Sending your child to London

Just a straw poll as I'm proper fummin about something!

If you had a child in Year 6 (age 10-11), would you be willing to send them on a school trip to London? It would include travelling down by train, staying in a Youth Hostel for two nights and visiting popular tourist attractions by Tube.
I went to Derwent Hill in Year 6.

We went mountain climbing, gorge walking and spent two nights in what is a glorified youth hostel.

Your bairn will be fine.

We went mountain climbing, gorge walking and spent two nights in what is a glorified youth hostel.

Your bairn will be fine.

Some of them have already been away to Ullswater last year which is similar to Derwent Hill and did all those sort of activities.

Some of them have already been away to Ullswater last year which is similar to Derwent Hill and did all those sort of activities.
loved those trips, raft building, outdoor shit. my personal favourite was orienteering because i was f***ing good at it. half the ***** in my class couldn't even read a map :lol::lol::lol:

edit: hang on, i didn't even use the c word :eek:

i'm pretty sure @becs takes her kids away anyway. can make their own trip, have a great time, and then her youngun can go back to school and brag about how good it was :lol:

She could even meet her cousin there then she has a friend of the same age to share the day with.

The British Library has some sort of Harry Potter/Magic thing on that we might go up to London for in the Feb half term.

You don't see many school trips to the north by school kids from down south. All a bit one way aint it. Lived in London a couple of years and hated it, only go when no other alternative. Always think of Edinburgh as being the nearest capital.

But can't see any harm in kids going to London to see the sights and special shows.

You don't see many school trips to the north by school kids from down south. All a bit one way aint it. Lived in London a couple of years and hated it, only go when no other alternative. Always think of Edinburgh as being the nearest capital.

You don't see that many school trips from the North to London tbf. The huge number of terrorists down there puts parents off.

Your bairn will be fine.
indeed, but the parents would know that in derwent hill (compared to london), their little darlings won't come in to contact with "brown" people... knife wielding maniac is on the job description to a run a youth hostel, but thats fine.

But can't see any harm in kids going to London to see the sights and special shows.

Thats because for posters from the north east, who are the majority on here, it is.

I'm a teacher who regularly organises visits to London, and have also just paid for Little Miss Tomma to go with her school.
It's a hell of a responsibility, but planned and risk assessed in minute detail, usually with the help of a bespoke travel company. You can't plan for all eventualities (I had to take a kid to hospital at 1.am once), but these trips are very rarely done, if ever I would suggest, ad hoc.

Just a straw poll as I'm proper fummin about something!

If you had a child in Year 6 (age 10-11), would you be willing to send them on a school trip to London? It would include travelling down by train, staying in a Youth Hostel for two nights and visiting popular tourist attractions by Tube.
Not reading 16 pages! But as a Y6 teacher who took a group of kids to London (By bus) I would say the kids really enjoyed it and it really helped their studies and helped them grow up.
The kids who didnt go really did miss out and it was a shame

The Lake District is getting very popular though. I was up there last summer and it seemed full of southerners and foreign people. A few years ago it seemed that it was only people from the North East, Scotland and Manchester areas that knew of it's secrets. Lots of places were heaving.

Back