Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped

Being able to watch tv is not a matter of life & death and the nhs isnt funded by a flat fee by everyone that uses it, regardless of their income. There are no other affordable alternatives than the nhs so its not the best of analogies mate. A basic netflix package works out at about half the cost of the annual fee for the license, what's wrong with giving people a choice instead of forcing them to pay for stuff they're not that bothered about watching?
Fine. Let’s use education as an example. Or street lights.

The bbc is not just about entertainment. It’s about providing content that the market has shown time and time again that it will not produce

I don't think there's a reasonable comparison between paying for the NHS and the BBC mind
It’s an example of a public good. There are numerous others.

Fine. Let’s use education as an example. Or street lights.

The bbc is not just about entertainment. It’s about providing content that the market has shown time and time again that it will not produce

It’s an example of a public good. There are numerous others.

Neither of which are funded by a specific lump sum payment, nor are there easily available, cheaper or free alternatives that you can use, particularly if you dont pay the said lump sum. Back to the drawing board mate...

Neither of which are funded by a specific lump sum payment, nor are there easily available, cheaper or free alternatives that you can use, particularly if you dont pay the said lump sum. Back to the drawing board mate...

Neither is the licence (I pay monthly) but that latter one is indeed paid for by another monthly payment, council tax.

This reminds me I need to renew mine.

Hate paying £150 a year for it as I don’t watch much tv but understand the benefits of having a commercial free station that isn’t ran by media barons.

So your challenge is how it is funded? Fine fund it through tax then.

There are plenty of alternatives to no state education if that’s your argument. One of which is to not have your child educated (albeit against the law).

Because there are no alternatives to a non commercial broadcaster for producing programming that isn’t the lowest common denominator.

You may think the bbc is biased. We can debate that. But it’s not half as biased as the commercial alternatives

Back