Running thread 2022

Hot weather is easily the worst conditions to run in. I had to go out at 9 o clock last night and looking at next week's forecast I'll be going out a midnight some nights (seriously).

Fell em Doon 5 miler last night organised by Ashington Hirst Running Club. There was a lack of speedy runners so I managed to finished 2nd in the 50-60 age bracket.

Cracking race for 10 quid, I do like running the club organised races

Fell em Doon 5 miler last night organised by Ashington Hirst Running Club. There was a lack of speedy runners so I managed to finished 2nd in the 50-60 age bracket.

Cracking race for 10 quid, I do like running the club organised races
Best ones mate, well done!
For anyone interested also is Sunderlsnd Harriers 5k next Thursday 21st July. Fast course, some fast runners will be there but good pb race for all.

Last edited:
Everyone needs a 100% natural electrolyte supplement on days like today :lol:
I've had one :cool:

I find these very useful during extremely warm weather. Helps with recovery and I find I'm not as thirsty during training.

If people are interested, I'm sure i could get a discount code.

Last edited:
I've had one :cool:

I find these very useful during extremely warm weather. Helps with recovery and I find I'm not as thirsty during training.

If people are interested, I'm sure i could get a discount code.

For an endurance event say, would you still need to take energy gels or similar as well as these. This is purely for electrolytes lost due to sweating?

On their website it states:

For best results, take one sachet of Totum Sport 10-15 minutes prior to exercise or training.

During endurance events, or when training in hot and humid conditions, take one sachet every 60 minutes.

Take one sachet immediately after performance to rapidly replace all the electrolytes lost during exercise

For an endurance event say, would you still need to take energy gels or similar as well as these. This is purely for electrolytes lost due to sweating?

On their website it states:

For best results, take one sachet of Totum Sport 10-15 minutes prior to exercise or training.

During endurance events, or when training in hot and humid conditions, take one sachet every 60 minutes.

Take one sachet immediately after performance to rapidly replace all the electrolytes lost during exercise
Yes I still take gels.

I use them during ultra marathons, but not during marathons, I use them before and after them. Purely because of convenience.

Yes I still take gels.

I use them during ultra marathons, but not during marathons, I use them before and after them. Purely because of convenience.

What gels do you use? I appreciate it's personal preference but which do you recommend? Do you take the first one 45 to 60 mins into a run then every 30 mins or so? It's something I need to plan and experiment with in the future.

Thank you 👍

What gels do you use? I appreciate it's personal preference but which do you recommend? Do you take the first one 45 to 60 mins into a run then every 30 mins or so? It's something I need to plan and experiment with in the future.

Thank you 👍

Sorry to jump in. I use Science in Sport gels. You can play around to find your preferred flavour. I find my stomach prefers fruity ones over desert types ones.

You’re supposed to do 1g of carbs/kg of body weight/per hour. So how much you take is determined by your weight.

It can be a struggle getting that much in if you’re a heavier runner like me. As it means I have to do 5 gels an hour. You can also get carb drinks with electrolytes so you get carbs from there too.

I've just had to sit and read that a couple of times for it to sink in. 🤣

I'll work it out.

Thanks for the input.
I wouldn’t overthink it! Just experiment with them first, I usually take one every 45 minutes on long runs. Your body will tell you when you need them, so just experiment with them until you know how many you will need. I use High 5 gels they’re cheap on amazon.

Anyone doing the Durham 10km or 5km on Friday night?
Did this last night. It's a nice and picturesque run but I made the mistake of popping to the bog before the start and ended up a lot further back than a wanted and was frustrated because most of the course was so tight I could not get past people. Still did 45 mins, but was hoping to be a minute or two quicker.

I would definitely do it again, just make sure I'm further up the pack at the start.

I bet Durham 10k is hilly is it? Well done. Back to me and my little parkruns. Did number 7 this morning at my local spennymoor course. Won't lie I found it really hard going although weirdly felt fine once I finished. Looking at my splits I definitely set off to fast-need to learn that lesson. Finished in 35mins- 2 mins slower than my fastest time but looking on the positive 3mins faster than my slowest time. I should really be pleased with that as I've only ran on Thursday after two weeks off due to my anemia but it's hard when you are new to running and want to keep improving.

Durham wasn’t as bad, the hills were at the end but it could have been worse! Managed a pb of 58 mins and that included being stuck like cattle at the start, deffo doing it next year like was a spot on route, legs were just a bit tired from a day at work but can’t whinge when you get a pb ha

Back