Running thread 2022

So I ran my first 10k last night in 1hr 15m 40s. I put 1:15-1:20 on my Middlesbrough 10k application so not a bad guess. I felt a bit deflated as I found it a really hard slog where as my 8km last week felt really strong and fresh. Could be I'm due an easy week I think. I also had a bit of a twinge right in the middle of my calf which obviously won't have helped. A half marathon in Oct felt fully achievable last week but a million miles away last night. I shall keep going and see how I feel in a few weeks. Next run is parkrun sat. I'm in Lancashire so hopefully find a new course.

So I ran my first 10k last night in 1hr 15m 40s. I put 1:15-1:20 on my Middlesbrough 10k application so not a bad guess. I felt a bit deflated as I found it a really hard slog where as my 8km last week felt really strong and fresh. Could be I'm due an easy week I think. I also had a bit of a twinge right in the middle of my calf which obviously won't have helped. A half marathon in Oct felt fully achievable last week but a million miles away last night. I shall keep going and see how I feel in a few weeks. Next run is parkrun sat. I'm in Lancashire so hopefully find a new course.

Take confidence in that you ran 10k. Some days the legs work better than others and what can be a hard slog one day can be an easy one the next.

The hard slog is very rewarding in the sense you’re testing your endurance and you will become stronger.

Very jealous that you’re trying a Parkrun in Lancashire! You will have to post which one you choose and mention how it goes 😁

Very jealous that you’re trying a Parkrun in Lancashire! You will have to post which one you choose and mention how it goes 😁
I'm in the middle of Blackpool, Fleetwood and Lancaster. Lancaster is very slightly the nearest but course page mentioned hilly so will probably go for Fleetwood 😀.

I'm in the middle of Blackpool, Fleetwood and Lancaster. Lancaster is very slightly the nearest but course page mentioned hilly so will probably go for Fleetwood 😀.

Oh I misread! Still jealous haha aye I prefer the flat ones. I am doing Bushy Park on Saturday in London and then Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire week after. I like to use Parkruns as an excuse to explore 😁

The 10k won't have made you "less fit" than the week before when you felt great. The 10k will have added fitness on top of how you felt in the 8km... it's just you can't have a great feel-good run every time.

You're more than likely still on an upward curve with a better run in the post.

Last edited:
Just finished my second week and completed my first 6m ( 9.5km) in 59 minutes. The route I use is fairly flat apart from a steep climb at the end, and an average 100 metres incline halfway around each lap.

I opted to start a little slower, which in turn resulted in me only having to stop once to get a stone out my shoe.

Going to continue with my current 8 mile target before I change my route for a more challenging one.

Anyone doing the Riverside Parkrun in Chester Le Street tomorrow morning?

My first time in 3 years tomorrow after smashing out loads of 3km’s over the past few months and slowly building my fitness back up again. Aiming to do it in under 30 mins that’ll do me fine for my first attempt in such a long while!

Ran a lap of St Mary’s in the Scillies yesterday. Hurt me ankle a bit, rolled it slightly but think I’ve gotten away without any major damage. couple of days off should sort it.

Just under 34 minutes (provisionally, using my own timing) for Herrington CP today. Sun came out at 8:59, disappeared back behind the clouds at 9:40 :rolleyes:. Picked a pacemaker who finished a bit ahead of me last time and trailed him. Felt a bit guilty overtaking him in the last couple of hundred yards.

Just under 34 minutes (provisionally, using my own timing) for Herrington CP today. Sun came out at 8:59, disappeared back behind the clouds at 9:40 :rolleyes:. Picked a pacemaker who finished a bit ahead of me last time and trailed him. Felt a bit guilty overtaking him in the last couple of hundred yards.

What is the distance? Might give it a go in a few weeks.

I did a 12.5m walk with the dog in 3.35hrs on my rest day. The little bugger got a big fuss and treat at the end for his 2nd bday.

What is the distance? Might give it a go in a few weeks.

I did a 12.5m walk with the dog in 3.35hrs on my rest day. The little bugger got a big fuss and treat at the end for his 2nd bday.

5km. Decent course. A few undulations but a nice last 1km or so, mainly downhill/flat.

Anyone doing the Riverside Parkrun in Chester Le Street tomorrow morning?

My first time in 3 years tomorrow after smashing out loads of 3km’s over the past few months and slowly building my fitness back up again. Aiming to do it in under 30 mins that’ll do me fine for my first attempt in such a long while!

Found it easier than I thought kept a steady pace all the way and was pretty comfortable right through to the finish line.

Managed to do it in under 30 minutes as well I’m still waiting for my official time but the Fitbit says 29:58 and that was with forgetting to press finish on the timer about 30 seconds after I actually did so well happy with that!

So after being cheered up by positive comments on here after finding my first 10k long run tough on Tuesday (thanks to those who put it in perspective for me and gave me positive comments) I smashed my parkrun this morning. Did it in 31m36, beating my previous best ny 1m 11s. I was at fleetwood in lancs and the course was flat out and back along the promenade and, whilst my usual course at Spennymoor is on a bit of a hill, my previous best was at Redcar which is pretty flat so I’m deffs getting stronger 😊
Found it easier than I thought kept a steady pace all the way and was pretty comfortable right through to the finish line.

Managed to do it in under 30 minutes as well I’m still waiting for my official time but the Fitbit says 29:58 and that was with forgetting to press finish on the timer about 30 seconds after I actually did so well happy with that!
Good stuff. Sounds like you are well back on track. I haven’t done cls yet but Spenny is off next week so might consider it. Do you pay to park?

Last edited:
So after being cheered up by positive comments on here after finding my first 10k long run tough on Tuesday (thanks to those who put it in perspective for me and gave me positive comments) I smashed my parkrun this morning. Did it in 31m36, beating my previous best ny 1m 11s. I was at fleetwood in lancs and the course was flat out and back along the promenade and, whilst my usual course at Spennymoor is on a bit of a hill, my previous best was at Redcar which is pretty flat so I’m deffs getting stronger 😊

I used to do the two in Pompey, both as flat as a pancake and used to get under 32 minutes. The Southsea one sounds like the Fleetwood one, 2.5k out along a flat promenade, then the same route in reverse back home. Crap when there's a decent wind blowing though.

Good stuff. Sounds like you are well back on track. I haven’t done cls yet but Spenny is off next week so might consider it. Do you pay to park?

No mate my lass lives in Chester and we needed to do a bit shopping after the run so just parked in Morrisons car park and walked over the footbridge. You get 2 hours free at Morrisons and if you’re only planning on doing the run then you will probably be there and back within an hour anyway so my advice would be to just park there 😉

Back