Running thread 2022

Can the Garmin's mentioned above be used to help pace and also in the pool?
Did a pb for spennymoor parkrun but 4 seconds slower than Redcar last week-although Redcar was much flatter. Going for my first 5 mile run later this week.

I have a Fenix & a Vivoactive both of which have multi sport capabilities including running & swimming

I committed last night, took advantage of the early bird price and entered the 2023 Edinburgh Marathon.

Appreciate any and all advice.

I'm currently in week 3 of an 8 week build up to get my general fitness levels up and get into the routine of running regularly again. Then I have an approx. 18 week marathon plan I was going to complete this side of Christmas have a break and then repeat the same plan starting in the New Year to take me up to event day...

I wouldnt do the race but can’t understand if they had to change the course then u might aswell make it 10k
The bloke who organises it wanted to make it 10k but the club committee refused as they felt it traditionally should be a unique distance. It was meant to be 6. Think most clocked 6:05 to 6:10.

Found it boring tbh but I work at that business park and run round there all the time. You passed my office on the left at the skinnerburn rd/monarch Rd junction

Last edited:
The bloke who organises it wanted to make it 10k but the club committee refused as they felt it traditionally should be a unique distance. It was meant to be 6. Think most clocked 6:05 to 6:10.

Found it boring tbh but I work at that business park and run round there all the time. You passed my office on the left at the skinnerburn rd/monarch Rd junction
It is a proper boring route like it has to be said. What was your time by the way? Was happy with my 42:24. I imagine you were a smidge quicker. :lol:

33:25, was a bit disappointed to be honest. Finding it harder to keep up these days 😀
Apparantly the general pace and winning time was down a couple of minutes from previous runs. Just what me mate mentioned anyway. The half an hour delay won't have helped anyone.

Apparantly the general pace and winning time was down a couple of minutes from previous runs. Just what me mate mentioned anyway. The half an hour delay won't have helped anyone.
Yeah, slightly tougher course with the climb out of the business park prob accounted for a bit of that

I committed last night, took advantage of the early bird price and entered the 2023 Edinburgh Marathon.

I'm currently in week 3 of an 8 week build up to get my general fitness levels up and get into the routine of running regularly again. Then I have an approx. 18 week marathon plan I was going to complete this side of Christmas have a break and then repeat the same plan starting in the New Year to take me up to event day...

Following a plan is good advice. Don’t try and do too much too soon, you’ll just nacker yourself.

Sounds like you're taking the fun out of it already by doing 2 plans. Just work on building a good base up, enter different events and just enjoy it. Get to January being comfortable to run at least a half marathon and build from there.

Sounds like you're taking the fun out of it already by doing 2 plans. Just work on building a good base up, enter different events and just enjoy it. Get to January being comfortable to run at least a half marathon and build from there.
You're right, I have thought the same myself. Bit contradictory.

I want to run for running's sake and enjoy it...but I want to run this distance in this time...

I have more than enough time to solve it. I'll just concentrate on the present and adjust as I go for now.

Yeah something like this, there’s lots of variations you can do and you can Google for 5k and 10k sessions aimed at a target pace.

A really simple one is what @Daydream Believer has mentioned.

1km-2km warm up easy pace.
X5 1km reps at target 5km pace, with 90 seconds rest between.
1-2km warm down easy pace.

A few of those, possibly with some progression by reducing rest time or adding a rep etc. week on week, and you’ll be good for your time after 4 weeks I would say 👍 only need to do one of these types of workout per week.

I’ve done x12 400m reps as an alternative to this, and basically any equivalent with different distance / reps / rest etc.

They feel solid when you’re doing them but makes the difference
I've started tonight with x5 sub-4 minute 1ks with a 90 sec gap in between. Will see how I get on. 👍

So question re training and weight loss. I've been running since 1st May and prior to that had returned to gym and swimming for two months. I'm a 49 year old female running 4 times a week and am currently up to a long run of 5 miles ( I know that's not long for some :)), 2 runs of 3miles and 1 run of 4 miles. I am doing my long runs on finishing work on a Tuesday and running from Darlington to Newton Aycliffe services. I now realise it is very hilly. The first week I found it hard but this week I was ready to stop before I even got half way - I felt totally knackered, although I did finish it. I'm wondering do I need a rest week or is it a case of the run being too hilly at this point in my running journey. I did Spennymoor Parkrun on Saturday and it was 4 seconds slower than the week before, however Spennymoor is quite hilly and the week before was Redcar which felt fairly flat, so that would indicate I'm not too knackered (time this week was 32m 59s which is down from 37m54 on my first park run on 6th May. So do people think changing my long run to a flatter one or resting a bit would be a good option. What would resting look like - having a week off or would it be something like dropping down to 3 or 4 2 milers for a week? (I've been listening to a podcast called the marathon training academy and they mention resting quite a lot but I don't really know what this looks like). I do have a rest day before and after my longer run. Tend to run Thurs on treadmill as a bit of a break on the knees, parkrun Sat, Sun and then longer run Tues.
Also, I could do with losing a stone which would help. I thought going from very little exercise at the beginning of a year to this would have meant the weight dropping off but it's just not happening. I can definitely feel body shape changing, getting firmer but I really could do with not carrying that extra stone. Have other new runners found they lost weight if they needed too?
My running goals are Redcar half marathon in October and longer term, if my body feels able, potentially London or Manchester Marathon next year or, if necessary the year after. (Thanks for any tips comments as always).

