Running thread 2021

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Has anyone got any tips about starting? Do I just keep trying to hit a distance / time?

Long term aim is to run 10k. Hopefully to a decent time too.

Stay consistent.
Don't push your pace for now & just extend 1 of your runs a bit more each week - you'll naturally get faster as you get fitter anyway.
Don't increase your total weekly mileage by more than 10% each week - staying injury free will get you there sooner than trying to do too much too soon & getting injured.
Have a day off between runs - recovery is important.
Once you get to the point where your long run is an hour & you're comfortable with that then start looking at introducing speedwork & tempo runs into your routine.

Last edited:
Last year i built up my distances to around 13k. I've not ran for about 8 months and just went out on my first one yesterday trying to get back into it. Managed just under 1.5k and was blowing :oops: :lol: Back to the start for me ...

I've found a circular route near where i live which works out at about 2.7k. My first goal is to comfortably make it round that route - then i'll look to build on that. Annoyed at myself for not maintaining my weight when i stopped exercising as much

My running has died off a little recently. After I did that half marathon, the heat here got insane. Find I struggle in anything over 25 so 40 can fuck right off.

Did a few 5k runs this week in Calgary and Canmore and I'm not sure if it's the altitute (1300m) but I was blowing out of my arse.

Back in Sunlun next week, which will overcome both those problems I suppose :lol:
Long term aim is to run 10k. Hopefully to a decent time too.
Follow this - https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/4051/raf-fit-for-action-guide.pdf

I went from barely being able to do 10 mins, to running a half marathon in about 7 weeks (I'm fit as fuck tbf).

I find time works better than distance (because some days you'll naturally be faster and some days you'll be slower).

Last edited:
Getting nowt but jip from my calf/achilles tendon after a few bits of footy/general running. Seems it's something i'm just going to have to accept along with having more gaps between exercise and regular massages with me physio gun thing.

Getting nowt but jip from my calf/achilles tendon after a few bits of footy/general running. Seems it's something i'm just going to have to accept along with having more gaps between exercise and regular massages with me physio gun thing.
I get that in one leg, been on and off since Feb when I pulled it. Rest and rolling seems to manage it.

My last parkrun before lockdown i did a 22:22. I then pretty much stopped running throughout the pandemic because i just had no motivation without parkrun or any big events to look forward to. Started again and on the 1st PR back i did it in 25:22. Not too surprised i. So throughout that next week I ate well, exercised the lot and went back to parkrun feeling much better… and got 26:11. Last week wasnt much better and I was confused as to what was going on. Last night I had a kebab and a few beers, and then this morning ran it in 24:44 :eek::lol: Buzzing to have turned the tide but im not sure how Ive managed it today

My last parkrun before lockdown i did a 22:22. I then pretty much stopped running throughout the pandemic because i just had no motivation without parkrun or any big events to look forward to. Started again and on the 1st PR back i did it in 25:22. Not too surprised i. So throughout that next week I ate well, exercised the lot and went back to parkrun feeling much better… and got 26:11. Last week wasnt much better and I was confused as to what was going on. Last night I had a kebab and a few beers, and then this morning ran it in 24:44 :eek::lol: Buzzing to have turned the tide but im not sure how Ive managed it today
It amazes me when people say they stopped doing exercise cos of lockdown. That was the perfect opportunity for people to get out, last year was my best and I was at my fittest.

Back