Seaburn developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
A redeveloped sea front is how it happened. And businesses developed to attract people from out of the town.

I don't know anyone from Durham or its surrounding villages who visits Seaham to look at the new houses.

What was redeveloped? It was private businesses moving in due to the new footfall created from more people living there. Actually the only real development down there was a big supermarket which people moan about with Seaburn.

What was redeveloped? It was private businesses moving in due to the new footfall created from more people living there. Actually the only real development down there was a big supermarket which people moan about with Seaburn.
Durham County Council had a coherent plan to regenerate that entire stretch of coastline with Seaham at the heart of it.

People from inland County Durham now choose to go to Seaham over Seaburn.

Durham County Council had a coherent plan to regenerate that entire stretch of coastline with Seaham at the heart of it.

People from inland County Durham now choose to go to Seaham over Seaburn.

Ill ask again. What has been developed? There's very little there at Seaham.

Ill ask again. What has been developed? There's very little there at Seaham.
The sea front and the associated businesses of the sea front.

You're trying to get me to say a massive housing estate is the reason Seaham is enjoying a renaissance so you can congratulate Sunderland Council on planning a housing estate for Seaham.

Which is bollocks.

Have you seen the clip of the people who go to Byron Place and Asda? It's like going back in time.

They do seem to be very vociferous.

Mind, only Sunderland Council could think putting empty shipping containers on a derelict fairground site is going to be a great thing.

There's something not wired up properly in the collective brains inhabiting the civic centre. Maybe a little opposition isn't a bad thing to keep them on their toes.
When I think shipping containers, I now think of the Wylam development in Gateshead, but I suspect those in charge of the sunderland development just simply think a few shipping containers plonked there.

Disagree mate. Seaham has a row of posh shops and a statue of a soldier. The natural coastline is nowhere near as good as ours, not by a million miles.

Respect your opinion mate but I'm struggling to see how anyone could think our seafront can be described as a shithole. Everyone who has visited me up here who has never seen the seaside is always amazed at how lucky we are with it.

I agree our coastline is second to none. But step off the beach and it becomes a bit meh. It's so underdeveloped it's unreal. We should have loads more stuff to do. We're getting there. Unfortunately with our council it's always slowly does it.

The sea front and the associated businesses of the sea front.

You're trying to get me to say a massive housing estate is the reason Seaham is enjoying a renaissance so you can congratulate Sunderland Council on planning a housing estate for Seaham.

Which is bollocks.

No im trying to get you to point out exactly what development has happened other than housing & supermarket which werent a consequence of the affore mentioned & where directly something the council were involved in. Which you're massively struggling to do.

I agree our coastline is second to none. But step off the beach and it becomes a bit meh. It's so underdeveloped it's unreal. We should have loads more stuff to do. We're getting there. Unfortunately with our council it's always slowly does it.

I love the beach...as in the actual beach. It's a cracking coastline and why its been recognised in the guardian as one of the 6 most beautiful beaches in the UK but walk across the main road and the sea front is an undeveloped embarrassment. There isn't anything there and a bunch of NIMBYs thinking they can over rule the rest of the city really pisses me off.

Why would anyone not want to have it developed?!

When I think shipping containers, I now think of the Wylam development in Gateshead, but I suspect those in charge of the sunderland development just simply think a few shipping containers plonked there.

The same Sunderland that utilised the concept way before Gateshead?

No im trying to get you to point out exactly what development has happened other than housing & supermarket which werent a consequence of the affore mentioned & where directly something the council were involved in. Which you're massively struggling to do.
My point is that people are increasingly visiting Seaham at a time Seaburn looks an absolute tip.

You're desperate to discuss the benefits of new housing. Which is a separate if related issue.

New houses aren't going to transform the fortunes of Seaburn and they certainly won't attract new visitors.

They might bring in an extra few quid for Morrisons and some of the businesses down there but realistically what the hell would young professionals spend their money on in Seaburn? A bag of chips every night with a 2-meals-for-a-fiver Italian as a treat on a Saturday?

I knew the council would crumble.
I predicted it. Same as Herrington

Saddens me to be right but it is a Tory area what do you expect?

My point is that people are increasingly visiting Seaham at a time Seaburn looks an absolute tip.

You're desperate to discuss the benefits of new housing. Which is a separate if related issue.

New houses aren't going to transform the fortunes of Seaburn and they certainly won't attract new visitors.

They might bring in an extra few quid for Morrisons and some of the businesses down there but realistically what the hell would young professionals spend their money on in Seaburn? A bag of chips every night with a 2-meals-for-a-fiver Italian as a treat on a Saturday?

Still avoiding the question. Or should i say can't answer.

New housing creates footfall which brings in business, which in turn the new business attracts new visitors. This is exactly what has happened with Seaham.

There hasnt been any real development down seaham. There's been a gradual gentrification on the back of people moving to the area.

New housing creates footfall which brings in business, which in turn the new business attracts new visitors. This is exactly what has happened with Seaham.

There hasnt been any real development down seaham. There's been a gradual gentrification on the back of people moving to the area.
Don’t be silly chuck lad. The place as become derelict in one of the most affluent parts of the city. There’s barely room for a picnic over there for the density of the housing. So how the hell can extra housing be the answer. It’s not like it’s acres and acres of empty fields and they building 2 or 3 thousand houses. It’s already over populated with over population issues.

Youre intentionally missing my point so you can be a dick.

And anyone who thinks Seaham is being "gentrified" is a moron. It's still rough as fuck.

There's more visitors to the town because of the improvements to the sea front. Simple.

So what job do you perform at Sunderland Council? There always seems to be a few of them on every one of these threads being arseholes.

Last edited:
Don’t be silly chuck lad. The place as become derelict in one of the most affluent parts of the city. There’s barely room for a picnic over there for the density of the housing. So how the hell can extra housing be the answer. It’s not like it’s acres and acres of empty fields and they building 2 or 3 thousand houses. It’s already over populated with over population issues.

Its populated by older people. Needs to bring in younger people who will use facilities. It has happened in Seaham

Youre intentionally missing my point so you can be a dick.

And anyone who thinks Seaham is being "gentrified" is a moron. It's still rough as fuck.

There's more visitors to the town because of the improvements to the sea front. Simple.

So what job do you perform at Sunderland Council? There always seems to be a few of them on every thread being arseholes.

Those improvements which you're struggling to describe.

And in true Lowtherism when lost argument accuse them of having something to do with council. Even though ive only been discussing you exaggerating Seaham.

Last edited:
Its populated by older people. Needs to bring in younger people who will use facilities. It has happened in Seaham

Those improvements which you're struggling to describe.
The appearance of the sea front has been significantly improved and a few pleasant businesses have been attracted. Its that simple. That's the third time I've pointed this out but all you want to talk about is houses.

So how long have you worked for Sunderland Council?

The appearance of the sea front has been significantly improved and a few pleasant businesses have been attracted. Its that simple. That's the third time I've pointed this out but all you want to talk about is houses.

So how long have you worked for Sunderland Council?

Those business came after new people moved into area. Why are you bringing Sunderlamd Council into it when we're discussing Seaham & your exaggerated claims Len?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back