Sky tv Approx £900 per year, Fella can set me up for £130

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to pay a server. the one I use is £35 for six months, there are cheaper out there but some are choppy at times. if you google card sharing and c lines you should be able to get an idea of what's involved.

if someone is going to set you up with a skybox (same as open box) for £130 for the year, I'd go for that. if you wanna upgrade to a better box later, you'll get £40+ for your box off ebay easy enough and can transfer your line to the new box

you put access codes to a server (c line) in the box, then when the subscription channel looks to unencrypt a channel, it does it over the ethernet connection to the server. best easy explanation I can give
Cheers mate. Fully understood. I need to look for a cline service on google.

My dad has just cancelled his sky and wants to know if the SKY hd box will act as a receiver? Its a multiroom box in the bedroom and there is no external aerial connecting to the TV to use the built in freeview. Any advice would be appreciated.

My dad has just cancelled his sky and wants to know if the SKY hd box will act as a receiver? Its a multiroom box in the bedroom and there is no external aerial connecting to the TV to use the built in freeview. Any advice would be appreciated.

you can use it as a freesat box, there is no terrestrial on it, and you won't be able to use the record function

£170, you can get it without the terrestrial tuner for £150. there are cheaper boxes out there but the os on this is quite flexible. www.satstation.co.uk has a lot of craic on the boxes, but talk of cardsharing is banned on there. they're a piece of piss to set up though if you've got a little technical savvy
Whats the EPG like on these? and recording? Does it have 'series link' for example? Does it allow access to sky's full on demand service (BBC ITV Player etc)? Sorry for the rapid fire of questions but im considering ordering one having looked at them.

If he leaves it connected to the dish but doesn't pay sky anything then it will act as a freesat box. He will get channels 1-5 plus a few others like more 4 & itv 2.
Yeah he has cancelled all tv package and multiroom. Has a hd box in one and a normal in the other. Has kept the broadband going with them like.

So should get the freesat channels in both rooms?

Whats the EPG like on these? and recording? Does it have 'series link' for example? Does it allow access to sky's full on demand service (BBC ITV Player etc)? Sorry for the rapid fire of questions but im considering ordering one having looked at them.

any-one looking for plug and play TV with "SKY" facilities should not be looking at linux boxes for card sharing,

it's a linux box. coolepg is a really good sky like epg with a mini tv etc, series link however isn't covered as such. there are plugins for some of the on demand services, I haven't played much with those though. where it goes leaps and bounds above sky is the ability to stream from any file servers on your home network, and also the ability to fart around and really make it your own how you like it

tis legal in pubs

edit: im an idiot

As far as I know the pubs aren't card sharing - they use cards that are meant for other European markets - there have been a few court cases regarding this lately, but as far as I am aware the outcome of these haven't been decided yet. Card sharing and what the pubs do are two different things. Although it is possible that some pubs are card sharing, the majority probably aren't.

The risk with card sharing is that if the sharer gets busted it is very easy to get a list of IPs that have been connected and if they want to be arsey they can prosecute - it is technically fraud. And I am afraid ignorance is not a defence. Not sure what the chance of getting caught is, but it will be a lot higher than it was when people were using dodgy virgin boxes as the sat decoders need a permanent connection to the server in order to decode. The only hope is that someone cracks N3 soon and a softcam is released to decode (but I wouldnt hold your breath)

Last edited:
it's a linux box. coolepg is a really good sky like epg with a mini tv etc, series link however isn't covered as such. there are plugins for some of the on demand services, I haven't played much with those though. where it goes leaps and bounds above sky is the ability to stream from any file servers on your home network, and also the ability to fart around and really make it your own how you like it
Cheers. No series link is a bit of a pisser. It needs to be as wife proof as possible for me to get one.

There is a few youtube vids of the Alien 2 receiver in action. Very impressed like. Looks easy enough to set up and get a card share from net. Wonder why lots of people are not doing it! Risk of getting busted?

As far as I know the pubs aren't card sharing - they use cards that are meant for other European markets - there have been a few court cases regarding this lately, but as far as I am aware the outcome of these haven't been decided yet. Card sharing and what the pubs do are two different things. Although it is possible that some pubs are card sharing, the majority probably aren't.

you'd be surprised how many used to... not as good for saturday 3pm kick off's now though, most pubs have started using IP boxes streaming AD sports

There is a few youtube vids of the Alien 2 receiver in action. Very impressed like. Looks easy enough to set up and get a card share from net. Wonder why lots of people are not doing it! Risk of getting busted?

they're a brilliant box. the server I use doesn't accept new customers and has been running for a few years, slim chance of him being busted if he doesn't let new people in

you'd be surprised how many used to... not as good for saturday 3pm kick off's now though, most pubs have started using IP boxes streaming AD sports

they're a brilliant box. the server I use doesn't accept new customers and has been running for a few years, slim chance of him being busted if he doesn't let new people in
Thats true like. Is it just the case of buying one of those boxes, installing it and buying a cline server? That easy?

is it easy to put the cline in? Ive just read about a secret menu to access it or something.

Thats true like. Is it just the case of buying one of those boxes, installing it and buying a cline server? That easy?

really is. if you buy it from the link I posted earlier, they come pre-installed with Spark (plug and play) OS and the latest version of the Enigma2 OS which is the most flexible one for customisation

is it easy to put the cline in? Ive just read about a secret menu to access it or something.

openbox and skybox can go in through the menu. linux boxes you ftp it into the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back