Running thread 2022

Looks like Blaydon Race is going to be a bit warm. Might just plod along, anything hotter than 12 degrees and I seem to struggle
Wasn't as bad as expected tbf. Seemed more hilly tho. Think I did 42 summit but not sure as didn't stop my watch ffs. The nigh on 30 minute delay at the start didn't help matters mind.

Wasn't as bad as expected tbf. Seemed more hilly tho. Think I did 42 summit but not sure as didn't stop my watch ffs. The nigh on 30 minute delay at the start didn't help matters mind.

45.40 for me. I quite enjoyed the new route but they need to do something with the start. With almost 5000 runners they need to have runners starting at estimated finish times.

I got stuck near the back and it was a nightmare

45.40 for me. I quite enjoyed the new route but they need to do something with the start. With almost 5000 runners they need to have runners starting at estimated finish times.

I got stuck near the back and it was a nightmare
Agreed. Sunderland 10k had expected time markers for you to start at. Easy to do like. The usual trying to get past people who are just out for a jog.

Normally drop down from the City Centre onto Scotswood Road but this time we had to go up to Scotswood Road from the riverside. According to my Garmin it was 61m ascent vs 19m in 2019. Also it was just shy of 10K this time & was just over 5 miles in 2019.

I wouldnt do the race but can’t understand if they had to change the course then u might aswell make it 10k

It may well have been. My watch put it at 6.08 miles but one of my mates had it as 6.13 with going under a few bridges & a couple of 180° turns on the out & back bits watches can easily come up a bit short. We'll find out when the results hit Power of 10/Run Britain I suppose.

Like what they had at Sunderland 10k, markers / flags near the start for where to start depending on where you expect to finish in the race ; to avoid having people stuck behind slower runners 👍
Yeah, it's pretty easy to sort you'd think like. The first 1k was bedlam what with the road being so narrow and the mixed pace. Not ideal for someone with dodgy ankles.

How does everyone track their runs? I have a Fitbit surge which has gps tracking which was good but I’ve had it around 8 years and the battery has just about died. I’d like to be able to link with Strava but not pay too much!

How does everyone track their runs? I have a Fitbit surge which has gps tracking which was good but I’ve had it around 8 years and the battery has just about died. I’d like to be able to link with Strava but not pay too much!
I've got a Garmin Venu SQ music edition which is ideal barring the occasional glitch with Amazon music. No problems regarding the running side tho and the Connect app is topper.

Can the Garmin's mentioned above be used to help pace and also in the pool?
Did a pb for spennymoor parkrun but 4 seconds slower than Redcar last week-although Redcar was much flatter. Going for my first 5 mile run later this week.

Did a pb for spennymoor parkrun but 4 seconds slower than Redcar last week-although Redcar was much flatter. Going for my first 5 mile run later this week.
Not sure about swimming, there are Garmins which are waterproof and can be used for that but you'd have to check out the specs for each one.

For run pacing, yes, they are good for that; you can have your actual pace in the moment, average pace overall, average pace on a specific segment of your run etc. You can also pre-load workouts onto the watch, so you might want to run a certain pace for a period of time & then have the watch tell you that period is over and now you should run at a different pace - and the screen will have how you're doing relative to that on.

To be honest, I start to get away from the fun of just running when I do all of that. It's a big help for improving but also a bit dull.

Yeh you can get triathlon garmin watches.

Check out the Wahoo Rival. I have it and love it.

Thanks for the suggestions I’ll have a look at the Garmins. I’ve only done 2 runs so far which have only been around 2km. I had to stop 3 times on the first one but the 2nd one I ran the full way which I was pleased with. I still couldn’t have gone much further as my legs were burning. I’ll see how I get on tomorrow!

Back