Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped

Tax is bad, it pays for things like schools and hospitals. I don't want schools and hospitals, I want an extra £12 a month that instead of paying the BBC, I can spend at the pub.

More sneering. Assuming that those who disagree with you only spend their disposable income on beer and takeaways.

Do you watch any tv?

Not really. Very occasionally. That said, the Mrs does.

You could apply that to the NHS though.

I hardly use NHS services, but I still pay for it. What benefit do I get from them?

I get the benefit of a society that functions effectively because people have healthcare, so they can go to work and make things or provide things or fix things or do things that allow everyone else to go to work, and all these people pay taxes, which pay for things that make my life easier like roads and street lighting and schools, which even though I don't have children, are still of benefit because they mean that people grow up and can work and be productive and make things and do things...

See my point? People need information. They need news. They need informative, quality entertainment. It's less important than healthcare obviously but it is still massively important.

For someone like yourself who as I recall, is a lefty, I am surprised you feel this way.

But this isn't the NHS, it's TV. The NHS is there for the national good, I don't see the BBC the same way. The BBC is not the only unbiased news source out there, nor is it the only source of entertainment (whether much of it is "quality" is debatable in my experience).

Do you see the argument that it’s better for society tho? Rather than Murdoch shaping all the news?

There are more alternatives than just 'BBC or Murdoch'. I would be keen to see media barons become a thing of the past and ownership of media outlets restricted. If we can do that at the same time as the BBC becomes self-funded, that'd be great :)

But this isn't the NHS, it's TV. The NHS is there for the national good, I don't see the BBC the same way. The BBC is not the only unbiased news source out there, nor is it the only source of entertainment (whether much of it is "quality" is debatable in my experience).

There are more alternatives than just 'BBC or Murdoch'. I would be keen to see media barons become a thing of the past and ownership of media outlets restricted. If we can do that at the same time as the BBC becomes self-funded, that'd be great :)
Yeah, that’s not happening tho is it.

I really hope we don’t go the way of the US where Fox News just churns out absolute f***ing shite. I generally don’t believe that the private sector produces the news media we need

I never said it IS the NHS, did you not read what I said?

The provision of healthcare is obviously more important than the provision of news and entertainment, and in the latter it is better to have a range of providers. That said, it is important that there is an unbiased and democratically accountable public service broadcaster, which is the BBC.

They would - people would soon realise what they'd lose if they didn't.

Fucked the quote up @chunkylover53

So would you have any objections to it becoming a subscription service then? If I understand correctly you are so confident everyone thinks its value for money they'll pay the sunscription fee and therefore its funding will be secured, so I cant see any other reason why you'd object?

So would you have any objections to it becoming a subscription service then? If I understand correctly you are so confident everyone thinks its value for money they'll pay the sunscription fee and therefore its funding will be secured, so I cant see any other reason why you'd object?

No issue at all however it's not private sector so how do you propose it's done?

Yeah, that’s not happening tho is it.

I really hope we don’t go the way of the US where Fox News just churns out absolute f***ing shite. I generally don’t believe that the private sector produces the news media we need

Well no, not currently, but we're discussing it so... If we have a tory gov, then no it wouldn't happen, under a Labour gov? More likely.

There's a lot more to US news than just Fox.

I never said it IS the NHS, did you not read what I said?

The provision of healthcare is obviously more important than the provision of news and entertainment, and in the latter it is better to have a range of providers. That said, it is important that there is an unbiased and democratically accountable public service broadcaster, which is the BBC.

I read what you said, you held up the two as if they were comparable. They're not.

Well no, not currently, but we're discussing it so... If we have a tory gov, then no it wouldn't happen, under a Labour gov? More likely.

There's a lot more to US news than just Fox.

I read what you said, you held up the two as if they were comparable. They're not.
Of course there is. But look how news framed the agenda these days

Back