Running thread 2021

Does anyone know the craic about deferring a number to someone else for the Durham run on Thursday? My Dad has a number but has an injury so can't do it, so I was fancying it. Will it be ok just to use his number or do we have to ask them?

Does anyone know the craic about deferring a number to someone else for the Durham run on Thursday? My Dad has a number but has an injury so can't do it, so I was fancying it. Will it be ok just to use his number or do we have to ask them?
Don't say out and crack on, probably too late.

I normally take the chip off if I take a number from a club runner......
Don't swap numbers without informing the organisers.
Whether the organisers allow it or not is a different matter. They should but some don't.
I know the Pier to Pier allows transfers up to the day before the race.

Depending on who is timing the event, they may have a count of finishers and a count of chip reads which don't match.
They will then search through videos of the finish to try and find the missing runner and will insert the runner into the results manually after the event, assuming the chip was faulty.
Some timing companies don't bother and just investigate when a runner complains that the results are wrong.

A few years ago at the Pier to Pier race, over half of the women's prizes were awarded to men because people had swapped numbers and men were running in women's numbers.
There was a Great North Runner from Boldon who ran one of the all time top 10 fastest half marathons for an over 70 and was named in the newspapers .. but it was really a 40 year old that ran in his number.

I've seen first hand the problems caused by number swapping.
Affiliated or not, with the chip or not, don't run in someone else's number.

Did the Chopwell Duathlon last month (5,10,2.5) and enjoyed it. Was my first event but already signed up for more.

Got Derwent Resevoir Duathlon (10, 40, 5) on 5th September, GNR on 12th September then Kielder Duathlon (11, 25, 6) 2nd October.

I’m pretty slow (55 minute 10k & usually do 21km/h on a hilly bike ride) but doing events gives me motivation to actually do some training and just finishing them is enough for me.

Start Fitness giving 15% discount off Saucony using the code SAUCONYSUMMER15. Used it to buy some Endorphin Speed 2's which after a couple of runs feel fantastic.

So hot today like wasn’t it! Spent some time in the Cheviots, got out at 8am and was fine but from 10am just ridiculous.

The lad who re-set the pennine way record a few weeks back is doing the wainwright’s in one , set off from Keswick at 10am this morning. He’s some runner - watch out for a FTK I think, although he hasn’t said he is going to aim for it.

John Kelly on Instagram / Twitter.

So hot today like wasn’t it! Spent some time in the Cheviots, got out at 8am and was fine but from 10am just ridiculous.

The lad who re-set the pennine way record a few weeks back is doing the wainwright’s in one , set off from Keswick at 10am this morning. He’s some runner - watch out for a FTK I think, although he hasn’t said he is going to aim for it.

John Kelly on Instagram / Twitter.
I went out too late as well was meant to do 18 with 10 at marathon pace, realised it was stupid and just did it normal but even that was way slower, is main thing this weather though know you cant run as fast as usual and just go with it. Even had to stop and buy a drink which never do had to be one of those people with their tshirt pulled over their face as never take a mask running.

Hit a bit of a snag a couple of weeks ago with some calf strain. Then tried to do the gateshead 10k 2 days later was fine running down hill or flat but after 6k I couldn't run up hill still managed 53 minutes which j was suprised about.

Had a bit of a rest and eased back into it. Started a short training plan for the marathon and really enjoying it. Really hard work but feel good after. Ice also started using compression sleeves on my calfs which has worked a treat so far. Really hoping I can keep up with training dont fancy hating every moment of the marathon.

Back