Second Ashes test - Your team

As captain? Yes in my opinion. He's a relatively inexperienced test match captain (2 and a half years). Look at the ODI set up, it's taken Morgan the best part of 5 years to reach the pinnacle.
Good point, but on average a Test captain (for England) lasts 4/5 years
Gooch 1990-1993
Atherton 1993-1998
Stewart 1998-1999
Hussain 1999-2003
Vaughan 2003-2008
Pietersen 2008-2009
Strauss 2009-2012
Cook 2012-2017
Root 2017-

If Root isn't up to the job (I never thought he was and still don't) then is there any merit in persisting with him? If this series is a trouncing then I can't see hem surviving
Just people who have no real experience (Buttler/Stokes/Broad). That won't change.
We seem to follow the Aussie method of selecting the bext XI (ish) and then choosing a captain from that 11 - invariably our best batsman.
I wonder if now is a time to pick a captain and build the team around him. Is there an argument to give Morgan the job for a couple of years and bring some stability to the leadership? Let Root get on with being the best no.3 in the world (or attempting to at least)

Last edited:
Unfortunaly we dont have anyone to replace him as captain.

Burns has a bit of captaincy experience. If he gets three or four tons then he may be worth considering. But would have to have a series like that to justify that - and good innings in Edgbaston notwithstanding, I can't see it.

Back