Running thread 2022

I love them and find they really keep me motivated during the week. I beat my previous pb at spennymoor by 12 second and felt really strong till the final lap (32:51). Best ever is 32:47 ar Durham which is much flatter. I nearly did Dalby forest when we were at the caravan the other week but I wasn't well... do you have to pay for parking (paying for parking is my pet hate 😀).
Yeah you have to pay but think they give you a code so it is £2. We didn’t listen to the briefing and it cost us a tenner then someone told us there was a code as soon as we paid 😂 if you do it just ask a marshall for the code. Really nice route! I haven’t done the Spennymoor one yet but it is on my list 😁

Alright lads, apologies this has probably been covered in the past on here but I will be lazy anyway :lol:

Any recommendations for a decent half marathon training plan? I’ve got the Manchester half in just under 10 weeks which is my first ever half and longest ever run. My current fitness isn’t too awful, (done a 10k 2 weeks back at 50 mins).

At the minute I’m basically winging it and tending to do roughly 4/5 runs a week including 1 longer weekend run at a slowish pace and 1 quicker run (often park run). The rest being 7-10km at a reasonable pace but not to the point I’m knackered. Not sure if I will benefit from something more structured, as not too sure best way to progress from now until the day.

Alright lads, apologies this has probably been covered in the past on here but I will be lazy anyway :lol:

Any recommendations for a decent half marathon training plan? I’ve got the Manchester half in just under 10 weeks which is my first ever half and longest ever run. My current fitness isn’t too awful, (done a 10k 2 weeks back at 50 mins).

At the minute I’m basically winging it and tending to do roughly 4/5 runs a week including 1 longer weekend run at a slowish pace and 1 quicker run (often park run). The rest being 7-10km at a reasonable pace but not to the point I’m knackered. Not sure if I will benefit from something more structured, as not too sure best way to progress from now until the day.
I'm a newbie so can't give you advice but there are some great people on here who probably can. Can I ask how long you've been running to get to those distances comfortably? I started in may and would like to do the Manchester, as for my first half as i'd like a good crowd around me but think it will be too soon. Im Only up to 6 miles for my long run this week but am comfortable at 4 and 5 miles I have done. I'm booked into Middlesbrough 10k as my first 'proper run'. I think most of the plans I e looked at have either 3or 4 days running max if you are a beginner as rest days are important. Good luck.

I'm a newbie so can't give you advice but there are some great people on here who probably can. Can I ask how long you've been running to get to those distances comfortably? I started in may and would like to do the Manchester, as for my first half as i'd like a good crowd around me but think it will be too soon. Im Only up to 6 miles for my long run this week but am comfortable at 4 and 5 miles I have done. I'm booked into Middlesbrough 10k as my first 'proper run'. I think most of the plans I e looked at have either 3or 4 days running max if you are a beginner as rest days are important. Good luck.
Probably a tough one to answer. I’ve only been back running about 7 or 8 weeks as had a bad ankle sprain back in early feb. Before then though I had been running a couple times a week for most of 2020 and 2021 albeit only ever 5 to 10km but playing a lot of football. So I already had a decent base off that.

I think if you are doing half the distance now you will be fine in 10 weeks time. I suppose it’s all dependent upon how time focused you are but I’m sure you will be able to at least get round okay if it’s more for fun/charity. For context I’m doing it with a fair few from my work and a good number of them have only just started training and have never done more than a 5km park run so you are way ahead of them! I’m sure you will surprise yourself on the day toowith the adrenaline etc. See how Middlesbrough goes I suppose as will give you more of an idea how you get on in a proper run scenario.

Cheers @cooky .I just want to get around. I'm hoping to do longer next year hence wanted to see how I got on in a half this year but don't want to do a small one where I come last 😀😀. I do have no time goal just completion so intend to review at the end of this month if there are still places. Im no spring chicken at 49 and whilst keen, I am sensible and know I need to not build the distance too fast but I think it is borderline doable if I keep feeling ok.

