Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second crack at the Marathon yesterday in Edinburgh. 4:10 which beat my first attempt by 8 minutes. Really pleased with that, Training wasn’t great at all so happy to still have been feeling strong in the second half

Great time mate!

Managed 4:28 myself, first ever marathon and was going for 4:30 so pretty chuffed with that! Kept to the strategy I had planned and really enjoyed it after letting myself down in the GNR last year.

I’m a good stone overweight still and have a bit of a weird running style, but I have an ultra in my sights in the long term and felt good yesterday, better than I thought I would.

Great time mate!

Managed 4:28 myself, first ever marathon and was going for 4:30 so pretty chuffed with that! Kept to the strategy I had planned and really enjoyed it after letting myself down in the GNR last year.

I’m a good stone overweight still and have a bit of a weird running style, but I have an ultra in my sights in the long term and felt good yesterday, better than I thought I would.
Was wondering how you got on, well done mate

Anyone know anyone that might get use out of a Fitbit Blaze? I’ve just bought a Garmin so want rid, works as new. £40 for a fellow SMBer and comes with the USB charger and an additional strap which is a bit smarter.

Sub two hour HM in my sights now, got vale of york in september which is meant to be a nice flat course. Won't have 8 pints and a spicy pizza the night before either, thank god for portaloo's around the Liverpool course!

Full marathon in 2020 too I think.

Did Liverpool half on Sunday. I'd recommend it as a good PB course. Although there was a bit of a headwind coming up the river at the end

How would one set about doing an ultra?

It’s either that or train for a sub 4 hour marathon, I’m miles away from the second one but from what I’ve read and if I lose a bit weight I could likely pull off a 50 miler with a year or so training.

It’s either that or train for a sub 4 hour marathon, I’m miles away from the second one but from what I’ve read and if I lose a bit weight I could likely pull off a 50 miler with a year or so training.
Enter it and do it. Don't over think it. If it's hilly, train on hills. Learn how to eat.

What race?

I'm doing Manchester to Liverpool 50m next Easter.

Just need to sort out food tbh. Long back to back runs will get body ready.

Enter it and do it. Don't over think it. If it's hilly, train on hills. Learn how to eat.

What race?
Carrying too much timber to be lugging this around for 50 miles, gonna give myself a year to do it. Haven’t got a clue which one, just a desire and a feeling that although not fast I can go pretty far if I push myself.

I'm doing Manchester to Liverpool 50m next Easter.

Just need to sort out food tbh. Long back to back runs will get body ready.
Back to back you mean two long runs consecutive days? I’m crippled off the marathon like!

Last edited:
Great time mate!

Well done mate! To beat your target in your first is no easy feat! I was going for sub 4 last time and my legs just blew up.

Sub 4 still the ultimate aim, but need a quieter build up and to lose a stone or so as well. Niggly injuries, promotion at work and accepting them as valid excuses meant I felt way underprepared. But mentally on the day I felt so much better than last time.

Was a good day with decent crowds like

Carrying too much timber to be lugging this around for 50 miles, gonna give myself a year to do it. Haven’t got a clue which one, just a desire and a feeling that although not fast I can go pretty far if I push myself.

Back to back you mean two long runs consecutive days? I’m crippled off the marathon like!
Yeah my training plan shows 20 Saturday then 20 Sunday.
Obviously that's after about 13 weeks of good training.

Ripon Round looks good. 37 miles.

Last edited:

I'm fat and I manage ultras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back