Second Ashes test - Your team

HeroHurley

Midfield
Anderson will be out, I can see Moeen Ali being dropped but he will likely be "injured". Despite the defeat, I don't think wholesale changes is the way to go. Archer will replace Anderson if he gets through the 2nds game for Sussex against Gloucestershire tomorrow. Leach is likely first in line to replace Mo, He's a capable batsman too as proven at Lords last week.

The changes has to be with the batting order. I've said it before on here and I stand by this opinion, Denley would make a good opener. He's not the had the best of test matches but he could still come good in my opinion. Roy has all the talent and potential to be a good test cricketer, is that as an opener? Who knows but in my opinion, dropping down will do him the world of good. Coming in at 2nd or 3rd drop will give him a chance to play a little bit more naturally.

Burns
Denley
Root
Roy
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Leach
Woakes
Broad
Archer

Burns
Roy
Root
Foakes (WK)
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I really don't think JRoy will crack Test cricket, but you have to give him a fair crack of the whip.
The bizarre Denley experiment should now be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Play Stokes for his batting, and at absolute most a few four over bursts if needed.

Bairstow has been an embarrassment on and off the field for a while now, and we can't afford to carry anyone in case they throw a sulk. Foakes gets runs more consistently, and is a better gloveman. Foakes will add, IMO, a bit of solidity to the middle order.

Curran was excellent in English conditions last year, and deserves another chance at Test cricket. Gets vital runs and wickets.

Unfortunately, Ali is too unreliable with the ball, and the Aussies know unless he's absolutely on his game, he can be easily milked. Leach can apply pressure and help Root keep us in the game. His batting can't be any worse, either.

It's not about wholesale changes as a knee-jerk reaction to one Test defeat - it's looking at the performances of certain players over a period of time, and acting accordingly.

Burns
Roy
Root
Ballance
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Leach

Bairstow keeps his position by the skin of his teeth, and we’re that desperate I’d actually go back to Ballance. No other outstanding candidate and once again he continues to pile on the runs in county cricket. Stokes up to five as he’s got a more sound technique than Buttler imo, and the bowlers pick themselves really.

Where’s NOMOREFALSEDAWNS when you need him?

There’s probably a case to be had for changing seven of the side that lost today, but in reality kneejerks never work. The obvious ones will be Anderson and Ali - for reasons that are obvious - and that is probably all that’s needed at this point.

Burns
Roy
Root
Denly
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I wouldn’t have picked Roy for the series, I didn’t buy into the clamour there was around him opening. Red ball and white ball for me is like a different sport, today highlighted that somewhat because the shot he attempted which resulted in his dismissal was a f***ing braindead decision. However, he left the ball well off the quicks and played Lyon very well up to that point and so there’s is evidence that he can grow into the role. Now he’s in, he is backed for the summer IMO.

I quite like the idea of opening with Denly, he has the technique and mentality for Test Cricket I believe but seeing how the team seem to have gone with Roy to open, again that has to remain the case.

Stokes should be in before Buttler. He has a better technique and a way better temperament for Test batting, I think he’s more capable of batting time than Buttler and I’d rather give Buttler and Bairstow more time and hopefully an older ball/tired bowlers to play their natural games.

Archer is a cert if fit.

Leach is a better spinner than Ali, I did worry about the longer tail, but Woakes at 8 is more than capable of Test runs and if we’re really relying on 9, 10 and 11 then the proper batsmen have failed anyway.

Burns
Roy
Root
Foakes (WK)
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I really don't think JRoy will crack Test cricket, but you have to give him a fair crack of the whip.
The bizarre Denley experiment should now be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Play Stokes for his batting, and at absolute most a few four over bursts if needed.

Bairstow has been an embarrassment on and off the field for a while now, and we can't afford to carry anyone in case they throw a sulk. Foakes gets runs more consistently, and is a better gloveman. Foakes will add, IMO, a bit of solidity to the middle order.

