Running thread 2022

Seem to have completely lost my mental edge since the Sunderland half. Still forcing myself out fairly regularly but distance and pace have dropped off massively. Just can’t seem to push myself at all.
I find i struggle if i don't have a target, i find it hard to train.

Seem to have completely lost my mental edge since the Sunderland half. Still forcing myself out fairly regularly but distance and pace have dropped off massively. Just can’t seem to push myself at all.

So I’m a month into my running journey and still motivated. I guess it’s easier when you’re improving. Did my 3rd park run last Sat and time is down to 34:07 from 37:50 at my first attempt. Did 6.6km this morning which means I’ve achieved 22.6 this week - my first half marathon distance over a week. I did have to rest for 5 days after discomfort in one of my calf’s. Hopefully it was just me overdoing it a tad-I’ve increased my stretches before and after so that should help and all’s been well this week. Still aiming potentially for my first half marathon at Redcar in October. 😊

So I’m a month into my running journey and still motivated. I guess it’s easier when you’re improving. Did my 3rd park run last Sat and time is down to 34:07 from 37:50 at my first attempt. Did 6.6km this morning which means I’ve achieved 22.6 this week - my first half marathon distance over a week. I did have to rest for 5 days after discomfort in one of my calf’s. Hopefully it was just me overdoing it a tad-I’ve increased my stretches before and after so that should help and all’s been well this week. Still aiming potentially for my first half marathon at Redcar in October. 😊

Don't do static stretches before. Warm up by walking, then doing things like leg swings, kick your heels up to your bum, high knees & lunges.

Don't do static stretches before. Warm up by walking, then doing things like leg swings, kick your heels up to your bum, high knees & lunges.

Thank you…all advice is welcome.

Got the Blaydon race (mag, etc) on Thursday. New route looks a bit more hilly in parts. Anyone got experience of parking over near the finish line and getting the bus back over for the start? Was just gonna metro in but means i'll not be able to bring me phone and stuff.

i'm considering doing the GNR to keep my mate company but don't fancy the £60 entry fee, if i find someone that has dropped out can i run in their place for free?

Aye as long as you pretend to be them. No name changes allowed. I have done it before. Just be aware if they are on powerof10 etc you might smash their pb😀

i'm considering doing the GNR to keep my mate company but don't fancy the £60 entry fee, if i find someone that has dropped out can i run in their place for free?
Yes. As long as they are daft enough to let you have the number for free and you are happy to run with someone else's name on your front. I've ran as a Rebecka and a Steven in previous runs. Paid them for their number mind (donated the amount to their chosen charity) as i'm not shan as owt. ;)

Last edited:
Yes. As long as they are daft enough to let you have the number for free and you are happy to run with someone else's name on your front. I've ran as a Rebecka and a Steven in previous runs. Paid them for their number mind as i'm not shan as owt. ;)

well i'll donate a couple of quid to charity or something, but if its going spare and no one is using it anyway, whats the harm?

i only want to do it to keep my mate company who is aiming for 2.15 - 2.20.

if i was running it properly i'd be aiming for 1.40 , so i don't think its fair i should pay full price if i'm not putting in full effort

well i'll donate a couple of quid to charity or something, but if its going spare and no one is using it anyway, whats the harm?

i only want to do it to keep my mate company who is aiming for 2.15 - 2.20.

if i was running it properly i'd be aiming for 1.40 , so i don't think its fair i should pay full price if i'm not putting in full effort
:lol: Good luck with that. 👍

Got the Blaydon race (mag, etc) on Thursday. New route looks a bit more hilly in parts. Anyone got experience of parking over near the finish line and getting the bus back over for the start? Was just gonna metro in but means i'll not be able to bring me phone and stuff.

Yes but that was the previous start point with the drop off point at the bottom of Bigg Market.

Looks like the busses will be dropping off at the Gateshead side of the Millenium Bridge this time so not sure how that will affect journey times but I'd guess it won't be much different.

Yes but that was the previous start point with the drop off point at the bottom of Bigg Market.

Looks like the busses will be dropping off at the Gateshead side of the Millenium Bridge this time so not sure how that will affect journey times but I'd guess it won't be much different.
I'm thinking it might be easier to just get a metro straight to start and using baggage bus to get my stuff to the finish line now. Then get 2 quid shuttle bus back at the finish. I have no idea of the area around Blaydon so probs too much hassle.

I started running in my 20s, I'm now approaching that half century.

I did a 70.3 Triathlon last summer and since then I just could not be boshed. Even slipped into smoking again...

I decided recently I need to get back into it, I can never stop completely, the benefits mentally as well as physically really work for me. So I've decided to have a crack at a marathon next year. I'm thinking Edinburgh at the minute as I know its a relatively quick course and I want to get inside 3hrs 30mins...03:29:59 would be great.

It struck me that I needed to completely re-set. The longer you run, over time, you lose something I think. You worry about daft things, over complicate things and don't just run. So I put on an old pair of shorts and T Shirt. I left my phone at home and used an old watch to time myself. Not a GPS. I did a 3 mile run that I know and I just ran. I concentrated on my running for the first time in years...no goal other than to just do the run and be mindful to push myself whilst doing it. Instead of running in that comfortable rut I'd got into. I note my time at the end but I don't think about it when I run, I don't check my splits or anything.

I've done a few now like this and it is brilliant! I remember why I love running. It's just ace.

I don't know if I could ever do a sub 3hr 30 mins marathon. Even if I didn't next year at Edinburgh I think I'd probably have another crack, another place another time.

I'm just going to keep it simple.

I did a 70.3 Triathlon last summer and since then I just could not be boshed. Even slipped into smoking again...

I decided recently I need to get back into it, I can never stop completely, the benefits mentally as well as physically really work for me. So I've decided to have a crack at a marathon next year. I'm thinking Edinburgh at the minute as I know its a relatively quick course and I want to get inside 3hrs 30mins...03:29:59 would be great.

It struck me that I needed to completely re-set. The longer you run, over time, you lose something I think. You worry about daft things, over complicate things and don't just run. So I put on an old pair of shorts and T Shirt. I left my phone at home and used an old watch to time myself. Not a GPS. I did a 3 mile run that I know and I just ran. I concentrated on my running for the first time in years...no goal other than to just do the run and be mindful to push myself whilst doing it. Instead of running in that comfortable rut I'd got into. I note my time at the end but I don't think about it when I run, I don't check my splits or anything.

I've done a few now like this and it is brilliant! I remember why I love running. It's just ace.

I don't know if I could ever do a sub 3hr 30 mins marathon. Even if I didn't next year at Edinburgh I think I'd probably have another crack, another place another time.

Good luck on your journey.

class. hope i'm still on it at that age

i've been running all my life and never run with music or my phone on me or anything. not even my house key, i hide it in the garden. i do use a gps watch but more just for recording the distance/speed so i can see progress over the months. watch is essential for short pacey stuff or intervals and that, but totally agree about long runs, its liberating to just go out and run as you feel. although i do wear a race belt if i'm on my own doing 10+ miles just for some energy gells, but it irritates me the whole time

Good luck with your plan.
I ran the Edinburgh Marathon last month at 60. Will likely be my last marathon, legs tighten up as the years go by! Definitely the flattest one i've done so a good choice.
Keep on keepin' on!

Back