SMB film thread 2024

65 sky cinema

Adam driver has made mostly solid film choices last 5/6 year, but fuck me, must have been a cash grab. Terrible cliche ridden predictable bollocks….that scene at the end with the T rex looked like something you’d see in f***ing stingray or blue Peter man..

Pap.1/10

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.

I was expecting it to be completely turd, and it delivered. Rebecca Hall is way better than this tripe.

The little un gave it 10/10 so job done.

1/10 from me, it wasn't very realistic.

Death Proof (2007)
3/10

Really disappointing. Must’ve missed this when it first came out, finally caught it couple weeks ago. For a Tarantino movie I found all the characters quite dull, it’s only saving grace was it being much shorter than most of his movies. Easily his worst film.

The Delta Force (1986)
5/10

Seen this loads and caught it again on 5Action last night. Chuck Norris creating his legend. Not quite up there with Commando as far as 80s action goes but a solid effort nonetheless. That rocket launching motorbike of his 👏🏻

Red State (2011)
6/10

Netflix. Guns, full on Christian cults, horny teenagers and John Goodman . . what’s not to like.

Death Proof (2007)
3/10

Really disappointing. Must’ve missed this when it first came out, finally caught it couple weeks ago. For a Tarantino movie I found all the characters quite dull, it’s only saving grace was it being much shorter than most of his movies. Easily his worst film.
Hate that film, 3 is too high for me.

Saw The First Omen and it was OK, was expecting more shocks and gory deaths than there were but a reasonable prequel. 5/10

Also watched The Eagle Has Landed on iplayer, that was great! Haven't seen it for years but despite the terrible accents and some dodgy acting it was very enjoyable 7.5/10

If you love atmospheric shots of people looking thoughtfully into the distance or out of a window…….
Spender!
Haha, I nearly pushed it to a 7! I think my scoring is out to be honest. I'd say it was above average but not a classic. There's not many movies I'd rate as a 10 (some classics). Most of the best would hit a 9 and a very good would be an 8. I'm fussy like and think most stuff is shite/average at best these days!
There’s never been a 10/10 film yet, never will be.
9/10 is for the time proven classics.
8/10 is for the possible time proven classics and otherwise top top fillums.
7/10 for the merely good.
6/10 for average.
5/10 for poor.
I rarely see owt below 6 tbh as a few mins look about on the internet soon sorts them out. I’ll knowingly watch a crap film if it’s got summet else gannin for it like being set somewhere I know or features someone I like though.

Last edited:
Silkwood [1983] 7.5/10
Story of Karen Silkwood, a worker at a plutonium processing plant who was purposefully contaminated and possibly murdered to prevent her from exposing worker safety violations at the plant.

Meryl Streep chain-smokes her way to an Oscar nomination. Permanently topless Kurt Russell loves her. Cher is gay for her. Another good Mike Nichols film.

Barneys Version. 2011. 6.5/10.

Another Paul Giamatti serious comedy attempt. Barneys a TV schlock producer and we follow his version of his life story through the highs n lows of 3 wives, kids, career, friendships etc. Hoffmans great as his outrageous cop dad. But I’m thinking it’s a bit Woody Allenesque self delusion to see PGscharacter married to Minnie Driver, Rosamund Pike and Rachelle Lefevre. He of course is superb in it.
It’s okish.

Spender!

There’s never been a 10/10 film yet, never will be.
9/10 is for the time proven classics.
8/10 is for the possible time proven classics and otherwise top top fillums.
7/10 for the merely good.
6/10 for average.
5/10 for poor.
I rarely see owt below 6 tbh as a few mins look about on the internet soon sorts them out. I’ll knowingly watch a crap film if it’s got summet else gannin for it like being set somewhere I know or features someone I like though.
You're assuming 'the internet' is reflecting your taste though. I also go off others ratings to some degree but I've watched stuff that is highly rated that are average/shite. Conversely, I've watched stuff with a poor rating today I've liked.

You've got to have some films hitting a 10/10 otherwise there's no point to scoring out of if 10! :)

It's a remake to cash in on the global market rather than a 'usual' remake of an old film isn't it?

I get it’s a cash grab aye but there’s still plenty of people just discovering the first and it’s not as if there was a massive barrier due to the language in it, a sizeable amount of dialogue was in English iirc.

I’ll still watch it like.

The First Omen (2024)

Some good direction choices and occasional engaging narrative points aren’t enough to make this worth the 2 hour run time. I was bored in all honesty for stretches of the film.

5/10

Back