Curran was excellent in English conditions last year, and deserves another chance at Test cricket. Gets vital runs and wickets.

Unfortunately, Ali is too unreliable with the ball, and the Aussies know unless he's absolutely on his game, he can be easily milked. Leach can apply pressure and help Root keep us in the game. His batting can't be any worse, either.

It's not about wholesale changes as a knee-jerk reaction to one Test defeat - it's looking at the performances of certain players over a period of time, and acting accordingly.
That is such a weak batting line up though - Foakes at 4? Buttler at 6 in woeful form? The tail starts at 7 (I know Curran and Woakes are good with the bat but cannot be relied on to score heavily)

FWIW I'd look to drop Roy into the middle order and firm it up with some proper batsmen (Vince/Northeast/BellDrummond) rather than this over reliance on all rounders

1.Sibley
2.Burns
3.Root (c)
4.Vince
5.Roy
6.Stokes
7.Foakes (w)
8.Curran/Woakes
9.Leach
10.Archer
11.Broad

Stoneman
Burns
Roy
Root (c)
Vince
Stokes
Foakes
Woaskes
Leach
Broad
Archer
Stoneman has been absolutely appalling form for about two years, mate. Can't buy a run this year.
That is such a weak batting line up though - Foakes at 4? Buttler at 6 in woeful form? The tail starts at 7 (I know Curran and Woakes are good with the bat but cannot be relied on to score heavily)

FWIW I'd look to drop Roy into the middle order and firm it up with some proper batsmen (Vince/Northeast/BellDrummond) rather than this over reliance on all rounders

1.Sibley
2.Burns
3.Root (c)
4.Vince
5.Roy
6.Stokes
7.Foakes (w)
8.Curran/Woakes
9.Leach
10.Archer
11.Broad
I totally get your point mate - I think Foakes is at least one place too high, but it's about who else do you bring in?

Vince, as good as he looks, can't hack international cricket. That's obvious. Northeast possibly, or I was considering Malan - it's just a sad indication of how poor the options are.

At least with that side, you know that at least one of them can get runs.
I'd also argue Foakes could be a stellar Test batsmen, but we'll not know until he's given a proper place and run in the side.

Sibley a good shout, mind - deserves it on current form

Last edited:
I hope Lords aren't planning to allow the Boorish Army in.

Cricket should be accompanied by the gentle murmer of conversation, the clinking of wine glasses and the occasional braying sound from a toff in a stripey blazer.

I have no faith in Roy as an opener and doubts about him as a Test player. Yes players like him and buttler can make hay when the sun shines but can they dig in when the Aussies put the pressure on as they always do. I doubt it. So I'd drop him down a bit, leave Buttler out and bring in Foakes - taking TheRey's point about solidity. I'd also bring in Sibley.

Burns
Sibley
Roy
Root
Stokes
Foakes
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I'll be frank, I still have little faith in this side, I don't think it's possible to put a good side together overnight.

I have no faith in Roy as an opener and doubts about him as a Test player. Yes players like him and buttler can make hay when the sun shines but can they dig in when the Aussies put the pressure on as they always do. I doubt it. So I'd drop him down a bit, leave Buttler out and bring in Foakes - taking TheRey's point about solidity. I'd also bring in Sibley.

Burns
Sibley
Roy
Root
Stokes
Foakes
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I'll be frank, I still have little faith in this side, I don't think it's possible to put a good side together overnight.
sibley is a bold call. Has he ever played for England before? Certainly not much and opening in an Ashes test is a big ask.

Burns
Sibley
Root
Roy
Stokes
Foakes
Curran
Woakes
Leach
Broad
Archer

I know there’s 6 bowlers there and a long tail, but Curran and Woakes are both not mugs with the bat. Allows us to bowl archer in short but sharp spells.

Last edited:
Australia, same as in first test, hope they win all matches they play. Can’t stand team they’re playing against they’re making a mockery of international sport.

Back