That might help. I tried to follow on of their plans for the Sunderland Half. But I only managed 1 long run of 10 mile about 5 weeks before the run. The rest were between 5 and 10k and running on average 3 times a week. Probably not the best prep, but dragged myself around in 2hr 17. Had I done more training I'd have got a better time.

I got the 255 music.

I haven't had one of those but looking at the features it has a Race Day Widget which might do what you want but none of my Garmins have had it so can't help there I'm afraid.

If that doesn't do what you need you can create a workout in Garmin connect. Loads of videos on YouTube on how to do that

Into my second week and doing around 5.3 miles in under 55mins. Might of done it under 53 had the dog not run under some shrubs for a 💩 I'm only doing 4 loops of a track out the back of the house.

My plan is to do a run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday + 6 mile dog walk Tuesday and Thursday. I'll then be using the weekend as rest days/ longer dog walks.

The best plan you could follow is join a club if possible.
Best thing I did.

I was nervous about joining one as didn't think I was quick enough but found myself in the middle groups.

Most clubs will cater for all levels and you get great advice from coaches or other runners.

Last night my club had over 80 people at the session I go too and had all standard of runners from 40 to 15 minute parkrunners.

You also get to chance to run in club races such as harrier league or relays

Plantar flared up again so had to knock the running on the head for a short while. It feels ok again now, so I’m going to go for a steady 3 miles in the morning to see how I fare. It’s weird though because I play 5aside and my feet feel fine, but running it always flares up. Dunno if it’s something to do with my posture 🤷‍♂️

Plantar flared up again so had to knock the running on the head for a short while. It feels ok again now, so I’m going to go for a steady 3 miles in the morning to see how I fare. It’s weird though because I play 5aside and my feet feel fine, but running it always flares up. Dunno if it’s something to do with my posture 🤷‍♂️
Or running trainers?

Possibly, I should really get my gait analysed again. They’re super comfy walking in them, perhaps not right for my running style though.

If the shoes youwear for football are flatter Maybe just have a try of some shoes for the same gait but with a bit less cushioning?

If the shoes youwear for football are flatter Maybe just have a try of some shoes for the same gait but with a bit less cushioning?
I wear a pair of old Diadora AG boots, fairly flat inner really. Running shoes I have are On Cloudstratus which I think are fairly neutral.

Have a look at the Ben Parkes plans just google it and they will come up.

I wear a pair of old Diadora AG boots, fairly flat inner really. Running shoes I have are On Cloudstratus which I think are fairly neutral.

Looking them up they are for a neutral gait but neutral just means there's no correction built in for pronation (foot rolling inwards) or supination (foot rolling outwards).

They are towards the higher end of the cushioning scale though which alone would cause me a problem if I tried to do all my miles in them & they also have a 6mm drop (difference between heel & toe height) whereas your football boots probably won't have any drop.

Of course it could be something else entirely. Your shoes may be perfect for you & you might just be trying too much too soon.

The running you do in football is basically an interval training session with lots of twists & turns. Running at a particular pace in a straight line for an extended period stresses your muscles, joints & connective tissue very differently or you may just need more recovery between your various training sessions.

Looking them up they are for a neutral gait but neutral just means there's no correction built in for pronation (foot rolling inwards) or supination (foot rolling outwards).

They are towards the higher end of the cushioning scale though which alone would cause me a problem if I tried to do all my miles in them & they also have a 6mm drop (difference between heel & toe height) whereas your football boots probably won't have any drop.

Of course it could be something else entirely. Your shoes may be perfect for you & you might just be trying too much too soon.

The running you do in football is basically an interval training session with lots of twists & turns. Running at a particular pace in a straight line for an extended period stresses your muscles, joints & connective tissue very differently or you may just need more recovery between your various training sessions.
Thanks mate, food for thought

Back