Running thread 2022

Unless you doing marathons or longer, or triathlons etc then to me gels are pointless. Just hydrate and eat well. No need for gels when running up to HM.

Nutrition can be very different for lots of people. I know I couldn’t do a HM without any gels. I start to feel it around 13km and by the end I’m running in treacle. I know this as I ran a HM just taking in plain water to work out what worked best for me.

I do a gel at 7 & 14km, along with electrolytes in a bottle (I lose a lot of fluid during exercise) to stop my legs cramping.

As they base nutrition advice on body weight, heavier runners (like me at 95kg) need more than a racing snake.

Ive subscribed to a bloke on YouTube who records his runs at a different parkrun every week. They always pop up on my home-screen but I never actually watch them.

This weekends one caught my eye.. must have been a family holiday

I’ll be up in Sunderland next weekend and will be doing parkrun. I have done Herrington, Silksworth, Leazes & South Shields in the area.

I did Herrington in April with a hangover and thought next time I’m up ill do it again with a fresh head, and although thats still probably what I’ll do, im considering doing a new one.

What are the best ones around?

I’ll be up in Sunderland next weekend and will be doing parkrun. I have done Herrington, Silksworth, Leazes & South Shields in the area.

I did Herrington in April with a hangover and thought next time I’m up ill do it again with a fresh head, and although thats still probably what I’ll do, im considering doing a new one.

Hardwick Park In Sedgefield or the Riverside parkrun at chester le street

Did my 8th parkrun this morning...34m 39...30s faster than last week and also felt loads better during it. Whilst I love Saturday mornings, I'll be honest I have struggled a bit with my motivation during the week this last fortnight.... I think this is a combination of not feeling great due to my anaemia and also switching to late evening run as I was finding it cooler than a morning but it's harder to drag myself out at that time. I've just joined a local running group in coxhoe so may see if group running will help.

Did my 8th parkrun this morning...34m 39...30s faster than last week and also felt loads better during it. Whilst I love Saturday mornings, I'll be honest I have struggled a bit with my motivation during the week this last fortnight.... I think this is a combination of not feeling great due to my anaemia and also switching to late evening run as I was finding it cooler than a morning but it's harder to drag myself out at that time. I've just joined a local running group in coxhoe so may see if group running will help.
Consistency will move you forward, don’t give up!

It’s very common to not want to get out on a run, but you will always be pleased you did. Experiencing lack of motivation is common…fight through it and you’ll begin to recognise it as a fake antagonist 👍

Chester le street at Riverside park is nice and flat
First Herrington CP parkrun today. Crap time (35mins or so) but my first ones usually are cos I dunno the course. Better than the Silky one I thought, not as good as Shields.
That's not crap mate, better than me, I was still in the house.

Last edited:
If it's the same route as last year it's about as flat as a road 10K gets.
That's exactly what I was hoping for. I've ran 8k so should be fine for that. I have my eye on the Manchester half in October as I understand that's also pretty flat but it maybe too soon for me. I'm going to see how the next few weeks training go.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. I've ran 8k so should be fine for that. I have my eye on the Manchester half in October as I understand that's also pretty flat but it maybe too soon for me. I'm going to see how the next few weeks training go.

Maybe aim for a 10 Mile race at the back end of September as sort of a staging point?

Book your place – Booking - It's Grim Up North Running (I'm looking at doing the 20 Mile distance on this one as marathon prep so we'd probably cross over at some point)

or

RABY CASTLE TRAIL RUNS - Wild Deer Events (did this one last year & it's 2x5mile laps, very scenic)

Back