So question re training and weight loss. I've been running since 1st May and prior to that had returned to gym and swimming for two months. I'm a 49 year old female running 4 times a week and am currently up to a long run of 5 miles ( I know that's not long for some :)), 2 runs of 3miles and 1 run of 4 miles. I am doing my long runs on finishing work on a Tuesday and running from Darlington to Newton Aycliffe services. I now realise it is very hilly. The first week I found it hard but this week I was ready to stop before I even got half way - I felt totally knackered, although I did finish it. I'm wondering do I need a rest week or is it a case of the run being too hilly at this point in my running journey. I did Spennymoor Parkrun on Saturday and it was 4 seconds slower than the week before, however Spennymoor is quite hilly and the week before was Redcar which felt fairly flat, so that would indicate I'm not too knackered (time this week was 32m 59s which is down from 37m54 on my first park run on 6th May. So do people think changing my long run to a flatter one or resting a bit would be a good option. What would resting look like - having a week off or would it be something like dropping down to 3 or 4 2 milers for a week? (I've been listening to a podcast called the marathon training academy and they mention resting quite a lot but I don't really know what this looks like). I do have a rest day before and after my longer run. Tend to run Thurs on treadmill as a bit of a break on the knees, parkrun Sat, Sun and then longer run Tues.
Also, I could do with losing a stone which would help. I thought going from very little exercise at the beginning of a year to this would have meant the weight dropping off but it's just not happening. I can definitely feel body shape changing, getting firmer but I really could do with not carrying that extra stone. Have other new runners found they lost weight if they needed too?
My running goals are Redcar half marathon in October and longer term, if my body feels able, potentially London or Manchester Marathon next year or, if necessary the year after. (Thanks for any tips comments as always).
I find when i'm training for a marathon, i don't lose weight, i just tone. You'd have to look at your diet to see where you can drop the weight, you can't outrun a bad diet (i've been trying for years).

Recovery is just as important as training, you need to cycle it so you have recovery weeks, where you drop the intensity/reduce the distance. How about having a medium effort week, medium effort week, hard effort week, easy effort week, and repeat. You can't run hard all of the time. I've just qualified as a running coach, sorry to get a bit personal, but it'll help if you can tell me if you still get periods. If you want to PM me regarding this, you're more than welcome too.

Cross training is also good for running, are you still going to the gym and swimming?

I find when i'm training for a marathon, i don't lose weight, i just tone. You'd have to look at your diet to see where you can drop the weight, you can't outrun a bad diet (i've been trying for years).

Recovery is just as important as training, you need to cycle it so you have recovery weeks, where you drop the intensity/reduce the distance. How about having a medium effort week, medium effort week, hard effort week, easy effort week, and repeat. You can't run hard all of the time. I've just qualified as a running coach, sorry to get a bit personal, but it'll help if you can tell me if you still get periods. If you want to PM me regarding this, you're more than welcome too.

Cross training is also good for running, are you still going to the gym and swimming?
Thanks DA, I do and they have potentially impacted me this week now I think about it :cry:. They have also led me to suffer from anemia in the past. I am due a health check at the DRs for being an 'oldy' so will make an appt and get my bloods checked.
I have been pushing myself alot of the time - it's in my nature as I was a competitive swimmer when younger and the fact that I'm just starting out so obviously getting fitter/better then pushes me more. I think your plan about effort weeks would probably be a good one and would probably keep me enjoying it if I'm not looking to get better every time I go out.
PS congratulations on your qualification :)

Last edited:
Thanks DA, I do and they have potentially impacted me this week now I think about it :cry:. They have also led me to suffer from anemia in the past. I am due a health check at the DRs for being an 'oldy' so will make an appt and get my bloods checked.
I have been pushing myself alot of the time - it's in my nature as I was a competitive swimmer when younger and the fact that I'm just starting out so obviously getting fitter/better then pushes me more. I think your plan about effort weeks would probably be a good one and would probably keep me enjoying it if I'm not looking to get better every time I go out.
PS congratulations on your qualification :)
Thank you!

How about linking your recovery week with your period? I've been speaking with Aly Dixon (olympic marathon runner), she says her top end speed isn't there during her period, but you she can go on longer runs at a decent speed. If that makes sense.

As a swimmer, did you ever have recovery?

Sounds like a good plan. I will definitely do that but also consider my training intensity in other weeks.
Recovery when swimming - no, but that was 35 years ago so I guess knowledge and methods are much more up to date. Training was intense 1.5 hours, twice a day weekdays and mornings only on a weekend. i then did sports in my 20s when I was in the Navy. Really enjoying getting back into it but need to realise the body is not as willing as it once was. Thank you for you tips. This board as really helpful as, whilst I was on school athletics/cross country teams due to my fitness, I've never ran consistently/trained in running or had any running goals. In fact, I always hated running but I think as you get older and life is busy, it's a great escape. Thanks again DA.

Sounds like a good plan. I will definitely do that but also consider my training intensity in other weeks.
Recovery when swimming - no, but that was 35 years ago so I guess knowledge and methods are much more up to date. Training was intense 1.5 hours, twice a day weekdays and mornings only on a weekend. i then did sports in my 20s when I was in the Navy. Really enjoying getting back into it but need to realise the body is not as willing as it once was. Thank you for you tips. This board as really helpful as, whilst I was on school athletics/cross country teams due to my fitness, I've never ran consistently/trained in running or had any running goals. In fact, I always hated running but I think as you get older and life is busy, it's a great escape. Thanks again DA.
don't hesitate to ask any questions!
Might run a half marathon this summer.
sub 90?

Not as scientific as the advice D.A gives but doing your long run on a Tuesday evening after a day at work sounds like it's harder than it needs to be. Could you not get into a routine of doing your longer run on a weekend?

Back