1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Spot, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Spot

Spot Striker

2. Butcher's Coat

Butcher's Coat Striker

Worth every penny.

mickeymoor, Lonz, IAmZlatan and 6 others like this.
  3. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

4. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

No, I don't think it should be.

The BBC gets a disproportionately high level of grief for it's alleged biases - but these biases tend to come from across the political and social spectrum and are often unfounded, suggesting that the BBC is doing a decent job.

I think it has a vital role to play as a non-commercial broadcaster that is ultimately responsible to the licence-payers and the state, rather than a single commercial entity who may seek to use it's autonomous control of a broadcaster to further the political ideology of it's owner or board.

On those grounds, I think it is crucial that the BBC continues in its existence in its current format. This is all without adding that it produces a wide range of high-quality content across several mediums and has a stellar international reputation for reliable, trustworthy journalism.

Lonz, Qwerty, ThePistols and 9 others like this.
  5. Teed

Teed Striker

Signed, get shot.

6. Phantom of mobs

Phantom of mobs Midfield

Signed. Bin the bastards

7. The alternative is sky news. That’s what you get.

Will just leave that there

Lonz, Pete, Hep and 9 others like this.
  8. jsdftm04

jsdftm04 Striker

Just people who dont wanna pay anything rather than any reasons that will be listed on the petition like

9. S.S.R..

S.S.R.. Midfield

I'm not opposed to paying for it, I'm against having to pay for it whether or not I choose to watch it.

10. Gingga

Gingga Winger

Make it subscription only and everybody is happy.

11. Lambchops

Lambchops Striker

Bbc is worth every penny - news, sports and music coverage is as good as it gets - plus it produces and awful lot of quality tv

12. duff_man

duff_man Striker

Yes, all lefties, or righties, I can’t remember which.

ThePistols likes this.
  13. “I’m not sick, why should I pay for the NHS?”

Sometimes public goods are important, I believe this is the case for the bbc

Aituk7, jedi_toaster, Tadger and 9 others like this.
  14. Discopants91

Discopants91 Striker

Dinnit pay anyway so crack on.

horselover likes this.
  15. Teed

Teed Striker

This, if you want it subscribe it's that simple really.

16. General Zod

General Zod Midfield

Being able to watch tv is not a matter of life & death and the nhs isnt funded by a flat fee by everyone that uses it, regardless of their income. There are no other affordable alternatives than the nhs so its not the best of analogies mate. A basic netflix package works out at about half the cost of the annual fee for the license, what's wrong with giving people a choice instead of forcing them to pay for stuff they're not that bothered about watching?

17. No. It could be replaced by directly ring fenced tax funding which would be fairer, but the protection doesn't exist for unscrupulous politicians to fuck it up in future

jedi_toaster and Lambchops like this.
  18. Thackeray

Thackeray Striker

No it shouldn't, the people who want this generally want our media to be exclusively fed through the filters of media sources owned by billionaires. Or at least they've bought in to their bullshit.

Pete and Slippery Jim like this.
  19. General Zod

General Zod Midfield

Are saying its worth every penny for you and a few others only or are you saying its worth every penny for everyone? If the latter & it really is great value for money then why not put it that to the test and make it a subscription service?

JohnAin, RichD and Hulkster like this.