Running thread 2021

I've avoided this thread for a long time due to the frustration of not being able to run.
It's two and a half years since I gave up 500yds into a 8 mile run. Four hospital stays, one ambulance trip, three stents, one passing out in public, countless tests and stupid amounts of drugs later I've finally managed to run 5k. It might be slow but it's progress and the one measure I was using to say I was getting better.
I did attempt the couch to 5k but my meds (14 pills a day at one stage) had me all over the place, so I knocked it on the head. Changed meds recently, getting rid of the most brutal ones, and rejoined the gym when lockdown ended so I could exercise in a controlled environment.
Felt a little better so decided to give it a bash this morning. Just plodded round the lake at Silksworth but despite my heart rate going higher than it has at any point since my issues started, there doesn't seem to be any negative side effects.
Still going to take it easy but plan to mix the gym and the running and target the Sunderland Half next year.

I've avoided this thread for a long time due to the frustration of not being able to run.
It's two and a half years since I gave up 500yds into a 8 mile run. Four hospital stays, one ambulance trip, three stents, one passing out in public, countless tests and stupid amounts of drugs later I've finally managed to run 5k. It might be slow but it's progress and the one measure I was using to say I was getting better.
I did attempt the couch to 5k but my meds (14 pills a day at one stage) had me all over the place, so I knocked it on the head. Changed meds recently, getting rid of the most brutal ones, and rejoined the gym when lockdown ended so I could exercise in a controlled environment.
Felt a little better so decided to give it a bash this morning. Just plodded round the lake at Silksworth but despite my heart rate going higher than it has at any point since my issues started, there doesn't seem to be any negative side effects.
Still going to take it easy but plan to mix the gym and the running and target the Sunderland Half next year.
Good luck mate you deserve a break , hopefully you get there 👍

Well done mate !👏
Sounds like you have had a serious rough ride and many others probably wouldn't dream of trying it again so fair play to you. Hope the progression continues safely and you get back to somewhere near where you want to be 💪💪👍

I was about to get back into running before I got covid, now it's a pain in the arse to do 15 mins on the exercise bike as my breathing is definitely slightly shorter than it was. Tempted to jump straight back into it but wondering if something like C25K will be better for building up my lungs again

North East Runners group on Facebook usually gets a few but you've got to be quick as the mods pull the posts when they see them
Didn't realise it finishes in Newcastle this year, which scuppers me plan of running home from Shields after. Can't be arsed on with getting back from the other side of Newcastle.

Anyone in Sunlun want a deal on a brand new large Salomon Adv Skin 12 in yellow/green? - ADV SKIN 12 Sending it back is a ballache

Last edited:
Didn't realise it finishes in Newcastle this year, which scuppers me plan of running home from Shields after. Can't be arsed on with getting back from the other side of Newcastle.

Anyone in Sunlun want a deal on a brand new large Salomon Adv Skin 12 in yellow/green? - ADV SKIN 12 Sending it back is a ballache
Check out montane gear. Free returns.

Check out montane gear. Free returns.
I 𝓯𝓾𝓬𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 hate Montane stuff. As much as I would like to support them, being a local brand and all, I'd rather die of exposure in the hills than wear their stuff.

It's free returns on Salomon too, I'm just being lazy :lol:

I was about to get back into running before I got covid, now it's a pain in the arse to do 15 mins on the exercise bike as my breathing is definitely slightly shorter than it was. Tempted to jump straight back into it but wondering if something like C25K will be better for building up my lungs again
Can't hurt to give it a bash. You can always skip a few weeks if you're finding it too easy

I 𝓯𝓾𝓬𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 hate Montane stuff. As much as I would like to support them, being a local brand and all, I'd rather die of exposure in the hills than wear their stuff.

It's free returns on Salomon too, I'm just being lazy :lol:
Why? 😂

Back