Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped

Whats the free alternative to paying council tax?
No bin collection. And having us all running around feral.

I think my sky news example is a cracker actual. That’s the equivalent.

I think that’s the entire point. You’re alternatives are not free. You may be able to choose them thinking they are free, but they’re aren’t

So your challenge is how it is funded? Fine fund it through tax then.

There are plenty of alternatives to no state education if that’s your argument. One of which is to not have your child educated (albeit against the law).

Because there are no alternatives to a non commercial broadcaster for producing programming that isn’t the lowest common denominator.

You may think the bbc is biased. We can debate that. But it’s not half as biased as the commercial alternatives

Cleared that up earlier mate. I'm in favour of an unbiased news broadcaster. The question is how it is funded - general taxation for me. The rest of what the bbc does should be subscription. Given you can get netflix, ITV, channel 4 & 5 combined for about half the cost of the license fee I cant see how it delivers value for money

Cleared that up earlier mate. I'm in favour of an unbiased news broadcaster. The question is how it is funded - general taxation for me. The rest of what the bbc does should be subscription. Given you can get netflix, ITV, channel 4 & 5 combined for about half the cost of the license fee I cant see how it delivers value for money

That's a very disingenuous reply, you've lumped in one paid service (Netflix) with 'free' stations to try and inflate what is available for half the cost of the licence fee.

I’m fine with that as a principle.

That's a very disingenuous reply, you've lumped in one paid service (Netflix) with 'free' stations to try and inflate what is available for half the cost of the licence fee.
Ok then, take out netflix - 3 free channels & 0 paid ones are infinitely cheaper than the licence fee. How is that for you?

Ok then, take out netflix - 3 free channels & 0 paid ones are infinitely cheaper than the licence fee. How is that for you?

It's true but it's also a pointless statement.

We'll never agree mate. I don't think you're an idiot yourself but I think most people who are against the BBC are indeed, absolute morons.

I don’t think it could for any money. Because it’s aims are different

What a bizarre argument. The not liking tax argument

Tax is bad, it pays for things like schools and hospitals. I don't want schools and hospitals, I want an extra £12 a month that instead of paying the BBC, I can spend at the pub.

I don’t think it could for any money. Because it’s aims are different

What a bizarre argument. The not liking tax argument

Tax is a necessary evil, imo. The BBC tax is one I, and many others, are unwilling to pay. I hardly make use of it, I don't get my monies worth. It should be scrapped and they should self-fund through advertising.

Tax is a necessary evil, imo. The BBC tax is one I, and many others, are unwilling to pay. I hardly make use of it, I don't get my monies worth. It should be scrapped and they should self-fund through advertising.

You could apply that to the NHS though.

I hardly use NHS services, but I still pay for it. What benefit do I get from them?

I get the benefit of a society that functions effectively because people have healthcare, so they can go to work and make things or provide things or fix things or do things that allow everyone else to go to work, and all these people pay taxes, which pay for things that make my life easier like roads and street lighting and schools, which even though I don't have children, are still of benefit because they mean that people grow up and can work and be productive and make things and do things...

See my point? People need information. They need news. They need informative, quality entertainment. It's less important than healthcare obviously but it is still massively important.

For someone like yourself who as I recall, is a lefty, I am surprised you feel this way.

Back