Bautista Agut (22) versus S. Tsitsipas (14)
A. Pavlyuchenkova versus D. Collins
From 8am
P. Kvitova (8) versus A. Barty (15)
F. Tiafoe versus R. Nadal (2)

While it doesn't seem like a slam quarter final, I'm actually looking forward to Collins-Pavs - reckon it'll be some glorious ball bashing fun :lol:.

Nadal v Tsitipas should be good, unless rafa blows him away like he's done with everyone else this tournament.
Rafa looks fave for the tournament

Nadal v Tsitipas should be good, unless rafa blows him away like he's done with everyone else this tournament.
Rafa looks fave for the tournament

He actually looks like he has somehow managed to improve as a tennis player, sadly still think Djokovic will end up beating him though, or he will get an injury that will rob him of another slam win like has happened many times before.

Nadal was superb there. Tiafoe didn't do too bad, but just nothing he could really do. Tsitsipas-Nadal is a very nice semi final - you've got a legend looking to win just his 2nd AO title, 10 years after his first against a very exciting youngster who'll be one of the most important players on the men's tour going forward and a breathe of fresh air. Don't really mind who goes thrugh, although I'd prefer Nadal not to just blow him away or Tsitsi going through with Nadal retiring like he did at last years AO and USO.

Kvitova was very impressive in ending Barty's and home interest and Collin's fairytale goes on. Petra will be a big favourite to make her first slam final outside of her 2 Wimbledon successes.

Back